Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond needs to re-examine retro Marvel license in 2016...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovenmitt
    Persistent Member
    • May 26, 2009

4 sets a year is not enough compared to FTC DC output.

At least 6 Marvel sets a year a set every other month.

Too many Mighty Marvel Megos to make!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

I say one set per month!! Start cranking them out!!!
      Four sets a year is fine, as long as they keep making them. If they keep going for five years, that's twenty sets, and sixty outfits!

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
        I say one set per month!! Start cranking them out!!!
        Four sets a year is fine, as long as they keep making them. If they keep going for five years, that's twenty sets, and sixty outfits!
        This is pretty much how I feel. Take as long as you want, as that's an opportunity to prep and research to ensure the line's longevity!

Thought I'd chime in since Zach and/or Doc et al may be reading this thread specifically.

Overall, I feel about EMCE's retro WGSH-oriented line the same way I feel about FTC's: I've been so jaded over the years in the context of Mego style retro superhero figures, culminating with Mattel's truncated DC line, that a trepidation has caused me to be (admittedly) overly critical of both EMCE and FTC's WGSH-oriented lines.

My belief since FTC's line started (with EMCE's soon following suit) was that enough missteps in the lines' marketing, customer service, quality control and wave release planning, and that these very crucial lines (that included replicas at their core, with potential for infinite line extension characters) in the context of WGSH homages and "all would be lost" as far as WGSH succeeding into the future.

I now realize that FTC has barreled into a very comfortable place for me. And EMCE is not far behind. As far as the future of EMCE's WGSH-oriented line, all that I'd want is hitting 15 or so more of Marvel's biggest names---with the remaining eight (8) WGSH (that EMCE hasn't touched upon---no Conan included) being 8 of those "15 or so".

Yes, I am one of those guys that is essentially only interested in the WGSH replicas as well as any subtle Mego-esque improvements to the Bronze Age WGSH characters whether they be replicas, or Bronze Age line extensions (or any number of Bronze Age variants of the same heroes including secret identities). On that note, I can appreciate the "non-Bronze Age" choice of Deadpool (akin to FTC's Harley), a choice made so as to maximize profit without straying too far from the Bronze Age character designs overall.

In a nutshell: My personal opinion is (as opposed to potentially crashing and burning this "so far, so good" venture w/risky, hasty choices), please do everything you can to maximize releases in this line, even if that includes moving slowly

Thanks!
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Boywonder0
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by huedell
          "Thought I'd chime in since Zach and/or Doc et al may be reading this thread specifically."
          If DST Zach and/or Doctor Mego read(s) this thread, I want to thank them very much for all the Marvel re-Mego sets so far and for the already announced ones. It would have been sad to have all the FTC pletora of DC heroes and no Marvel heroes at all. Plus I own all sets so far, and packaging issues aside, these are very well made.

Thank you so much and keep them coming!
          Last edited by Boywonder0; Jan 17, '16, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• ovenmitt
            Persistent Member
            • May 26, 2009

I LOVE the new Daredevil set but bbts has it listed for JUNE- 5 MONTHS after January Deadpool set! These sets are being released too far apart and interest in the few sets will be lost compared to the high amount of DC waves FTC is churning out! Will Punisher not be until Fall and Spider-Man 2099 Christmas?

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

I don't know about the lack of interest. I think the volume that FTC is releasing will keep interest up for these and other Remegos; just look at the return of Star Trek. That's especially true for those that see the DC figures and long for Marvel. There might be some disappointment and frustration with the trickle of Marvel figures, but I think interest will be fine as long as interest remains in the genre itself. And the quality is good.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                Persistent Member
                • May 26, 2009

EE has the Daredevil set listed for AUGUST! There won't be time left in 2016 for Punisher and Spider-Man 2099! With such few releases a year DST might as well not be making these at all.

The Marvel license must be renegotiated with Disney!

Comment

• DSTZach
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Mar 1, 2012

As I've said before, the license is not changing. It is what it is. Maybe in the distant future, but probably not. But it only affects price, I do not think it affects releases.

Sure, we'd all like more of things we like, but it seems like many people here are saying they'd rather have SOME Marvel Megos than no Marvel Megos, which I agree with. And we are making them as quickly as we can while making sure we are executing them as intended. One figure with three outfits is basically an assortment of Megos, and every figure is different. One plastic toy injects the same as another, but a vest is not sewn the same way as a blazer. So each new set is a new process to be learned, with trial and error before it's ready for production.

And a small, dedicated EMCE team is working on every figure design, so we can't work on two figures at once, really. But hopefully as we build up parts and costumes, we can prototype and manufacture them faster.

Plus, it's a lot of money for people to shell out too often. I know I couldn't swing $80 a month, or even every other month. Seems like a set every three months or so is just right. (Thor December, Deadpool March at the latest, Daredevil hopefully summer).

Comment

• ovenmitt
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 26, 2009

I appreciate that DST and EMCE are making any Mego Marvel figures. I just hate the high price $80 Marvel and Hasbro imposed on your sets. $80 would be worth 3 complete figures. $25 for DST Marvel Select 7" figures with dioramas and accessories is a good deal, I have 36 of those figures (Dr Strange is perfect a work of art and recently found Silver Surfer who is beautiful and Disney Store Savage Hulk incredibly Kirby-ish!) I have all of DST EMCE Mego Star Trek and Universal Monsters figures and they were BARGAINS at $18 each! Of course we wish Mego Marvels could be sold individually too at that price. I love the Mego Daredevil set and hope it arrives as soon as possible. Looking forward to Punisher, too. Like you said Zach I hope as the sets progress more can be released a year. And Disney will see the marvelous job you are doing and realize the potential of Mego Marvel and restructure the license. Hope to see 2017's figures by SDCC like you did at 2015 SDCC for 2016 4 figures. Fingers crossed for a female and villian. Good luck with all of DST Mego endeavors.
                    Last edited by ovenmitt; Jan 21, '16, 3:51 PM.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by DSTZach
                      Sure, we'd all like more of things we like, but it seems like many people here are saying they'd rather have SOME Marvel Megos than no Marvel Megos, which I agree with. And we are making them as quickly as we can while making sure we are executing them as intended. One figure with three outfits is basically an assortment of Megos, and every figure is different. One plastic toy injects the same as another, but a vest is not sewn the same way as a blazer. So each new set is a new process to be learned, with trial and error before it's ready for production.

And a small, dedicated EMCE team is working on every figure design, so we can't work on two figures at once, really. But hopefully as we build up parts and costumes, we can prototype and manufacture them faster.

Plus, it's a lot of money for people to shell out too often. I know I couldn't swing $80 a month, or even every other month. Seems like a set every three months or so is just right. (Thor December, Deadpool March at the latest, Daredevil hopefully summer).
                      Well said! I like what I'm hearing and totally agree...keep Em' coming and "make mine Marvel!"
                      sigpic

Comment

• wise guy
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 29, 2014

I have to agree that SOME Marvel Megos are better that none so I'll take them when ever. Also Diamond hit a home run with the Daredevil set , so now am getting excited
                        because these are getting better with each set.

Comment

• william shatners toupee
                          Warriors Gate Productions
                          • Feb 18, 2010

[QUOTE/]

Out of curiosity, why do you (or any Mego collector) want us to make all of the original Megos? Do you not have the originals, or do you just want the updated/modern versions of them, OR do you just want to buy your favorites in a different format? Honestly curious. I would THINK people posting here would buy the sets for any reason BUT the original figure, since I assume you have all of the original Megos you need.[/QUOTE]

I would want remakes of characters Mego made to have nicer updated versions of those characters in their classic looks, like falcon or the Thing, who spring first to mind.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

I really like the Daredevil set. It seems like a major improvement over previous releases. I'll be picking it up.

Comment

• smonte00
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 19, 2005

I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I had some Megos as a kid, but they were beat up and played with, so they were eventually thrown out. I stared collecting them as an adult about 15 years ago. All of my original Megos have been purchased loose, mint or near mint. I had to stop spending money on these when my son was born, but over the last few years, I've been buying the remegos for him. He's 10 now. I like that he's getting new in the package versions of the Megos I played with as a kid and that he gets to rip open the packaging on brand new Megos on Christmas morning like I did. We can't afford to do that with $150-$200 MIB original Megos. So there is a market for remakes of the originals and hopefully, once we're all old and musty, or dead, our kids will have remegos to share with their kids. Like any hobby, it needs some new blood every now and them to keep going.

Oops, I hope I don't fall off this soapbox!

Whew! I'm okay.

-Steve

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by william shatners toupee
                                [QUOTE/]

Out of curiosity, why do you (or any Mego collector) want us to make all of the original Megos? Do you not have the originals, or do you just want the updated/modern versions of them, OR do you just want to buy your favorites in a different format? Honestly curious. I would THINK people posting here would buy the sets for any reason BUT the original figure, since I assume you have all of the original Megos you need.
                                I think the secret identity figures (Peter Parker, Donald Blake, Steve Rogers, etc.) plays a big role in the appeal. Because you can apply him to either the retro figure or the modern one. I still think my Werewolf by Night idea would work within your license - Werewolf figure, Jack Russell Head and outfit, and then a Moon Knight head and outfit. If the license says you can only have one figure then game that and give us a hero, secret identity, and villain. Drop the whole hero duplication and just offer a adventure set that offers something new across the board. That would be very exciting. I mentioned this to Paul and it got his attention.
                                Last edited by MIB41; Jan 24, '16, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎