Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobws
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 13, 2008

can anyone send me some episodes on disc? otherwise i'm gonna have to buy the region 2 release in oct.
    "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

All of that build up and that's how they end it? I'm trying to figure out why they had to throw in a David Tennant style "What?!" in for.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

This whole season is one huge mess, throwing in several storylines all together. The Oswald Danes story seems to be totally irrelevant to the main story.
        So now they're going on a terribly dangerous mission and they have to take Danes along? They can't tie him up in the basement? Just because Rhys wants to beat him up, and rightly so...
        It's as if they had three or four stories and decided to put it all in one "epic" non-stop...mess...

I'm hoping for the best for next season, if there is one...
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• raider5gt
          Museum Tree Cutter
          • Nov 25, 2007

^^^^^
          I tried to get back into it again Rik but alas,i really didn't know what was going on so i gave up,if there is going to be another series,maybe they could recruit some new members.

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
            Invincible Ironing Man
            • Feb 28, 2008

My vote is: take it back to basics: a British team (get Owen out of that power plant, is he still in there?) and smaller, more unusual stand-alone stories.
            I want the old Torchwood back!
            With scones and tea, a base in an abandoned tube station, and a pterodactyl on the ceiling!

This felt like a really bad season of 24...
            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

It looks like they have a new member. But I doubt you'll like who it is.

Comment

• ctc
                Fear the monkeybat!
                • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Having fin ally seen the end....

....and if YOU didn’t, you might want to stop....

.... I hafta say I liked it. It’s not one of the best, but it was decent. Plenty of weird, plenty of horrific Torchwood touches. I think it suffered from being ten episodes long; it COULD have been shorter, and some of it seemed padded. To that end:

-The whole “Dead is Dead” bit could have been removed without changing the story. It was an interesting idea, but it wasn’t worked into the big picture so much, and it comes to an abrupt end.

-They could have scaled back the bits with Oswald Danes. They could possibly have removed him altogether. He seemed there mostly to demonstrate what a brilliant PR person Jill Kitzinger was, thus justifying why the families would pick her as their rep.

There was a lot I did think nifty though:

-I didn’t mind Rex so much. Sure, he seems like a Jack Bauer parody; but I’m okay with that. Possibly since that character has been a staple of durned near every action show I’ve ever seen, so the template is stuck in my skull. I laughed at the end, when I realized that throughout the episode he was afraid Jack was gonna “convert” him.... and ultimately he does. (But not in the way he was afraid of....)

-The end was weird, but I’m okay with that. (If not, I probably wouldn’t have watched the show.) Just what “the blessing” was does make sense, but you really gotta think about it. (And some of that might be me filling in the blanks myself.) It’s essentially a take on the whole “Mother Earth” idea.... but in a twisted, bleak fashion. I like that the entity isn’t completely explained, since there’s no way these characters would ever be able to figure that one out. The only bit they didn’t get into too much that I might have liked finding out was why it went after Jack during the show, and back in the day. I suspect it was a form of curiosity; Jack exists outside the Earth’s biomorphic field, and his blood.... both times.... was weird and different from everyone else.

-Guen’s kinda scary....especially since she’s been becoming more Jack-like, and willing to sacrifice everything for the mission. (TECHNICALLY she’s also the Grim Reaper now.)

-Was it just me; or was Danes MORE frightening AFTER his “redemption?”

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Overall, I enjoyed it but from the onset didn't think the premise deserved 10 episodes.

Not so sure why there is so much hatred for Rex, I thought his character was well done. Torchwood seems more about the characters than the plot sometimes, so it was nice to care about more than Jack and Gwen.

Spoilers:

-I totally saw Rex's "rebirth" coming
                  -PO'd that we won't be getting more John DeLancie on the show
                  -Looks like it's amping up to be a weekly series

-Was it just me; or was Danes MORE frightening AFTER his “redemption?”
                  Did you think it was a redemption? I thought it was a complete reversion.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>Did you think it was a redemption? I thought it was a complete reversion.

Hence my quotes 'cos it's tough to tell. He finally seemed to realize the world involved more than just him, and he was willing to sacrifice himself for the rest of the team, but the little speech while doing it was damned creepy.

Don C.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ctc
                      >
                      Hence my quotes 'cos it's tough to tell. He finally seemed to realize the world involved more than just him, and he was willing to sacrifice himself for the rest of the team, but the little speech while doing it was damned creepy.
                      I see your point, I think it was done to make the audience uneasy with themselves when you sort of "root" for him. It was entirely successful.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

I liked it will enough if I don't give it too much thought... like watching 24. Which I thought they were spoofing, but it actually seems like they were aping the stalling, circular structure. Including all the meandering threads that don't actually pay off very well after all the audience investment.

The story would have benefited with fewer episodes like the previous series. Keep it tight and keep the story moving.

Great performance by Bill Pullman, but the writing just wasn't behind it. I think he had the potential to be a great spoiler character within the Torchwood team if they had kept him around for a more redemptive arc or at least a more complex exploration of someone as mentally ill and disturbed as he was.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• jwyblejr
                          galactic yo-yo
                          • Apr 6, 2006

I think the biggest problem they had with Oswald Danes was all of those ads Starz ran building him up as a major bad guy and then he became like a side note.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Jan 19, 2008

Is the season really over? Ten episodes? That sucks!

Comment

• wolfie
                              Persistent Member
                              • Dec 31, 2007

Ten episodes was ten too many.

No, slightly unfair, but definatly five too many.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎