Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

One of the things I didn't like about Next Generation or ANY new Star Trek series is they're all structured in soap opera fashion ... Meaning there's usually 3-4 stories all going on at once in one particular episode.

Nexy Gen got bad for this as the years went by.

In one story we'll have the main plot with 2-3 uninteresting peripheral subplots and the scenes will flash between them ... The old Star Trek never did this -- The BIG THREE got all the airtime in one main plot.

The peripheral subplot way of storytelling became very popular in the mid 80's and still is going strong today.
    I think because it's easier to write 3 short vignettes than one good story of normal hour length.
    It also gives the non stars something to do.

Me personally, I don't like this way of storytelling ... IMO it degrades the whole show as a whole.
    I don't care about a sub-plot of Worf finding a boil on his behind.
    I don't care about Data searching for his true feelings through painting.
    I don't care about Troi's mother.

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

^^^That's probably the reason STNG apppealed to me and TOS didn't---
      TNG easliy got me "invested" in the characters while TOS was more about a sci-fi type plot and that plot alone.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Mikey01
        One of the things I didn't like about Next Generation or ANY new Star Trek series is they're all structured in soap opera fashion ... Meaning there's usually 3-4 stories all going on at once in one particular episode.

Nexy Gen got bad for this as the years went by.

In one story we'll have the main plot with 2-3 uninteresting peripheral subplots and the scenes will flash between them ... The old Star Trek never did this -- The BIG THREE got all the airtime in one main plot.

The peripheral subplot way of storytelling became very popular in the mid 80's and still is going strong today.
        I think because it's easier to write 3 short vignettes than one good story of normal hour length.
        It also gives the non stars something to do.

Me personally, I don't like this way of storytelling ... IMO it degrades the whole show as a whole.
        I don't care about a sub-plot of Worf finding a boil on his behind.
        I don't care about Data searching for his true feelings through painting.
        I don't care about Troi's mother.

That's the thing I've always said! TOS would have a self contained plot...and would wrap it up by the end of the show. I MUCH prefer this type of story telling. Rather than million little plot threads that go on forever.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎