Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 23, 2009

You're right that is the best ape make-up you have done yet. That's amazing. I love the outfit too. you even have made a place for a pen. I'll have to look closer for the glyph. Zaius' appliance looks like it needs your skillful touch.
    If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Obibob
      Museum Super Collector
      • Jul 27, 2007

First of all, great job on the ape mask/costume. I've seen several of the original costumes from the movies and I would be hard-pressed to tell them apart from your efforts. As for the mask/appliances, well let's just say that John Chambers would be proud...well done!

Anyway, you mentioned something about having some of the Conspiracy of the POTA trading cards on hand - if you still happen to have any, I would love to get my hands on some of them. I tried to send you a pm, but it bounced back due to mailbox limitations...

Let me know and thanks either way.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

I came across this video and there is a quick flash of an ape-girl at the beginning... is that you Jessica?
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR0Ki...embedded#at=13
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• jessica
          fortune favors the bold
          • Nov 5, 2007

OMG that was me. I was going to say that's Chewbacca...but yes, that was me. thank you.

I'm going to try to remember to take a videotape next time. It's cool to see me moving around in costume.

Here's a clearer shot of the hieroglyph. As you can see, I didn't have a chance to replace the half moon above the pocket.

Horrible photo ID but slightly amusing...

August 10--Now that I'm back from vacation I guess I should sew Ashton his Blue Angels flight suit inbetween doing laundry. Otherwise he'll be disappointed.

I love my new chair!! $5 from Ross, as it was the only one (it's really a book end). But whatever! I love it anyway...

Cornelius needs a nose job. His nose is crooked...

I decided to rework Cornelius and thin the sculpt as much as possible because I want his prosthetics to be as expressive as Zira's.

WOW! There is no greater compliment than finding a private message from a friend on facebook located way on the other side of the continental divide to find out that their avatar is your picture in full ape gear. LOL!!

Minor changes. Probably need to go over the sculpt one last time and clean up the monster clay and then it's time mix some Ultracal30.

Color reference for Sulu:

Pushing paints around:
          Last edited by jessica; Aug 23, '11, 6:36 PM.
          Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
          Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
          1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
          1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

I believe Cornelius is ready for a mold! I hope it looks like him...then again, it's hard to tell without someone underneath the mask.

99-cent laundry basket I found at Walgreens:
            Last edited by jessica; Aug 24, '11, 6:20 PM.

To do list:
            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• Chris
              Persistent Member
              • Dec 23, 2009

Cornelius looks stunning! The chair and laundry basket look good too.
              If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

That chair is a perfect fit for the style of the Apes furniture, great find.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

So many things happening in Ape City!

I finally found someone brave enough to go under the goo as my Cornelius. Unfortunately, Wondercon may be moved to Anaheim for 2012 due to construction at the Moscone Center. Which just totally sucks.

I was invited to attend a special effects makeup party at this guy's house and learned a lot. I know the concept, and lack the practice, but I can replicate the zombie makeup now.

mic_the_scallywag by catathesis, on Flickr

I am currently working on painting up of some Mego scale heads. I wish I could find the magic formula for a specific skin tone but I can't.

I am also going to make another pullover mask from an Apemania gorilla and sell it to fund my expensive makeup habit. Like father, like son!! I bought real hair yesterday to hair up this gorilla and a Dr. Zaius from Apemania.

Quickie sculpt for practice. I may turn him into a Santa Claus ornament eventually...make molds and cast about a dozen of these for my Christmas tree.

Cornelius sculpt for a future foam latex is looking better. Found the perfect solution for his skin texture. The LCD on my camera is snowed out so I can't tell what the heck I am photographing until I have uploaded so I apologize. A new camera to replace the features of this one will set me back $335.

I. Really. Hate. Blurry. Photos...grrr...

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                    Persistent Member
                    • Dec 23, 2009

Bill Blake said that they used Grapefruit or oranage skin impressions for the apes. If you have his email or phone number he might be able to clue you in. Brian from apemania might know too.

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

Chris I know how to get those impressions. If I get a camera soon I will take a closeup of the Apemania gorilla skin texture, and you will see it's not a grapefruit impression. It's actually lines that someone meticulously sculpted. It's really beautiful!

Hmm....I may tear off the hair and redo. I think it can look better.
                      Last edited by jessica; Sep 4, '11, 1:08 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                        Persistent Member
                        • Dec 23, 2009

The gorilla turned out phenominal. I like the hair.

Comment

• Nefud
                          Museum Patron
                          • Mar 17, 2009

This is my favorite thread on the board.

Comment

• Pascal
                            Museum Patron
                            • May 8, 2008

Whaw the gorilla !!!

Comment

• jessica
                              fortune favors the bold
                              • Nov 5, 2007

Bought a new camera. On sale for $119. I think I'm going to return it. I don't like the macro feature for this point and shoot. I will just have to bite the bullet and get the one I wanted for $330. :(

Cornelius skin texture:

Apemania gorilla skin texture:

Garden macro shots. Not as great as my old camera:

Garden panoramic shot:

To do list:

Comment

• Chris
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 23, 2009

Cornelius is perfect! Will the mouth move on the gorilla mask? I guess you could wear it as a pullover and also glue down the eye holes to your skin.

This Halloween I'm set but I'm thinking Conquest Gorilla for 2012.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎