Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond needs to re-examine retro Marvel license in 2016...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warlock664
    Persistent Member
    • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by ovenmitt
    I'm Drew T who asked the Ask DST question, but it was before Mezco announced its One:12 Marvel figures that are a game changer. I said Mezco is Modern Mego. I wonder how Diamond will respond now?
    Given the limitations imposed on them by the license holder, how would you expect them to respond ?

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

And look at the price point of the One:12 figures... List Price of $85.99, selling for $75.00 at most online stores.

I don't know if Marvel put the DST limitations on Mezco since this is the price of non-Marvel figures, but it nicely fits into that $80 price range that DST has to abide by with the Marvel Retros.

Comment

• Teemu
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by TRDouble
        And look at the price point of the One:12 figures... List Price of $85.99, selling for $75.00 at most online stores.

I don't know if Marvel put the DST limitations on Mezco since this is the price of non-Marvel figures, but it nicely fits into that $80 price range that DST has to abide by with the Marvel Retros.
        price point is higher because of the kind of figure you get.An almost Hot Toys,Highly detailed,super poseable figure with tons of accessories,extra head and hands.....EMCE stuff can't compare to what Mezco is doing and giving us.

Comment

• BATMAN89
          Mego obsessed!!!
          • Jul 20, 2010

Lovin' these sets! They do have some shortcomings, but so does FTC..
          Although I am buying them all for $65.00 or less with shipping.
          My Cap set was $35.00 plus like $5 or $6 shipping.
          My hands down favorite has been Wolverine! I bought 2 sets.
          I'm hoping Deadpool and Daredevil will both be done as well.
          Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
          My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• haggis
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 17, 2008

I am glad that DST/EMCE is producing these. It is amazing to have, possibly, more MEGO-style figures being churned out today than in the golden age of MEGO due to these guys and FTC. I only have the Cap set right now but I will get Deadpool, Daredevil, Wolverine and maybe Thor eventually. Keep up the good work!
            No exclusives and no chase figures, please - I'm Canadian!

Comment

• nubee
              Career Member
              • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by Teemu
              You are not in the minority.....we have been asking for highly detailed 8" Hot Toys like,Comic Mego's since Charlee Flatt came onto the scene with his ($$$$) customs,but it looks like Mezco is on it even though they are 6"

I second this. I, too, want the same. I know this is comparing apples and oranges given the size differences, but given my limited funds and space, I find it hard not to purchase one of the Mezco Daredevil (most likely $75.00) in place of the retro Daredevil ($69.00). I have the Diamond Mezco and Dark Blue Mezco Dark Knight and it is everything as good an mentioned. I pre-order Shazam the first day it became available in BBTS. Can't wait for Frankenstein. Hope they make an Alan Scott Green Lantern

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Would I like to see individually released 8" HT style figures...of course. But as the Mezco figures are 6" scale...that TOTALLY ruins it for me...they missed the mark IMO. So I'll be happy with my EMCE Retro-Mego style figures thank you. The new DareDevil figure shows dramatic improvement in sculpting...LOVE the head sculpt! And Deadpool looks incredible as well. Keep Em' coming EMCE!!
                sigpic

Comment

• william shatners toupee
                  Warriors Gate Productions
                  • Feb 18, 2010

Originally posted by pmwasson
                  I personally wouldn't mind one marvel $80 Hot-Toys detailed high quality 8" Mego figure (like what Mezco is doing) and skip the whole retro vibe, but I'm sure I'm in the minority.
                  I'm with you on that too.

Comment

• daz71
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2014

what is the reason that dst/emce can't release single figures.i was in forbidden planet the other day and there are lots of different sized single marvel character action figures from 4"-12".

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by daz71
                      what is the reason that dst/emce can't release single figures.i was in forbidden planet the other day and there are lots of different sized single marvel character action figures from 4"-12".
                      They can, and do, as long as they cost $80.
                      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• daz71
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2014

that seems a bit unfair ,marvel allow different companies to make figures in any size at any price but dst/emce have to sell them for $80.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                          They can, and do, as long as they cost $80.
                          Best put by anyone, ever!

Furthermore these sets are worth their price tag as they are loaded with removable parts & accessories. There are really three figures in the set and they have the Mego enchantment all over them...
                          I've said it before and I'll say it again Mezco One:12 & NECA 8" are great figures but they are not Megos. Non removable clothing, heads, boots, gloves, etc attest for that.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by daz71
                            that seems a bit unfair ,marvel allow different companies to make figures in any size at any price but dst/emce have to sell them for $80.
                            It isn't Marvel. Hasbro is the master license holder so the majority of figures you are seeing come from them. Diamond has a license from Hasbro to produce an $80 collectors figure, not unlike what Sideshow toys would get. It's not ideal for the retro cloth format, but it seems to be the only option available.

At least, that's what I have gathered from the various posts on this subject.
                            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Teemu
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by Boywonder0
                              Best put by anyone, ever!

Furthermore these sets are worth their price tag as they are loaded with removable parts & accessories. There are really three figures in the set and they have the Mego enchantment all over them...
                              I've said it before and I'll say it again Mezco One:12 & NECA 8" are great figures but they are not Megos. Non removable clothing, heads, boots, gloves, etc attest for that.
                              Neca's have removable clothes...only the shoes don't remove....their heads,hands etc are removable

Mezco's have removable swappable heads and TONS of accessories.High end looking figures don't need removable clothes,which is why the Mego look will always look a bit cheesey in comparison.

That said,you're right! they are not Mego's, but Mezco's are a better looking toy

Comment

• powersthatbe
                                Persistent Member
                                • Sep 27, 2010

oh the appeal of megos for me is the "cheesy" factor.i don't want "high toy art" in an eight inch figure like hot toys or neca,i want as close as possible renditions of my favorite toys as a kid.A Neca 8 inch figure could be "balls to the wall" like a hot toys figure,but it wouldn't give me that "mego" feel.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎