Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jase
    Museum Patron
    • Sep 22, 2021

Are there any plans to release the Star Trek TOS crew again in the updated bodies and with uniforms that match this time?

Comment

• hizzy
      Museum Super Collector
      • Apr 1, 2023

The availability of figures online is a bit spotty, too. USA shipping is not cheap and neither is the exchange. Some figures from this wave are not easily had in Canada. I snapped up a Dr Fate on Amazon and they're unavailable now. Two-Face isn't readily available, either. Firestorm came up for a week and is gone now, too. It's weird because most of the big lots figures could be had here almost for free except for Joker. I just got a big lots Robin from Amazon for 15 Canadian dollars and free shipping, but no Two-Face, Shazam, or Green Arrow.

Comment

• Count_Popula
        Museum Super Collector
        • Aug 28, 2018

Deciding to produce a figure based on pre-orders seems like a mistake. I'm not a pre-order guy. I wait till the figures are on Amazon or ebay. And I'd definitely buy any new TOS figures. There must be a lot of other buyers like me. Trelane should definitely be made. Fans have been asking for him, Mudd, Ruk, and more for years.

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Count_Popula
          Deciding to produce a figure based on pre-orders seems like a mistake. I'm not a pre-order guy. I wait till the figures are on Amazon or ebay. And I'd definitely buy any new TOS figures. There must be a lot of other buyers like me. Trelane should definitely be made. Fans have been asking for him, Mudd, Ruk, and more for years.
          Preorders are how the entire modern collectibles and comic industry operates and has been for some time. Especially since most items ordered are non-returnable, have slim margins, and even a small percentage of unsold stock can make carrying the product unprofitable for the retailer, who carries the entire burden of risk on quantities ordered. For example, Brian Hibbs, who runs a couple of very successful comic shops in the San Francisco Bay area and writes a column about comics retailing called Tilting at Windmills has stated repeatedly that a comic shop has to sell 4 out of every 5 copies of a comic it orders just to break even, and all the profit comes form that last copy of the 5 bought. If you sell less than 4, you lose money carrying ordering those comics.

Many comic shops only order enough copies to fill preorders plus what they think they can sell off the shelf in the first week or two after release. They can't afford to have operating capital tied up in unsold inventory. Same is true of a lot of manufacturers and retailers of collectibles. Big brick and mortar joints have more flexibility, but smaller single owner shops and smaller more cottage industry producers (which modern Mego mist likely falls under) have to operate that way. It does limit growth potential, but it also minimizes the chances of a crippling miss on products that could possibly sink the company as a whole if it doesn't sell well enough.

It sucks, but it is the market reality of the current comic and collectibles market. There's not a lot of "big money" investing and financing things that make misses survivable, there's not a lot of mass market retailers out there ordering in quantities that flip economy of scale into a favorable position that makes risk management easier, And preorders let producers and retailers know how to set their expectations to avoid those big misses. This isn't the 70s 80s or even 90s where there was a huge outlet for products to be sold and varied options for producers to sell to. It pretty much is that ever item produced has to reach an end customer for producers and retailers to survive. And while preordering sucks, it's the best available option to survive in the current market.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by Count_Popula
            Pre-ordering sucks when they show prototypes and the end product looks nothing like it. The new Andorian prototype looked awesome and the released figures looks nothing like it. The head sculpt, figure color, and outfit are all different from the released figure. The Two-face outfit looks nothing like the prototype. Things like this make me not pre-order very much. I did pre-order the Andorian and Talosian and no other Mego figures. If Mego sells with doing pre-orders, then make the figures look like what people ordered. Not a good way to do business.

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Yes, It’s disappointing when you see a prototype and get excited about it, pre-order it with anticipation and then you see the end product and it’s not what you were hoping for. I pre-ordered the Andorian Ambassador because I liked the prototype, but now I know it’s not what I was expecting especially the facial color.

Andorians had light blue skin as seen on TOS, and that was shown with the prototype, that’s what caught my eye the most, now it’s going to be a bit disappointing knowing the skin color will be much darker, that’s my major beef with this and not so much the clothes.

The prototype also showed purple hands, I did think that was odd but still cool looking at the same time, the end product did correct that with the blue hands.

Comment

• hizzy
                Museum Super Collector
                • Apr 1, 2023

The Spectre is next! Wow!!

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by hizzy
                  The Spectre is next! Wow!!
                  He needs a white bodysuit!

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                    Radioactive!
                    • Feb 13, 2010

I will definitely add a white body suit to mine.

Comment

• Action Martin
                      Apeonaut
                      • Dec 30, 2007

I don't mind pre-ordering. At least there's a sort of guarantee that I will get what I want. I'm too old for the "hunt" and there aren't many retailers like the "good, ol' days". The only stores that carried Mego action figures in my county were Target and two Walmarts. The last time that I went to Target was around Christmas and they had like 4 peg warmers. I went to my local Walmart last week and the 6 Megos that they had accumulating dust in the "collectibles" aisle for the past year or so finally disappeared.
                      Scott

Comment

• Xavion2004
                        • Dec 15, 2022

Yep, definitely going to need a white bodysuit. I hope there’s one available that fits these bodies well. The head sculpt looks great. I’m a fan of the plastic hood. I don’t think you’re going to get a good fabric hood at this price point. The head seems a little big and sits a little high on the neck, so hopefully they will clean that up a bit before production.

Great character choice, though. I wanted a Mego JSA so bad as a kid, especially Dr. Fate, the Spectre, Starman, and Hourman. That’s two down!

Comment

• wise guy
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 29, 2014

The Spectre needs a white body suit . The head looks really good but the body looks a like home made custom. If the new ones are looking like this than maybe it's time to dump my Mego's and move on. I will always love the originals from my childhood but I'm starting to lose hope. This makes me think of Marvel Mego of Namor with a good head ,and a plain body in Robin trunks

Comment

• nubee
                            Career Member
                            • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by LonnieFisher

Pre-ordering sucks when they show prototypes and the end product looks nothing like it. The new Andorian prototype looked awesome and the released figures looks nothing like it. The head sculpt, figure color, and outfit are all different from the released figure. The Two-face outfit looks nothing like the prototype. Things like this make me not pre-order very much. I did pre-order the Andorian and Talosian and no other Mego figures. If Mego sells with doing pre-orders, then make the figures look like what people ordered. Not a good way to do business.
                            Totally agree. Additionally, please remember every wave was presented with a unique issue from the semi-floppy sidekick body to the current fragile brittle body. For me, the days of FOMO are over. There need to be confidence of quality before I pre-order again.

Comment

• hizzy
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Apr 1, 2023

Mego's QC needs to improve. With each wave, I'm buying less.

Comment

• Jase
                                Museum Patron
                                • Sep 22, 2021

The new newsletter has revealed that Martian Manhunter will join the Spectre in Wave 19!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎