Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Isn't Everyone Freaking Out About The New Wave?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I don't think they're out in any real significant way yet. When Frank gets his shipment rolling, I imagine that will change.

Not sure if this wave will even hit mass retail. Diamond distributes the Trek and the Oompa Loompa, so they will be at comic shops and the like.

I'm somewhat numb to the whole wave; it's a weird cocktail of being that minority of people who aren't this into Superheroes (although I'm happy for people who are) and, well, the creeping feeling that Mego really doesn't have much interest in the Museum.

Perhaps I've been myopic, but I envisioned the Museum as the place where you could find answers and communicate directly with their team, but they wanted it to be Facebook only.

I've tried to help by making videos, writing articles, and attending live streams. Still, after six years, I can't get an honest answer or timely information, and samples go to everyone but us. I've tried to assert myself, but being honest only made matters worse; I'll take the blame for that.

I've also taken a lot of guff for stuff that goes on in Ambassadors, and I haven't had anything to do with that group in years. I never visit and have no contact with the folks in charge. Also, a lot of people think the Museum IS Mego.

We'll continue to post Mego news here when they send it, but I don't have much energy for anything else as it's clearly not the direction they want to go. I'd rather make my own products and endeavours look the best they can be.

Steve and I have been writing the newsletter for nine years, and I'm proud of its growth and popularity. We'll continue to contribute what we can.​ The MegoMuseum, MegoMeet, MegoMania and CustoMego are independent of Mego Corp, always have been, always will but we still welcome them.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

It's a shame since the audience that is buying Mego product now may not have even been there for them without this place. There certainly would have been far less people eager for Mego's return without the work of you, Robyn, Steve, Joe and everyone else flying the brand flag here.
      Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Mar 21, '24, 12:11 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        It's a shame since the audience that is buying Mego product now may not have even been there for them without this place. There certainly would have been far less people eager for Mego's return without the work of you, Robyn, Steve, Joe and everyone else flying the brand flag here.
        Yeah, these were my expectations, not Mego's, so it just didn't pan out. It started out shaky and has been kind of a roller coaster. Sometimes, it was fantastic, but I also left Ambassador Moderation in 2022 as I felt I wasn't making a positive difference and well, nobody came running after me either.

I can see a positive vibe here and on Pod Stallions so I am happy with what I'm doing. I love Mego. It's part of me, but it's not the only part. Plus I don't have the time I once did, so the less conflict, the better for me.

We're all adults here. Nobody is mad, there is no forthcoming manifesto, it is what it is. There is more to talk about, so we'll be fine. We were doing fine prior to 2018, and we're not going anywhere.

I'm buying an Andorian, a Talos and an Oompa Loompa if that's possible in Canada.

Comment

• puckace
          Museum Super Collector
          • Feb 5, 2009

Well I wish Mego would at least throw you a bone once and awhile. I rarely go to Facebook for anything. The podcasts are ok, but time consuming. I would have loved to be able to come here for all things Mego. But especially news. I find it difficult to find any real information about Mego on the web. Someone asked about why there isn't any excitement about the new wave hitting. Well frankly, I don't really know when any new Mego stuff is coming. I was hoping for a new wave to show up around Christmas. But zip anywhere retail or etail. The biggest time of year to sell toys and nothing new at all. Very disappointing. I'm glad the new wave is finally here, but for me it's out of sight out of mind.

I appreciate all you guys do here at the museum.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, my initial hope was that the Museum would be used as a resource for them, but their social media plans didn't include us. It was all Facebook, and they wanted to build their groups independently of us. I certainly won't say it's bad or wrong. I do, however, believe that a Google-searchable forum and website with as much history as the Museum is a valuable asset to have.

I'll still post whatever they send me, but I just don't have the time to fetch information from the insane "Escher painting" that is the Facebook layout.

Regardless of all that, the Museum is going to keep going and well, I hope communication from Mego improves somewhat.

It would be nice if certain questions were answered in a positive way.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 22, 2011

Thanks for all you do Brian and for keeping things positive here. Hopefully Mego will come around to realizing what an asset the Museum could be.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I only wanted the Super Gals. I have zero interest in any of these. Just as well, I'm not a customizer and I'm tired of fixing them or waiting for them to be fixed.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• hizzy
                  Museum Super Collector
                  • Apr 1, 2023

I'm on the various facebook groups and I always thought they were affiliated to the Mego Museum. I've followed the museum for years and it's my main connection to the brand.

I would like all of the figures in the new wave, but only if they are available through Amazon Canada, otherwise the shipping and the exchange makes it too expensive. I've been paying less that 20.00 CAN for a figure with free shipping from Prime. I've never seen a modern figure in a store here in Montreal.
                  Last edited by hizzy; Mar 23, '24, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• thatblockoguy
                    • Mar 24, 2010

I’m in the same boat. I keep checking on Amazon.com to see if they have the ordering from Canada option. Hopefully once these are actually available on the US site then we’ll have that option

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by hizzy
                      I would like all of the figures in the new wave, but only if they are available through Amazon Canada, otherwise the shipping and the exchange makes it too expensive. I've been paying less that 20.00 CAN for a figure with free shipping from Prime. I've never seen a modern figure in a store here in Montreal.
                      Ontario hasn't seen a new figure since 2021? Maybe early 2022? We never got the WGSH or anything past that.

Toys R Us carried them, but I noticed in their reset of the Adult collector section that my hometown is in the cash lane (a pretty high-traffic spot), but Mego is gonzo from the planogram. I can't believe the WGSH never saw retail here.

The Amazon shop is great, but we have never got Shazam, Green Arrow, or a bunch of other characters. I don't get that at all.

Attached Files

Comment

• hizzy
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Apr 1, 2023

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Yeah, my initial hope was that the Museum would be used as a resource for them, but their social media plans didn't include us. It was all Facebook, and they wanted to build their groups independently of us. I certainly won't say it's bad or wrong. I do, however, believe that a Google-searchable forum and website with as much history as the Museum is a valuable asset to have.

I'll still post whatever they send me, but I just don't have the time to fetch information from the insane "Escher painting" that is the Facebook layout.

Regardless of all that, the Museum is going to keep going and well, I hope communication from Mego improves somewhat.

It would be nice if certain questions were answered in a positive way.
                        I am a part of other collector scenes and I've see occasions where the brand becomes too affiliated with the forums the fans are on. In these cases, the forums are less about discussion and being a fan and turn into a tool for advertising. In this sense I appreciate the museum's independence. It's not a bombardment of what's coming next but a place where fans can chat about the things they like/don't like. Also, the level of discourse here is very civil and friendly. It's a very good vibe.

From this wave, Dr. Fate is a home run. Other figures flat out surprised me. The prototype photos didn't do enough justice to Two Face, Bizzaro or Dead Man. The prototypes didn't have the Mego look that the finished product has. I went from "meh" on these figures to "WOW!" The costumes look amazing. Red Tornado could have had a bit more finish but it's not a huge miss.

I refresh Amazon Canada every day hoping to see who will be available in Canada. I've seen the figure for offer on Amazon US but the shipping is too high. I'm afraid of getting Green Arrow-ed on some of these. The FOMO is real

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                          valar morghulis
                          • Mar 8, 2005

I refresh Amazon Canada every day hoping to see who will be available in Canada. I've seen the figure for offer on Amazon US but the shipping is too high. I'm afraid of getting Green Arrow-ed on some of these. The FOMO is real
                          Another member recommended these folks based in Rochester NY, each of the new figures is $18.50 USD and they ship to Canada. Might be worth a look.

An amazing product from Mego - Mego 50th Anniversary DC World Greatset Series 8-Inch Action Figure - Select Figure(s), Barcode: 850042500569. Order now at ToyShnip.com

Comment

• palitoy
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I am a part of other collector scenes and I've see occasions where the brand becomes too affiliated with the forums the fans are on. In these cases, the forums are less about discussion and being a fan and turn into a tool for advertising. In this sense I appreciate the museum's independence. It's not a bombardment of what's coming next but a place where fans can chat about the things they like/don't like. Also, the level of discourse here is very civil and friendly. It's a very good vibe.
                            You know, you're right. I never thought about it that way and it's a positive takeaway. I have never received any edicts to delete threads or avoid certain subjects, save for the odd leak they didn't want out there. I absolutely wouldn't have enjoyed any sort of corporate interference, I doubt any of us would.

I think the freedom that grants us is pretty valuable. Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Sideshow Spock
                              Another member recommended these folks based in Rochester NY, each of the new figures is $18.50 USD and they ship to Canada. Might be worth a look.

An amazing product from Mego - Mego 50th Anniversary DC World Greatset Series 8-Inch Action Figure - Select Figure(s), Barcode: 850042500569. Order now at ToyShnip.com
                              That's where I got the last two 50th waves from. Not sure about the shipping to Canada costs, but I highly recommend them.

Comment

• hizzy
                                Museum Super Collector
                                • Apr 1, 2023

Shipping was 30 usd for two figures :P

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡