X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

A lot of people don't know this.....
    Spaceballs was actually written by George Lucas in 1973.
    After Lucas reworked it into Star Wars in '74.... He sold the original script to Mel Brooks in '86.

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by type1kirk
      A lot of people don't know this.....
      Spaceballs was actually written by George Lucas in 1973.
      After Lucas reworked it into Star Wars in '74.... He sold the original script to Mel Brooks in '86.
      I'd like to note something...

I don't really mind one way or another that you're
      (as I said it) "spreading misinformation" I mean, why should I care...
      its not MY franchise (and why should LUCAS care---he's got his billion bucks)

I just found it ironic that you & Dave were complaining about Lucas rewriting
      "real" history----while you were guilty of not only doing that---
      but by taking facts about the making of STAR WARS that I took
      to this arena to discuss and threw 'em away as if everybody
      was in on a "make Lucas look good" conspiracy

I took it personal---am I crazy for that? Maybe. Just thought
      you and Dave would appreciate it...guess I was wrong.
      (the COPS thing was funny...especialy out of context...I laughed)

I'd also like to note one more significant thing about what you
      said about FETT'S STORY being changed inbetween the time
      of ESB and AOTC...well, there's no reason for me to think that
      that wasn't a possibility....its quite possible that LUCAS blended the "clone"
      and "Fett" aspect into one story because, frankly, it seems
      like a logical choice that I haven't heard any thing to contradict
      from anyone

Of course anything else you said in that same post is already disproven
      through countless interviews---another thing Mike (and all)---
      that you have to understand is that revealing all these
      surprise "family matters" as SURPRISES was key to LUKE'S STORY'S
      success, so it just stands to reason that LUCAS would keep them
      as underwraps as possible, until the last possible moment---that'd
      take a lot of the "heat" off of what went on regarding them pre ESB/ROTJ
      contained in a very small circle of people & sources
      Last edited by huedell; Jan 4, '08, 10:53 PM.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by huedell
        The fact that you and toyroom over here want to make it out like I'm in the wrong for trying to shed some some light
        to the ignorant (namely YOU and anyone else that thumbs
        their noses at facts)...well, that's your perogative...

You call it "drama'---I call it "patience" beacuse I
        could've easily just dropped it instead of bringing facts to the table
        ---facts that were gonna be thrown away anyway----oh well
        Hugh, I never said one way or another that you were wrong (although it does seem that you always have to be right)...I have no opinion either way on the topic other than what I stated...typical Huedell drama. Lighten up willya?
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by The Toyroom
          Hugh, I never said one way or another that you were wrong (although it does seem that you always have to be right)...I have no opinion either way on the topic other than what I stated...typical Huedell drama. Lighten up willya?
          I see what you're saying. (I never thought you were arguing what I was saying
          regarding SW, only calling my "drama" not worth your time
          ---i.e. "stayed too long"---instead of just enjoying it!)

If I say, I'll "lighten up" right now can I get irritated 5 minutes from now
          all over again???
          Last edited by huedell; Jan 5, '08, 12:11 AM.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Vortigern99
            Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
            • Jul 2, 2006

I post the following with no ill intent or hidden agenda, as an ardent fan and admirer of George Lucas and STAR WARS. I post only what I believe to be the facts through years of attention and research into this matter; if I slip up in any regard I ask your forgiveness -- and your prompt correction.

There is some indication that Lucas is either mistaken about the real origins of Darth Vader, or he is deliberately obfuscating the facts in order to present a more cohesive version of the development of the Saga. The early drafts of the original 1977 film (now called Episode IV -- 'A New Hope') show us that Darth Vader and Luke's father were two distinct individuals, existing at the same time in different locations, both with lines of dialogue and totally different purposes in the plot. This remains the case through the various treatments and the first and second draft. The third draft is problematic because it's more like the filmed version, with Kenobi talking about Luke's deceased dad rather than the audience actually seeing the character on-screen, but Luke also has his own memories of his father as a normal, loving guy who could not be Darth Vader. The fourth and fourth revised drafts are the filmed versions of the script, so all we have to go one is Kenobi's "falsehood" to Luke about Vader betraying and murdering his father. If Lucas intended to combine the two characters at this point, he didn't tell anyone about it or make any notes about it, or write it down in any way that has been published or made available in any published work.

The first time the Vader-as-father subplot was written down was the draft of 'The Empire Strikes Back' written by Lawrence Kasdan in April, 1978 -- almost a year after the release of the original film. This does not mean Kasdan came up with the idea; the script derived from story meetings that took place in early 1978 between Lucas, Irvin Kershner the director of ESB, and Kasdan. (Leigh Brackett, though credited with a contribution to the screenplay, only wrote an early, unused draft of "STAR WARS II", before passing away. Her draft tellingly featured the benevolent ghost of Luke's father speaking to his son. Almost nothing of this draft remains.)

There are other factors pointing to the idea that Vader-as-father was not a facet of Lucas' original conception of the story, despite what the author/director has said in interviews in the last ten years or so. One of these is an interview with Lucas himself in 1977, when he described the broad strokes of the 'Jedi purge' perpetrated by Vader. In this account, Lucas reveals that Luke's father, whom he names 'Anakin', survived the Jedi purge, only to be later betrayed and killed by Vader, who is already a mechanical man. It could be argued that Lucas was intentionally misleading the public so as to spring the "surprise" on them in ESB; but if that's the case, if Lucas obfuscated facts about the Saga back then, why would it be so hard to believe that he's obfuscating the facts now? He's either simply mistaken, and innocently misremembering the facts, or he's deliberately revising film and literary history in order to present his work in a better, more cohesive light.

As I said earlier, I think such an effort is unnecessary. The creative process is one of constant revision and development, and requires no false perception by the public indicating otherwise, in order to be considered valid or important or artful.

Regarding Leia, again the filmmakers have gone back and forth, at first admitting that this was not part of the original plan, and that they took a convenient opportunity to tie up loose ends by making her Luke's sister and "the Other" spoken of by Yoda in ESB. In recent years Lucas has backtracked on this score, and now maintains it was his idea all along. The most damning indication that it was an on-the-fly, last-minute retcon is that in the original fourth draft of the 1977 film -- the shooting script of the movie -- Leia's age is given as 16 and Luke's is 19.

If anyone is interested in further reading about the origins of Star Wars, which is still hotly debated on the discussion boards I help moderate at TheForce.Net - Your Daily Dose of Star Wars, I recommend checking out a full-length e-book, The Secret History of Star Wars, at The Secret History of Star Wars . It's well researched if occasionally critical, and employs alot of interviews and articles Lucasfilm will not "own up to". Though I did not help write the book in any way, I am listed (as Noah Henson) as the originator of the observation, based on the early drafts, that Luke's dad and Vader were not intended to be the same character until well into the development of Star Wars.
            Last edited by Vortigern99; Jan 5, '08, 12:47 AM.

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Vortigern wrote:
              I post the following with no ill intent or hidden agenda, as an ardent fan and admirer of George Lucas and STAR WARS. I post only what I believe to be the facts through years of attention and research into this matter; if I slip up in any regard I ask your forgiveness -- and your prompt correction.
              Same goes for me...all respect...word to your mother and, so on

Now onto the words

Your post, informative as it was doesn't really give new information
              much more than I already said...especially regarding disproving the
              VADER/LEIA stuff specifically

Firstly,
              Lucas' early drafts on STAR WARS show a GAZILLION things that weren't
              part of the final shooting script.

In truth Lucas loved the idea of making a FLASH GORDON-like serial, but
              knew to make his special, he'd have to WORK real hard at a layered myth
              of a script to make it the best it could be---something he'd have to do some
              good research on------and in the process of perfecting a really cool story with
              alotta highly surprising twists, he changed things constantly...as we know him to do

THAT's the nature of writing scripts...especially GOOD ones.

So there's that...

Plus---take note of what I previously posted:
              that you have to understand is that revealing all these
              surprise "family matters" as SURPRISES was key to LUKE'S STORY'S
              success, so it just stands to reason that LUCAS would keep them
              as underwraps as possible, until the last possible moment---that'd
              take a lot of the "heat" off of what went on regarding them pre ESB/ROTJ
              contained in a very small circle of people & sources
              This is dead on OBVIOUS regarding the FATHER aspect.

Just listen to the double-talking jive OWEN and BEN give to Luke
              regarding VADER/ANAKIN---if the "FATHER" thing wasn't set in
              stone---it sure was being considered---PLUS as you explained-
              --they left NOTHING to chance and REMOVED any indication that
              they were definitely TWO people in the movie....because good chances
              were ---they weren't

Anything that remained --that hinted they were TWO people
              (even tho' ANAKIN & VADER were likely to be ONE person)
              was done for two reasons---one, as a red herring that'd
              throw audiences off the scent and build some good drama
              between LUKE and DARTH (and OBI and DARTH)
              plus---IF NEW HOPE woulda been the LAST SW film---well,
              everything woulda been wrapped up neatly enough without
              actually KILLING Vader at the end of the film.

Now, the sister aspect? Same deal.
              Who ELSE would have been the "other" anyway

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

Unless Lucas went back to his original idea and gave Luke a brother. Although where he was hiding all of that time would be anyone's guess.

Comment

• grayhank
                  That Fisher Price Guy
                  • Feb 9, 2007

I don't know if this helps but upon looking through the recent book by Steve Sansweet - The Star Wars Vault - there is a reproduction handwritten draft by Lucas for the Empire Strikes Back. It is dated 11/28/77. That was when he began writing the sequel. This was clearly after the release of Star Wars. So whether he had planned the sequel or not is debatable but he didn't start writing it until after Star Wars.

An excerpt from Sansweet's book:

"Lucas, physically and mentally exhausted from his four year writing and directing ordeal, decided to farm out both [writing and directing] for Empire. He wrote a detailed story treatment, but hired Leigh Brackett, a noted fantasy and science fiction author, to write the screenplay; she died of cancer just after handing in a first draft. The draft didn't work for Lucas, so he wrote a second draft and then recruited writer Lawrence Kasdan (with whom he'd been working on the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark) to polish it." Pg.52
                  Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by grayhank
                    I don't know if this helps but upon looking through the recent book by Steve Sansweet - The Star Wars Vault - there is a reproduction handwritten draft by Lucas for the Empire Strikes Back. It is dated 11/28/77. That was when he began writing the sequel. This was clearly after the release of Star Wars. So whether he had planned the sequel or not is debatable but he didn't start writing it until after Star Wars.

An excerpt from Sansweet's book:

"Lucas, physically and mentally exhausted from his four year writing and directing ordeal, decided to farm out both [writing and directing] for Empire. He wrote a detailed story treatment, but hired Leigh Brackett, a noted fantasy and science fiction author, to write the screenplay; she died of cancer just after handing in a first draft. The draft didn't work for Lucas, so he wrote a second draft and then recruited writer Lawrence Kasdan (with whom he'd been working on the screenplay for Raiders of the Lost Ark) to polish it." Pg.52
                    That has always been the story...and its a true story...but its a
                    condensed story

After alotta wacky script drafts with plots not much resembling the
                    movies we came to know Lucas wrote LUKES STORY and eventually
                    (as he was writing yet ANOTHER rewrite---one closer
                    to the movies we know) saw that it was too long for
                    ONE 2 hr. movie (this story concluded with DARTH turning on
                    the EMPEROR after a final battle over a Death Star type space station)
                    This was even before any "close to the real story" drafts
                    scripts were shared with anyone else.
                    Indeed, once Lucas KNEW there were gonna be
                    THREE 2 hr. movies and got the idea that
                    DARTH may be LUKE's father and that LEIA may be
                    LUKE's sister...and that these CRUCIAL SURPRISE plot
                    points were gonna be in movies released a long time
                    after NEW HOPE----well, he kept his great secret(s) to
                    himself---the future of his STAR WARS project depended
                    on not ruining those surprises

As mentioned in previous posts---Lucas ALSO wasn't
                    sure if STAR WARS (NEW HOPE) was going to be the first &
                    LAST SW movie ever made, so he tried to make SW a self-contained
                    movie by tacking the DS Battle at the end of ACT ONE of LUKE'S STORY
                    (a 6 hr. project now turned into a 2hr. project for the time being)
                    and not touching upon Luke's definitive father story or siblings in ACT ONE
                    --ACT ONE now being a full 2 hr. movie "A NEW HOPE"
                    Last edited by huedell; Jan 5, '08, 2:33 AM.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                      Pat Troughton in disguise
                      • Nov 21, 2007

...are we there yet?
                      ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                        Unless Lucas went back to his original idea and gave Luke a brother. Although where he was hiding all of that time would be
                        anyone's guess.
                        Interesting---a brother Han Skywalker? Ha!
                        Talk about sibling rivalry----

Seriously though---quite a bit a foreshadowing
                        in EMPIRE what with the "FORCE COMMUNICATION"
                        between LUKE & LEIA at the end.

One great thing for the "doubting Thomases" here would be
                        to ask KASDAN and get HIS definitive answer on the definitve subtext
                        in that scene (and the "there is another" scene)

Personally, I'm going off what Lucas/history has said...

..and more importantly (to me)...the "what the heck else could
                        those things be hinting at?" theory

I'll also concede that LUCAS was leaving the idea open in case
                        he decided to go the other way---a less incestual (i.e. "safer"
                        and thus, a possibly more marketable) way.

In fact, Lucas HAD to leave it open as FORD was threatening
                        to leave the franchise if he didn't have script approval,
                        & certain "other" perks...etc. (Ford was the only one who didn't
                        sign a 3 picture deal) FORD was close to forcing Lucas to
                        KILL OFF HAN ----and that would've (most likely) forced Lucas to
                        pair LUKE up with LEIA romantically in the third movie
                        Last edited by huedell; Jan 5, '08, 3:50 AM.

Comment

• Dave Mc
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 20, 2002

Ahh Hugh, you make it too easy. I've been working on you for years but you just don't get it. You think I have some dislike for you and some personal vendetta. Far from the truth, I kind of get a kick out of you and I love your passion for customs. However, you get so wound and intense over any of these little debates, so focused on trying to swing others to your point of view and so unwilling to concede any points or issues that it's hard for a guy like me not to "poke the bear" now and again and watch him spin.

I don't know the facts, you've probably stated many things that are true. Probably stated many things that are myth. My personal opinions are the same as originally stated, I don't think as much of it was planned as Lucas now states. However, I'm not so convinced I'm right that I couldn't be easily swayed. However, you get so intense over trying to convince, that's it's too hard to resist playing the other side hard core just to watch you snap. From our first CTVT debate to this current one, and every debate you've had with any member in between, it's the same thing. You discredit yourself by taking it all too seriously and getting all worked up. It kind of becomes a game you let yourself fall victim too. People stop listening to what you say and just start watching the show.

Back off on the coffee or something man, but put it in perspective. LIGHTEN UP! Sometimes you're wrong, consider that. Sometimes you are right but can't convince the other side of it. No big deal, it's not worth getting yourself all lathered up about. You can never see when someone is actually debating you, or when someone is just pushing your buttons. I admit, it's not a nice thing to do, but sometimes it's just hard to resist.

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

Don't know EXACTLY what to say Dave---

I hear ya--you have fun on message boards, egging people on...

...guess its kinda the same reason I pro-actively chime in on threads where
                            I know I'll have tough opposition on certain subject matter (?)
                            (altho' I always have a sincere passion for what I'm saying--
                            -and I don't say it just to "say it" or "wind people up")

--I don't know if you can tell from my reply posts--
                            -but I try to temper each of my irritated reactions with
                            something to balance it----to bring some additional logic
                            to the thread subject or whatever.

Is it a lot of "drama", or whatever? Apparently so.
                            However, to me, my passionate insights are straight-up "me"

You just continuing on doing what you're doing for posts is your business
                            (right or wrong, you seem okay enough)...
                            and, myself, I'd prefer continuing doing what I'm doing--- which is
                            certainly not being a "troll"....that term doesn't jive with me, because its
                            just not true...

---but we all know how SUSPECT the "truth" is around here

...ahem...

regarding the STAR WARS stuff ...I've learned a couplea things here---
                            and hopefully you & others have to...that's about it
                            Last edited by huedell; Jan 5, '08, 3:05 PM.

Comment

• Vortigern99
                              Scholar/Gentleman/Weirdo
                              • Jul 2, 2006

Huedell, I think you've missed my point. I wholly appreciate the vagaries of the creative process, and as an artist and writer I fully understand the surprisng twists and turns a story or a piece of artwork can take, seemingly of its own volition. I have no problem with the idea that Vader and Luke's father were originally two distinct characters, then merged at some point in the development of the Saga -- probably, as I've shown, in early 1978. In fact, I think it's a stroke of genius. The impact that revelation had on me as a young man is indescribably profound.

The problem -- and the reason for this discussion -- arises when Mr. Lucas asserts, as he has done for many years now, that "Vader and Anakin were always one character" and that "STAR WAR was always about this monster villain who turns out to be the hero's father". (These are almost direct quotes of what Lucas has said time and again; I'm only paraphrasing the order of the wording.) These statements are demonstrably untrue. Thus, Lucas is either innocently mistaken about the origins of his own story -- perhaps he simply has a poor memory -- or he is deliberately obfuscating the truth in order to lend more credence or validity to his work.

Originally posted by huedell
                              Vortigern wrote:

Same goes for me...all respect...word to your mother and, so on

Now onto the words

Your post, informative as it was doesn't really give new information
                              much more than I already said...especially regarding disproving the
                              VADER/LEIA stuff specifically

Firstly,
                              Lucas' early drafts on STAR WARS show a GAZILLION things that weren't
                              part of the final shooting script.

In truth Lucas loved the idea of making a FLASH GORDON-like serial, but
                              knew to make his special, he'd have to WORK real hard at a layered myth
                              of a script to make it the best it could be---something he'd have to do some
                              good research on------and in the process of perfecting a really cool story with
                              alotta highly surprising twists, he changed things constantly...as we know him to do

THAT's the nature of writing scripts...especially GOOD ones.

So there's that...

Plus---take note of what I previously posted:

This is dead on OBVIOUS regarding the FATHER aspect.

Just listen to the double-talking jive OWEN and BEN give to Luke
                              regarding VADER/ANAKIN---if the "FATHER" thing wasn't set in
                              stone---it sure was being considered---PLUS as you explained-
                              --they left NOTHING to chance and REMOVED any indication that
                              they were definitely TWO people in the movie....because good chances
                              were ---they weren't

Anything that remained --that hinted they were TWO people
                              (even tho' ANAKIN & VADER were likely to be ONE person)
                              was done for two reasons---one, as a red herring that'd
                              throw audiences off the scent and build some good drama
                              between LUKE and DARTH (and OBI and DARTH)
                              plus---IF NEW HOPE woulda been the LAST SW film---well,
                              everything woulda been wrapped up neatly enough without
                              actually KILLING Vader at the end of the film.

Now, the sister aspect? Same deal.
                              Who ELSE would have been the "other" anyway

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

Vortigern---its not so much that "I missed your point" as
                                I guess I just was addressing YOUR points as if
                                I was moreso talking to some of the others that have posted
                                in this thread ---as, at some times I thought you
                                were doing something strange by seemingly pressing
                                points which I felt like we were long past realizing
                                and by doing that, contributing to some misundersandings
                                regarding issues that we WEREN'T "past realizing"
                                and giving others on this thread fodder for complicating
                                some points of my own I was trying to make...

(The most apparent point being the obvious thing of
                                VADER AS LUKE'S FATHER coming into play VERY late
                                in the game...I thought we settled that early on
                                in the thread)

I realize the above explanation is a bit tricky to decipher
                                ---but re-read it a few times and you may get what I'm
                                trying to say

Regardless---I think I know what you're getting at with your posts
                                ----especialy after skimming thru your great book
                                Last edited by huedell; Jan 6, '08, 4:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎