Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megocrazy
    Museum Trouble Maker
    • Feb 18, 2007

Its not Marvel thats making the restriction. Its the license holder.
    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

^I thought Marvel was the license holder? Anyway...it doesn't really matter. Despite my criticism, I preordered two sets because I want these to succeed, and I hope they make lots of different ones. I also hope I'm wrong in feeling worried.
      Fact is though...check out the original article over at Marvel.com. Not a single comment since the announcement was made two months ago. Seems people are just indifferent and THAT worries me...

Comment

• FamousCoversFan
        • May 18, 2014

I really hope this line succeeds, so I am going to support it all the way.

Of course, I would have preferred to get 4 figures assortments every few months like FTC is doing with the DC license... but if this is the only option we can get these at this moment, it will have to do.

Who is the license holder anyway? Hasbro?

Comment

• melkorjunior
          Museum Super Collector
          • Apr 20, 2014

If I'm remembering correctly, didn't Doc say that the only license restriction was one character, at an $80 price point? Adding in the secret identities and alternate versions was Doc's clever way of trying to add extra value to the set. It's trying to figure out how to add value in a way that makes sense for a given character that's the real sticking point for this line. A secret identity figure works for Spider-Man, but not for most other characters.

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by melkorjunior
            If I'm remembering correctly, didn't Doc say that the only license restriction was one character, at an $80 price point? Adding in the secret identities and alternate versions was Doc's clever way of trying to add extra value to the set. It's trying to figure out how to add value in a way that makes sense for a given character that's the real sticking point for this line. A secret identity figure works for Spider-Man, but not for most other characters.
            That's an excellent point! Doc found a clever way around the one character license restriction at an $80 price tag.
            sigpic

Comment

• RobTMego
              Career Member
              • Mar 15, 2013

Originally posted by enyawd72
              ^I thought Marvel was the license holder? Anyway...it doesn't really matter. Despite my criticism, I preordered two sets because I want these to succeed, and I hope they make lots of different ones. I also hope I'm wrong in feeling worried.
              Fact is though...check out the original article over at Marvel.com. Not a single comment since the announcement was made two months ago. Seems people are just indifferent and THAT worries me...
              You made a good point I went and made a login at marvel and made a comment!!

Comment

• DSTZach
                Museum Super Collector
                • Mar 1, 2012

I don't know how many people really comment on stories at Marvel.com. The test would be to find the original post on their Facebook page and see who commented on that, and I don't remember how well it did there, to be honest.

Marvel is the licensor, we (DST) are the licensee, and Hasbro is the master toy licensee. Unless Hasbro decided to make them, whoever got the license for 8-inch dolls today was going to face the same restriction.

And we and EMCE have a lot of sets in the works. While a lot of people continue to compare what we're offering to Figures, retailers have responded positively, and we've actually ADDED to what we originally said we were going to do. We're just putting the finishing touches on the next couple of sets.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 26, 2009

DSTZach,

Thanks, for info! Glad to hear a LOT of sets are in the works! Are you increasing the # of sets per year? Will ALL ORIGINAL Mego Marvel figures be made? Can you at least hint if a NEW FEMALE is in the works? Spider-Woman and Jean Grey are popular around here!

Comment

• pmwasson
                    Maker
                    • Sep 12, 2007

Thanks for the update. Hope we learn more at SDCC.
                    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by DSTZach
                      I don't know how many people really comment on stories at Marvel.com. The test would be to find the original post on their Facebook page and see who commented on that, and I don't remember how well it did there, to be honest.

Marvel is the licensor, we (DST) are the licensee, and Hasbro is the master toy licensee. Unless Hasbro decided to make them, whoever got the license for 8-inch dolls today was going to face the same restriction.

And we and EMCE have a lot of sets in the works. While a lot of people continue to compare what we're offering to Figures, retailers have responded positively, and we've actually ADDED to what we originally said we were going to do. We're just putting the finishing touches on the next couple of sets.
                      I think it would be very helpful if you stayed around to post answers over time. This is usually what puts Doc in a tough spot, so your distance would help avoid any confusion.

Comment

• DSTZach
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Mar 1, 2012

Not sure every character Mego made is going to get remade, due to modern licensing restrictions and the number of alternate looks, etc., but hopefully the new characters will make up for it. Luckily, those characters are still out there for those who want them.

I do not recall a woman being on the list of new characters, but I need to re-familiarize myself with the new line plan.

I believe we may see more than four sets a year, but don't quote me on that.

Hopefully when they come out, more people understand the necessity of it all and are happy with what we put out when we put it out. Doc is obviously a master craftsman, and he's the one who found the way over this hurdle. His passion is what drives this project, I don't think we would have attempted hit without him.

Comment

• ovenmitt
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 26, 2009

Thanks, DSTZach! Any chance the ENTIRE Mego Fantastic Four will be remade? New Fantastic 4 Movie in 2015!

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by DSTZach

That's great news! I am very, very glad to have my fears put to rest. Can't wait to see what's coming!

Comment

• DSTZach
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Mar 1, 2012

Originally posted by ovenmitt
                              Thanks, DSTZach! Any chance the ENTIRE Mego Fantastic Four will be remade? New Fantastic 4 Movie in 2015!
                              I don't recall seeing them on the 2015 schedule, but perhaps down the road!

Comment

• DSTZach
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Mar 1, 2012

Originally posted by hedrap
                                I think it would be very helpful if you stayed around to post answers over time. This is usually what puts Doc in a tough spot, so your distance would help avoid any confusion.
                                I know Doc doesn't want to say too much, so as long as people are okay with me occasionally being wrong, I'm happy to say more than I should and let Doc correct me later. I apologize for not being around more often, I will try to stop in regularly.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎