Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Thats so typical of Mattel. An announcement solely designed to make collectors rush out and buy up their inventory. And yet they will continue to make more. That's hilarious. They never said they were discontinuing the line. This is SO like Mattel to dangle the carrot. They'll make more characters. They're just milking demand as they go, so they don't get stuck with any massive surplus of unwanted figures.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^I don't know. They've been known to launch something big and then just let it wither away. I hope they do have more planned, but it sounds like it's a ways off either way.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        ^I don't know. They've been known to launch something big and then just let it wither away. I hope they do have more planned, but it sounds like it's a ways off either way.

Chris
        Absolutely. But I've never seen anyone announce a line was closing down before product has even reached shelves. Especially one as pricey as the '66 license. I think they just answered the question the way it was asked. B&R, Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, and Riddler are the primary characters from that show. They may not have gotten licensing for anyone else... for now. But I don't think that answer suggests people should run out and pay $200 for a Batmobile when more are being made. Mattel is just making the baseline characters for now. I don't take that answer to imply anything more. We as fans look alot deeper into the series than what the real market would likely support. Me thinks. But I GUARANTEE you these things will be all over shelves at both TRU and Target stores during Christmas. No one is going to quit ordering them as long as they sell like they are.
        Last edited by MIB41; Aug 16, '13, 9:17 AM.

Comment

• ScottA
          Original Member
          • Jun 25, 2001

This news makes me want to skip it entirely.
          sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by ScottA
            This news makes me want to skip it entirely.

I'm on the Fence ...
            Love the Formate ..., with DCU classics and all ...
            I have the Batmobile..., West and Ward...
            and the 4 Villians Pre-ordered...
            I only really wanted a BaT Copter ..., and Batgirl with Cycle.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
              Persistent Member
              • Jun 22, 2011

Picked up Batman, Penguin and Riddler this morning at Wal-Mart. They are really nice figures. It would be a shame not to continue them. They really should at least add Batgirl at some point.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Wait...these are at WAL-MART?!? Now, am I nuts, or did Mattel say that the figures would NOT be at regular retail chains?

The miscommunication around this line is beyond maddening. First the TRU exclusive Batmobile is available at Target (thankfully cheaper) and now these "online retail only" figures are at Wal-mart.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 11, 2013

Since Mattel said they are not going to do any more in this line, I am not picking them up. This will free up more money for Megos.
                  Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jun 22, 2011

I was really surprised to find them at Wal-Mart. I only had hopes of finding them at Toys R Us.

Comment

• Teemu
                      Persistent Member
                      • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by Mego-Amigo
                      Picked up Batman, Penguin and Riddler this morning at Wal-Mart. They are really nice figures. It would be a shame not to continue them. They really should at least add Batgirl at some point.
                      they can't do Batgirl until she signs over her likeness....which unless Warner Brothers pays her more than peanuts,it's never going to happen....same thing with Hot Toys

until then..she's out of the game!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

and she's going to end up missing the boat.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                          and she's going to end up missing the boat.
                          Exactly. She may have been in the series. But she did not MAKE the series. She was there for the death knell. All these years of adulation from conventions has warped her sense of contribution to that series. This market is going to get saturated with '66 product shortly. Mattel's limited run of characters is proof some companies will not invest deep in that cast of characters. So any money she stood to make is already falling by the wayside. That train is leaving the station. And the thing is, Batgirl merchandise will get made anyway. It will be hard to argue likeness under that costume she has no rights to. Ask Peter Criss and Ace Frehley if you doubt that is commonplace in the market.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jun 22, 2011

I am aware of the likeness issues with Yvonne. I was just hoping she would give in while the giving is good or at least Mattel will do a generic version.

Comment

• Captain_Dan
                              Museum Super Collector
                              • Dec 19, 2010

I picked up Batman and Riddler at Walmart a few hours ago. I was surprised to see them.

Comment

• Harbingerboy
                                Career Member
                                • Jun 18, 2007

I don't see Mattel or any other company attempting a generic '66 Batgirl. Mask or no mask, there is an arguable likeness issue. And unless a Mattycollector or Con exclusive (maybe w/batcycle - I could only dream) is somehow finagled, sounds like the ship has sailed on a Batgirl '66 figure.

Having said that, I am more than happy to at least own the dynamic duo, the Batmobile and the main four villains. Also, Batusi Batman is pretty awesome, IMO!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎