Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diamond needs to re-examine retro Marvel license in 2016...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by hedrap
    Let me quote you from earlier "Did you read what I wrote"?

You pigeonhole every debate into some rich man/poor man dynamic, but that's your bag, not mine. You've undoubtedly spent way more on high-priced toy items than I ever have, because you see a value I don't, yet you always argue it's the opposite.
    It's true I've spent a lot on high priced stuff. I've even overpaid for things I'm sure, but I don't like doing it. I grudgingly do it when there's no other choice but I'd much rather buy a $25 repro RC Bats that I can play with than shell out big bucks for mint originals I'm scared of breaking.

Oh, and the two extra Vote for Batman figures were for gifts, okay?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

As much as I'd love to see EMCE do more with the Marvel license, legal contracts are legal contracts. Hasbro has the action figure license for Marvel. Their contract is apparently more ironclad than the one Mattel has with DC. It's why FTC can't give us a rolling Batmobile: Mattel has the lock on toy Batmobiles made for action figures.

Also, Hasbro probably has no desire to get into the 8" format. They are selling Star Wars and Marvel toys like hotcakes. Why should they care for such a small niche market?

I got the Captain America set for Christmas, and I love it. Great work on the new parts, and I popped them right on the Castaway/Zica bodies and the look great! I displayed the old Cap in his box, among my vintage Marvel Megos.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Teemu
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 15, 2010

I want to see Marvel Comics 8" "Hot Toys" type Mego figures

Comment

• DSTZach
          Museum Super Collector
          • Mar 1, 2012

Originally posted by jayraytee
          Your assumptions mean you don't understand your market. Getting original like-new Megos is what all of this customer base wants, some of us have had multiples of each original figure with variations, etc. In varying conditions. some of us can't afford original minty in box Megos, so buying a EMCE/DST Iron Man is on the want list.
          The Marvel heavy hitters are Spiderman, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, etc. Yes they are the ones Mego originally made, for good reason, people will typically want them over the other characters just as Superman, Batman, Flash, Green Lanturn, Wonder Woman are the heavy hitters for DC. Same reason they are the core group of the Avengers and Justice League. I am not an FTC fan but they were smart, they know the market, in that they remade the original DC Megos and then expanded the line. Most of us are old enough to have had original Megos as a kid and thats the reason this market survives, notalgia. Part of the excitement is rebuying/living what we had as a kid. We want to relive that and not only relive it, also get the characters Mego never made... both. It's also the reason behind most of the non-interest in the newer characters. This fan base does want new characters but really only to go along with the heavy hitters. I wouldn't want a line of figures that produces the minor characters before the heavy hitters or instead of the heavy hitters. Elektro and Lizard after Spiderman, etc. Outlier X-Men mean nothing to me if I don't first have the X-Men core group. I will probably skip most of the newer charactes (Daredevil, Punisher) and wait to maybe buy them after I have Iron Man, etc. Collectors like to have a full set of a line, in this way we wouldn't want you to just produce the characters Mego never made because there is the original Mego set of characters and then there's the EMCE/DST line or set, generally they are not mixed. Just like FTC's DC line... it is it's own set, reproduce the core group of figures for that set and then expand it.
          So long story short, you want reproduction originals in reproduction-STYLE boxes because the figures you have are not good enough quality, or because you want to buy them again. Got it.

I understand the market for the sets we're making, since it obviously encompasses people who do not have the original figures, and in fact fit into all of those categories I mentioned. I was specifically addressing Mego collectors HERE -- I assumed that anyone with X number of posts on this forum was pretty serious about it, and would have the originals, box or no box. Not a judgment, but yes, an assumption about this forum. I mean, I knew not EVERYONE would have them, but I wasn't expecting such lobbying for classic characters over new characters here, specifically. I should have included "I just need a good box, even if it's not 100% accurate" as an option.

Not sure the votes against newer (meaning more modern) characters is as overwhelming as you think, but I certainly expected people on a Mego forum to skew towards classic characters. Not buying stand-alone characters like Daredevil,, Punisher or Deadpool because we haven't made all of the X-Men, or the original Avengers, is certainly a personal choice, but not one I can understand, since none of them are really a part of those teams. ...Although I actually think Deadpool is an Avenger now. But I think we've gotten a bead on how the classic figures did, and now we're getting a bead on how well the new characters do. I'm sure we'll compare and contrast.

No Hulk or Iron Man in 2016, that I am aware of, but we'll see. Daredevil solicits this month!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

I want to see some Daredevil pictures!!

Comment

• SpaceAgent
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 21, 2009

While I would like to see the characters that Mego made redone (as EMCE has been doing), I also am in favor of those characters that were never done by Mego -- Daredevil and Wolverine are a terrific start.

Comment

• MeWantMegos
                Museum Super Collector
                • Apr 4, 2010

Originally posted by DSTZach

Out of curiosity, why do you (or any Mego collector) want us to make all of the original Megos? Do you not have the originals, or do you just want the updated/modern versions of them, OR do you just want to buy your favorites in a different format? Honestly curious. I would THINK people posting here would buy the sets for any reason BUT the original figure, since I assume you have all of the original Megos you need.
                I think that's a great question. For me, I don't like collecting loose figures on the secondary market. They are often expensive and in bad condition. (i do have some original Mego figures but they are far from mint.)

So, I prefer to purchase an original figure from your company that looks exactly like my original Mego. I also like the fun of opening up these reproductions (or near productions) with my kids.

Comment

• pmwasson
                  Maker
                  • Sep 12, 2007

Overall, I like what Diamond/EMCE is doing under the constraints they have. I just wish they would come out faster!
                  sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by pmwasson
                    Overall, I like what Diamond/EMCE is doing under the constraints they have. I just wish they would come out faster!
                    I agree!

Comment

• powersthatbe
                      Persistent Member
                      • Sep 27, 2010

I'm just happy they are continuing beyond spiderman and cap,I was concerned they wouldn't be a hit.

Comment

• warlock664
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 15, 2009

The frequency is ok with me, but personally I hate seeing characters like Deadpool that I have no interest in (though I do concede his popularity may actually help increase sales). I also am disappointed that we're apparently getting another Spider-Man set before Iron Man, Green Goblin, Falcon, Dr Doom, etc. Do many Mego collectors really want a Spider-Man 2099 figure?

Comment

• ovenmitt
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 26, 2009

I'd rather have Spider-WOMAN than another Spider-Man. I know of Spider-Man 2099 but not his origin like Deadpool both 90s characters.

I think it was DSTZach that said Black Costume Spidey costume might be included in 2099 set. I could go for Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider clone costume, too.

Comment

• wise guy
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 29, 2014

Since the first Spiderman is still available at my Local comic shop , BBTS, Amazon , Amok time , Ebay etc. a second Spiderman is not on my shopping list,
                            and a waste of a pic since it's taking more than a year to get 4 figures. I also wonder why diamond would ask us why we wan't classic figures when the first 2 releases
                            were Spiderman, and Captain America (classic figures ) just like the first 2 mego marvels. They could have wen't with a all new line up like Deadpool but chose to include
                            a classic mego version( in box ) of original mego figures in first wave. I only buy the classic charectors and am really looking forward to Daredevil
                            Last edited by wise guy; Jan 13, '16, 9:28 PM.

Comment

• nubee
                              Career Member
                              • Feb 15, 2010

I really want the this line to continue. Unfortunately, I have yet to buy a single figure. The quality REALLY needs to improve first. Thor was a real "bummer" for me.....I cancel my preorder when I read of the issues with modern Thor. I don't know how this line will continue if there are always issues with each release. I'm sorry but Thor was one of my top wanted. I'm really disappointed.

Comment

• Boywonder0
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by nubee
                                I really want the this line to continue. Unfortunately, I have yet to buy a single figure. The quality REALLY needs to improve first. Thor was a real "bummer" for me.....I cancel my preorder when I read of the issues with modern Thor. I don't know how this line will continue if there are always issues with each release. I'm sorry but Thor was one of my top wanted. I'm really disappointed.
                                So you haven't owned any of these sets but you assure that these are poor quality?

The sets do have their issues (mostly packaging related) but poor quality is not one of them. Figure head sculpts, costumes and accessories are great quality.

Give yourself a chance and you'll see...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎