Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

I have concluded that the middle portion of the helmet is messing up getting my proportions to mirror each other, so I have decided to remove it and get the shape perfected first.

Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Chris
      Persistent Member
      • Dec 23, 2009

That is stellar. Without the flaps and leather it looks like the head gear that Yule Brenner wore in The Ten Commandments.
      If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Captain_Mego
        Vet.
        • May 22, 2007

yeah thats cool I am totally digging this.

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

Viewed from above:

Really glad I took down the middle of the helmet and just got the left and right balanced. The middle piece was really making it hard to adjust the shape evenly. Now I'm going to adjust the bottom edge and smooth everything out before I add the middle portion of the helmet. I can't wait. This helmet is going to eat a lot of molding material. Getting the leather flap to lay correctly is going to be an adventure in itself. I have heard horror stories...but I think I know how to cut out the leather to make it lay properly. That's what happens when one of your peculiar habits is seeing how darts and seams affect the lay of the garment.
          Last edited by jessica; Apr 21, '11, 2:54 AM.

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• LAST SON OF KRYPTON
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 15, 2010

That is one BIG amazing project you're doing there!!
            I'm here to fight for truth, and justice, and the American way.

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

Behold...my General Ursus helmet...slowly comes to life. I can't wait to work on the hieroglyphs.

I'm not really digging these superhero legs for Cornelius (Zica body), so I decided to trim the muscles down and make it more realistic. I need to smooth them down some more, but since he won't be naked anytime soon I don't think it's necessary.
              Last edited by jessica; Apr 26, '11, 3:03 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• Meule
                Verbose Member
                • Nov 14, 2004

Great job so far on that helmet Jess, looking forward to seeing it done
                "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

My sister asked what was under the helmet. I told her a ball of newspaper. She saw me taping it up. Guess she didn't remember. Anyhoo...I am stalling now with the helmet wondering what to do next...fiberglass (which I have no clue about--which means I should do more homework) vs. resin (have minor experience but only 1:9 or 1:6 scale). Do I make the hieroglyphs now or do them later when the leather wraps up the helmet? Decisions, decisions! I can't wait to wrap it in leather. I really love leather and working with leather.

I was embarassed to post this, but here's my ghetto setup of the helmet's armature. Believe it or not, that's how the helmet started.

Check this out! Mego scale ape's new suit...

Still futzing with this guy. Happier now with him than before, but not ecstatically happy.

May 6--I just splurged for some leather paint from turtle feathers. I need that to paint my embossed leather hieroglyphs and also the leather of my Ursus helmet, so that I can color it gun metal purple/blue.

Teaser shots. Not going to pursue helmet though. Just was bored and decided to take a stab at it. I've got way too much unfinished business to take care of.

I thought this Link was garbage, but I guess he can be salvaged! The sculpt was oversized for a teen-age sized figure, but sits OK on a full grown male body. I guess I will have to try to put something together in my spare time...

UGH! Sewing dresses for the daycare production. Six total dresses to be made, but material is fussy and sparkly and has lots of tule to be gathered. I've already gone through 20 yards of tule and need to get 8 more yards. Tomorrow I will purchase more fabric, cut out the dresses based on the measurements taken, and gather all the frou-frou. My sewing partner will sew together the dresses and add the frou frou. Think dreamgirls. Double ugh. After this, I can go back to working on my dollies and other people's dollies. I am dying to sculpt an ape though. That will have to wait.
                  Last edited by jessica; May 12, '11, 2:21 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

This is what I will be working on as soon as daycare costumes are done:

Mego scale:

1:6 scale:

I am planning on real leather for this one:

And I'm still futzing with this, but I will make it happen:

Yay! I just finished 2 dresses for daycare. The other 4 dresses are with my sewing partner. Looks like I will have to buy more tulle. :(

I'm going to study the boiler suit for Chris's gorilla, so I can cut out the fabric tomorrow, if I have time I would like to finish it so I can start my other sewing projects. I just wish I knew where I put Caesar's jumpsuit. If I had it in hand it would make the sewing so much faster since I can just eyeball it.
                    Last edited by jessica; May 21, '11, 1:13 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 23, 2009

The red jumpsuit is going to look great. If you want to make Ceasar's leather jacket in 1:6 I'd be interested.
                      If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

I was able to bake another Urko foam latex successfully today. Today I tried to bake a Zira, and she did not turn out as well as I wanted. I think she's fix-able though--there were some bubbles because the foam latex started to gel on me in the bowl and I really had to work fast. I've washed out the Zira foam latex, squeezed it dry, and it's now drying on a towel. There is a small convention I am planning on attending Saturday in costume. The last time I went to that convention, it was two years ago and I had the travelling Custom Mego with me. I wonder whatever happened to that figure? I am craving to go ape, and painting my nails black is not cutting it. I have to go all out. Like my sister says, go big or go home.

To do list:

Comment

• MEGO_SUPERMAN
                          Say No To Kryptonite!
                          • May 9, 2011

AWESOME STUFF! Damn Dirty Apes!
                          Truth, Justice and Megos THAT is the American Way!

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan! - Ron Burgundy KVWN Channel 4 News Team

A picture is worth a thousand words. A Chuck Norris is worth 1 billion words. - Chuck Norris

You know what? I can already tell that I don't like you. And I'm probably not gonna like you no matter how many pull-ups or push-ups you do. All right, anybody who wants to pick on anybody in class, aim for him, 'cause I'm not watchin'. -Kenny Powers

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

Whoo! 40-gun salute in Ape City. Perfect cast, using the last drops of my foam latex. It took 3 hours before I found out it was perfect cause that's how long I had to bake her. Yay! Going to have to order some more...anybody need any super fancy sewing done? Just kidding.

To do list:

Comment

• Fire Marshal Bill
                              Career Member
                              • Jul 25, 2010

Originally posted by jessica
                              ...anybody need any super fancy sewing done
                              Why, yes i do as a matter of fact.......... . See my thread in the Custom Mego Discussion forum.

Glad your cast came out well. Can't wait to see the finished product!
                              Vintage Toy Rescue
                              1614-B N State Hwy 161
                              Grand Prairie, TX 75050
                              (972) 740-4424

www.vintagetoyrescue.com

Comment

• MEGO_SUPERMAN
                                Say No To Kryptonite!
                                • May 9, 2011

Man that is some quality stuff!
                                Truth, Justice and Megos THAT is the American Way!

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan! - Ron Burgundy KVWN Channel 4 News Team

A picture is worth a thousand words. A Chuck Norris is worth 1 billion words. - Chuck Norris

You know what? I can already tell that I don't like you. And I'm probably not gonna like you no matter how many pull-ups or push-ups you do. All right, anybody who wants to pick on anybody in class, aim for him, 'cause I'm not watchin'. -Kenny Powers

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎