Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Isn't Everyone Freaking Out About The New Wave?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hizzy
    Museum Super Collector
    • Apr 1, 2023

Having a few of these in hand, I do think they could have had softer facial features. I have Firestorm, Deadman and Braniac and they are a touch over-sculpted.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by hizzy
      Having a few of these in hand, I do think they could have had softer facial features. I have Firestorm, Deadman and Braniac and they are a touch over-sculpted.
      Maybe you’ll be in luck and I’ll get fired!

I've done softer sculpts and more detailed sculpts and got way more compliments from the detailed ones. My art director is happy, my supervisor is happy, and the license holders are happy, and majority of fans seem happy. And that’s what’s important.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• KnightDetective
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 31, 2012

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost

I've done softer sculpts and more detailed sculpts and got way more compliments from the detailed ones.
        Thanks for revealing that it's a style choice! Had thought perhaps the more detailed, more deeply "carved" sculpts were done before the switch to hard heads and were intended to compensate for some inherent loss of detail in the rotocast process.

I enjoy the variety. I'm planning to group the more detailed stuff into a separate display and slowly add slightly upgraded bits to the costuming. Sort of a budget-friendly, homestyle version of what original Mego did with Flash Gordon but keeping the 8-inch scale for compatibility.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
          Radioactive!
          • Feb 13, 2010

With Brainiac and Firestorm in particular, the sculpts strike me as solidly in line with what late Seventies Mego might have produced.

Comment

• wise guy
            Career Member
            • Dec 29, 2014

The head detail is the best thing I like about these . As a kid I would have killed for these. Deadman and Fate are my favorites.
            I hope Ironman looks as good as Fate with no nose when the Marvels come out
            Last edited by wise guy; May 3, '24, 7:07 AM.

Comment

• hizzy
              Museum Super Collector
              • Apr 1, 2023

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost

Maybe you’ll be in luck and I’ll get fired!

I've done softer sculpts and more detailed sculpts and got way more compliments from the detailed ones. My art director is happy, my supervisor is happy, and the license holders are happy, and majority of fans seem happy. And that’s what’s important.
              I hope you don't get fired! I do like them but I prefer softer features on my Megos. The Mego smile speaks to my inner child and to a simpler time.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I'll freak out when I have them in hand, and probably not all in a good way lol.
                I know myself well; I've had them about two weeks.

WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

Originally posted by scott metzger

Let's face it, Mego had trouble getting enough orders to make the two Trek figures in this wave (technically, they apparently didn't, really, but made them anyway. And, yes, I was utterly shocked at the idea Mego was having trouble selling Trek aliens). Same with the Oompa Loompa. I think the one Game of Thrones sequel figure in the same situation was dropped altogether. And I believe Fox asked them to sit on the Apes for a bit because of the new movie. What's apparently not having problems is the super heroes. Red Tornado and Deadman are not exactly household names (much as I personally love the characters), but I didn't hear a hint of any problems getting enough orders for them. Despite a lot of talking heads blathering about super hero fatigue, comic book characters have never had such a high profile in general pop culture before. If I recall correctly, Big Lots asked Mego specifically for some exclusive heroes. The WGSH line was Mego's workhorse back in the day (I seem to remember the line was somewhere around 18% of their total revenue at one point), and I wouldn't be surprised if history is repeating itself. Die hard fans had been asking for exactly what we're getting since Mego came back; it's not a shock that they are apparently doing well. Now, I am betting that the nostalgia bug will also make the upcoming Trek re-dos a popular seller, as well. Retro is very in right now, and a lot of the local action figure aisles are looking like a toy flashback. And Mego, as a business, has to go where the sales are. I want more Trek, Apes and Monsters, too, but I do understand you have to follow the money. And it seems that money dons its underwear on the outside...
                  But what I'm asking for technically ARE Superheroes, and interest in Japanese characters are at an all time high.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎