Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond needs to re-examine retro Marvel license in 2016...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tllgn
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 6, 2010

I have just about all the orignal megos loose ,some ,a small amount in packages ,what i like about the repros of the orignals is that they take you back to childhood seeing them new in the package ,and that your classics are not the targets of children wanting to play with them (they can play with the repros)if the classics are on display their usually protected ,or like fine jewlery put away while you display the fakes,from children ,dogs (who hasnt had a dog eat one of your guys).if a retro repro of a classic mego gets trashed ,bashed or chewed up -Who cares,you can always get another,But who has big bucks to replace a classic now and then for what they go for . i love all the new figures and collecting them is like mego continued ,but i still love the remakes more ,you can display them pose them ,and give them to kids ,and relive your childhood a bit ,and if you spill coffee on them ,"at least its not my orginal that just got his suite ruined .

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
      I think the secret identity figures (Peter Parker, Donald Blake, Steve Rogers, etc.) plays a big role in the appeal. Because you can apply him to either the retro figure or the modern one. I still think my Werewolf by Night idea would work within your license - Werewolf figure, Jack Russell Head and outfit, and then a Moon Knight head and outfit. If the license says you can only have one figure then game that and give us a hero, secret identity, and villain. Drop the whole hero duplication and just offer a adventure set that offers something new across the board. That would be very exciting. I mentioned this to Paul and it got his attention.
      I agree! That's a great idea. It would even allow for DST to offer say, a Retro style Spider-Man, Peter Parker, Green Goblin set, and later down the line a modern Spider-Man, Parker, Green Goblin set. That allows a chance for DST to make two versions of the Green Goblin, when right now, we might get none.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

That doesn't work with the license.

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          That doesn't work with the license.
          Paul liked it and said he was going to look into it. Perhaps there's wiggle room to do something else.

Comment

• ovenmitt
            Persistent Member
            • May 26, 2009

I like this idea! Hero, Secret ID, and Villain! Or if hero has no secret ID or main villain how about a supporting character? A 2nd Spidey set could have Mary Jane Watson instead of Peter again even though she would require female body.

More characters out quicker!
            Last edited by ovenmitt; Jan 24, '16, 2:47 PM.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

The way I understand the license, the parameters are one character, one body. I'm not sure what kind of wiggle room there may be (such as: is Dr Doom considered the same or different character than Doom 2099 for example, or if Steve Rogers becomes Nomad could he be included in a Cap set?) but I would not expect to see Spiderman, Mary Jane, and Green Goblin in the same package.
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• wise guy
                Career Member
                • Dec 29, 2014

I am pretty sure that includuing one villan in the set has been brought up before and the answer was no because Green Goblin is a different charector from Spiderman.
                Does this restriction apply to Marvel girl / Phoenix / Dark Phoenix, or First appearance Angel/ red and white Angel/ Archangel ?
                If the restriction was'nt there we could get Captain America and U.S.Agent or Ironman and War Machine . I am very happy that they are giving us yellow and red Daredevils
                because a lot of us were asking for them .
                Last edited by wise guy; Jan 24, '16, 7:36 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

If the license was different, we would get multiple character sets, but it's not, so we won't.
                  I like the three outfit sets. If the license was different, we wouldn't be getting the yellow Daredevil. We would most likely be getting one version of each character, to make more characters.

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

If the "Hero, Secret ID, and Villain, supporting character" was possible, that would be really great. Frankly, it'd be a HUGE gamechanger IMHO. A GREAT gamechanger for the same "more characters" reason you mentioned. Seems like a"too good to be possible" scenario---but, ya never know.

Altho this example:
                    Originally posted by ovenmitt
                    A 2nd Spidey set could have Mary Jane Watson instead of Peter again even though she would require female body.
                    DOES seem pushing it, as two genders suddenly makes things complicated because of a pricepoint inconsistency because of two bodies required to show off the pack's characters.

Then again----IF there was only ONE body included in a "both gender" selection---that would bring things back to normal again.
                    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• megowgsh
                      Customego HoF Curator
                      • Nov 19, 2003

Originally posted by huedell
                      If the "Hero, Secret ID, and Villain, supporting character" was possible, that would be really great. Frankly, it'd be a HUGE gamechanger IMHO. A GREAT gamechanger for the same "more characters" reason you mentioned. Seems like a"too good to be possible" scenario---but, ya never know.
                      ^^^That would be a game-changer!!!!
                      Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• TRDouble
                        Permanent Member
                        • Jul 10, 2012

Since this always comes up, here is a quick update from Ask DST #304, posted yesterday (very last question):

Drew T.
                        I am a Marvel and Mego fan and I appreciate that Diamond is making Mego Marvel 8″ figure sets in ANY format, but please tell me the license is being renegotiated with Disney/Marvel so the figures can be sold individually in the future for around $25-$30 each. There are too many marvelous Marvel characters to be made and the $80 1 figure with 3 costumes set format is restrictive. More Mego Marvel figures need to be made more frequently. This is the latest topic of debate on megomuseum.com EMCE forum. Mego Marvel fans would love Megos of all Spider-Man villians, Avengers, Fantastic 4, X-Men, etc! Hope 2016 brings even BIGGER Mego Marvel news! Happy New Year

DSTChuck: There is no way that can be done. It took years to crack the nut on a way to even do these. We are working on some other stuff in the same vein, but single figures at that price are not possible.

Comment

• pmwasson
                          Maker
                          • Sep 12, 2007

I personally wouldn't mind one marvel $80 Hot-Toys detailed high quality 8" Mego figure (like what Mezco is doing) and skip the whole retro vibe, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.
                          sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by pmwasson
                            I personally wouldn't mind one marvel $80 Hot-Toys detailed high quality 8" Mego figure (like what Mezco is doing) and skip the whole retro vibe, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.
                            People are going nuts for the Mezco figures.. myself included. I think Diamond kind of misjudged the audience for these high-end figures. If they had released "ZICA Buck Rogers" style figures at this price point, with lots of accessories and swappable hands and so forth, I think they would have been a big hit.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 26, 2009

I'm Drew T who asked the Ask DST question, but it was before Mezco announced its One:12 Marvel figures that are a game changer. I said Mezco is Modern Mego. I wonder how Diamond will respond now?

Comment

• Teemu
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by pmwasson
                                You are not in the minority.....we have been asking for highly detailed 8" Hot Toys like,Comic Mego's since Charlee Flatt came onto the scene with his ($$$$) customs,but it looks like Mezco is on it even though they are 6"

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎