X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

Next Generation season 1, really bad!

I just watched a few episodes of season 1 of the next generation and must say, boy it was bad.

1. No character development at all. I do not like any of them. All
    worf does is want to fight and Data plays the idiot. Riker has no appeal.

2. The planet sets, VERY bad. They look worse that TOS sets.

3. Wesley is a cry baby plain and simple.

4. Only in season 2 did we start meeting any decent aliens.

5. The captain has zero connection with any of the crew except for the Dr.
  • kryptosmaster
    Removed.
    • Jun 14, 2008

I totally agree. I thought the same thing when it first aired. I wasn't even crazy about the pilot except for the part where they had (an unnamed yet obvious) McCoy as an old man with a beard.
    I didn't even watch it regularly until the second season. I think the costumes look bad and I hate the way Deanna Troi looks in season 1. Plus I just always hated the Ferengi.
    Rich

Comment

• saildog
      Permanent Member
      • Apr 9, 2006

Yep, it was pretty bad in retrospect, but I remember being very happy to have some form of Trek back on TV.

I happen to have a VHS tape labeled "Star Trek: The Next Generation....Encounter at Farpoint" written in my own hand and recorded September 1987. Why I've kept it all these years I don't know...it's just one of the things that survived various purges. I would pop it in and take a look, but I haven't had a VCR since 2000(I think).

Come to think of it, that makes keeping the tape seem kind of illogical, huh?

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
        valar morghulis
        • Mar 8, 2005

Most of season one is unwatchable and cringe-inducing. It's as simple as that.

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Against the grain as usual, but I like the first season.
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Dave Mc
            Administrator
            • Oct 20, 2002

Many TV shows suffer from this same thing. The writers, actors and everyone else involved is still getting to know the characters they created. At this point everyone is a bit flat and stereotyped. Toward the end of Season 1, there were some good episodes. Conspiracy and Neutral Zone come to mind.

Comment

• tay666
              Career Member
              • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by Dave Mc
              Many TV shows suffer from this same thing. The writers, actors and everyone else involved is still getting to know the characters they created. At this point everyone is a bit flat and stereotyped.
              Yeah.
              And sadly the networks don't give shows time to grow and become something great anymore.

Comment

• Captain
                Fighting the good fight!
                • Jun 17, 2001

I agree its a bad season...probably the worst, But at the same time, I can "see" and "feel" more of the flavour of the original series in the first season. I think that got lost as time went on.

It's hard to pin this down a little more accurately, or put it clearer. I dont know if its because so many of the original folks worked on the first season, or if it's due to so much of the pre-work on Phase II was adapted into the original TNG writers guide...The crappy sets maybe...Not sure, but it just feels more like a cousin to the original series. The other seasons, and other series, were more like second cousins.
                "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• ctc
                  Fear the monkeybat!
                  • Aug 16, 2001

>I just watched a few episodes of season 1 of the next generation and must say, boy it was bad.

I agree. I didn't really like the OTHER seasons either though.

>1. No character development at all. I do not like any of them.

This was my biggest problem with the show. The characters were all so dedicated, intellectual and upright I wanted to smack the bunch of them. No development 'cos there was nothing left for them to achieve, really.

>All worf does is want to fight

....and he constantly LOSES! Look at the episode with the little bug thingies; the posessed Admiral takes Worf out with one hit, and had to bounce Riker around for three minutes to take hin out. No wonder the other Klingons were always picking on him.

Don C.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

TNG started getting good when Wesley Crusher was finally yanked...thank God almighty for that...I was getting sick and tired of that little dweeb saving the Enterprise week after week.
                    sigpic

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>TNG started getting good when Wesley Crusher was finally yanked...

Oh, that DEFINITELY helped. Wes was a qunundrum: he's smart enough to rewrite the laws of physics, but had a tough time getting into StarFleet? What kind of requirements do they have? (He must not have met the minimum height.)

But I still didn't like the rest of the crew. Ro was interesting 'cos she was different. And she went away in a hurry. I thought the stories where Troi wanted her comission were pretty good too. Nobody else on that show ever had to work for something. Not that they wanted too, they all just sort of existed; with no plans for the future, no real goals, nothing that drove them except continuing what they were currently doing.

Don C.

Comment

• Meule
                        Verbose Member
                        • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Hector
                        TNG started getting good when Wesley Crusher was finally yanked...thank God almighty for that...I was getting sick and tired of that little dweeb saving the Enterprise week after week.
                        Hear hear
                        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• fallensaviour
                          Talkative Member
                          • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by ctc
                          >I just watched a few episodes of season 1 of the next generation and must say, boy it was bad.

I agree. I didn't really like the OTHER seasons either though.

>1. No character development at all. I do not like any of them.

This was my biggest problem with the show. The characters were all so dedicated, intellectual and upright I wanted to smack the bunch of them. No development 'cos there was nothing left for them to achieve, really.

>All worf does is want to fight

....and he constantly LOSES! Look at the episode with the little bug thingies; the posessed Admiral takes Worf out with one hit, and had to bounce Riker around for three minutes to take hin out. No wonder the other Klingons were always picking on him.

Don C.
                          This sums it up for me to a tee.
                          I just didn't like the next gen at all and I really wanted to.
                          To me it was not really even Trek it was Babylon5'erprise.
                          Not that babylon 5 was bad just not trek.
                          This series would have done better called something completely different.
                          They had ferengi they had borg I mean no real tie to the original at all.Other than a klingon on the bridge....Woo big deal he was just an idiot who never followed orders,had his *** handed to him week after week how he got on the the most elite ship in the fleet is ridiculous!!
                          Data that got old real fast.
                          The first few seasons should have been called Data and Wesley save the universe from everything!!!
                          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
                            Hear hear
                            I like thee.

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by ctc
                              Ro was interesting 'cos she was different. And she went away in a hurry.
                              Actually the producers of TNG wanted her there badly.

Michelle Forbes never wanted a permanent gig there...as a matter of fact...she turned down the female lead role in Deep Space 9...the part then went on to Nana Visitor (Kira Nerys).

Forbes was once again asked to be a regular cast member...this time in Voyager...and again she turned down the role.

Since then...Michelle Forbes has been a very busy actress...while Nana Visitor has practically disappeared.

I guess turning down Star Trek roles is a good thing after all.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎