Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Iron Mego
    Wake Up Heavy
    • Jan 31, 2010

Sorry, missed some posts. Vinyl = good. Painted vinyl = not my cup of tea. I'll have to pass on these, but I'm glad that some better pics have shown up here.
    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MIB41
      I really think NECA caters to a different niche group besides Mego-heads. If you look at their process, the majority of the figure is still a sculpted and painted specimen, not unlike the six inch variety (heads, arms, hands, legs, and foot wear). It's very easy to take those clothes off and envision a sculpted outfit that would look like their six inch cousins. I think Neca really keeps most of the same principles from the six inch lines intact, but adds clothes and the slightly bigger scale to capture some of the Mego collectors as well. I think it's meant to broaden they're market, but not fall too far from the core concept that keeps their primary business coming back. It's not really a figure intended to be "dressed up" or customized in different clothes for the most part.

Yeah, I got no beef with NECA but I like the niche they're in. I think they could put out a quality 8" Superhero but I would miss the jammies.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
        Yeah, I got no beef with NECA but I like the niche they're in. I think they could put out a quality 8" Superhero but I would miss the jammies.
        Oh me too! I think it's a brilliant marriage of ideas. It works!

Comment

• jayraytee
          Career Member
          • May 27, 2011

Originally posted by Iron Mego
          Sorry, missed some posts. Vinyl = good. Painted vinyl = not my cup of tea. I'll have to pass on these, but I'm glad that some better pics have shown up here.
          FTC's Batman is a flesh colored vinyl head with a painted mask.
          My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Wasimhosen
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 23, 2011

I cancelled my EE preorder after reading this thread. I can't afford $80.00 on something so poorly done. I may reorder if some positive reviews come in.

Comment

• Iron Mego
              Wake Up Heavy
              • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by jayraytee
              FTC's Batman is a flesh colored vinyl head with a painted mask.
              You referring to Batman 66 or the reissues? I don't have any 66 figures, and one of the reasons I didn't buy Batman was for exactly this reason. I realize that there are painted parts on all the heads, old and new, but I don't see the need to use paint instead of dyed vinyl for overall head, and certainly not for Spidey's head. My own personal choice. It affects what I buy. And I did not bring up what FTC has or hasn't done with their figures. Mine is not a comparison of the two companies.
              Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                Permanent Member
                • Mar 7, 2011

I just checked my tracking and it said that my Spidys are in the Bronx and out for delivery on the USPS Truck Leaving work now they should be on my doorstep when I arrive home. If I am the first I will try to get Pics up ASAP.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                  I just checked my tracking and it said that my Spidys are in the Bronx and out for delivery on the USPS Truck Leaving work now they should be on my doorstep when I arrive home. If I am the first I will try to get Pics up ASAP.
                  I'm really anxious to see what you get.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• BATMAN89
                    Mego obsessed!!!
                    • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                    I will try to get Pics up ASAP.
                    Yes! Please do!
                    Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                    My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by BATMAN89
                      Speaking of NECA...
                      How are they putting out awesome figures without the typical complaints that we hear about FTC, BBP, etc.?
                      first of all, they skipped the rubber band "retro" style.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Couldn't have said it better Tom. I think NECA is quietly pushing 1/9th scale cloth outfits onto a new audience who live in a world of Hot Toys and think nothing of dropping $60-100 play Arts Kai figures. At the end of the day it's a positive for us Mego fans because it pushes the agenda of our scale and format (if not the nostalgia driven aesthetic). Just gives us more options at the end of the day.

Originally posted by MIB41
                        I really think NECA caters to a different niche group besides Mego-heads. If you look at their process, the majority of the figure is still a sculpted and painted specimen, not unlike the six inch variety (heads, arms, hands, legs, and foot wear). It's very easy to take those clothes off and envision a sculpted outfit that would look like their six inch cousins. I think Neca really keeps most of the same principles from the six inch lines intact, but adds clothes and the slightly bigger scale to capture some of the Mego collectors as well. I think it's meant to broaden they're market, but not fall too far from the core concept that keeps their primary business coming back. It's not really a figure intended to be "dressed up" or customized in different clothes for the most part.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• David Lee
                          The Fix-it-up Chappie
                          • Jun 10, 2002

Originally posted by DSTZach
                          Not sure if you were talking to me, David, but I like the set a lot. .
                          Zach, I was just commiserating about the fact that what you send to China isn't always what you get back.. Nothing more. I was just trying to be encouraging in light of the overwhelming disappointment being expressed here on the forum. I truly hope the best for you guys. Good Luck!

Dave
                          Last edited by David Lee; Jan 21, '15, 5:39 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                            Radioactive!
                            • Feb 13, 2010

I went to my LCS today and was able to see these sets first-hand. In person, the set does not look as bad as the pics last night would suggest, so I decided to go ahead and purchase one. Here are a few pics:

spider1.JPG

As has been pointed out, each arm, leg, and neck of the clothing has in effect been stapled to the packaging. I removed these as carefully as possible: the Spidey costume looks fine, but the Parker clothing has very distinct holes from the plastic staples.

spider2.JPG

The repro Spidey box is impossible to remove without damage, and the accessories are impossible to remove without completely trashing the box. As I'm going to display these loose this is not an issue for me.

spider3.JPG

The head is painted vinyl and appropriately "squishy". I generally don't like faces to be flesh colored paint: I passed on Capts. Pike and Picard for this reason. To my eye, this looks better than those two in execution. The head is a bit on the small side---it is roughly the same size as the secret ID Bruce Wayne head.

spider4.JPG

The Spidey head is also a bit on the small side, and the painted webs have either rubbed off a bit or were never completely filled in.

spider5.JPG

Comment

• pmwasson
                              Maker
                              • Sep 12, 2007

Thanks for the pictures. Your modern suit looks good, not faded like the Facebook pictures show. I may swing by my LCS on the way home tonight and see if they have any in.
                              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                                Radioactive!
                                • Feb 13, 2010

spider6.JPG

The costume feels somewhat fragile: the button popped off immediately upon being buttoned. The figure is an older Doc Mego, BTW.

spider7.JPG

The Spidey replica is great: great fit, sturdy body. I put the fists on the body just for a bit of a different look.

spider9.JPG

Depending on the angle, the Parker head can look small or look fine.

spider10.JPG

This is how I'm going to display them; in my opinion this is my best photo of them.

The web-shooters fit perfectly over or under his sleeves; The boots are nice and snug as well. The belt was a bit difficult to get on but works fine. The crotch is very loose on his costume. The webbing under his arms looks nice.

All in all, this product is...fairly good. Whether 'fairly good' is worth the sticker price is a judgment call. I decided to go ahead and make the purchase in order to support the line: I really want to see this line succeed and I hope the, well, bugs can be worked out before Captain America ships.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎