Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDeRouen
    Author of Small Things
    • Jun 14, 2001

Something that the media continues to ignore is the insane road schedule that WWE assigns to their wrestlers. Sure, they get the occasional day or two off (though more often than not they have to have suffered an injury to get even a week off) but there are no scheduled vacations. It has to wear you down. And Vince McMahon should answer for that, much like Wal-Mart and other corporations has had to answer in the past for the way that they've treated their employees.

All of that said, Chris Benoit had the chance to jump to TNA wrestling, where the schedule (and the money) would have been much lighter. Ultimately, yes, Vince McMahon and the WWE probably played a significant role in causing Benoit to "snap," and that should be dealt with accordingly. But the final blame lies on his (Benoit's) shoulders and his shoulders alone.

I can't even fathom killing a little boy that he professed to love so much, let alone murdering his wife. It's insane. But something pushed him over the edge, and that something, which I'm certain had to deal in large part with his road schedule, concussion syndrome, steroids, or some combination of all three, needs to be identified and isolated so what it never happens again. I do wish the media would ask the "right" questions, rather than just focus on the steroids aspect of it all.

FYI, Sherri Martel and Nancy "Woman" Benoit were apparently very close, so maybe that's also a connection. Maybe Nancy pushed Chris to quit wrestling, or take more time off, or whatever. We may never know.
    --
    Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I just think he was a nut from the start--- .......

Maybe i'm just being naive, but I can't imagine any drug that would make me want to kill anybody for any reason.

I think drugs just overemphasize a persons deep down emotions...

I HOPE they don't make Benoit a drug abuse marter....

He doesn't deserve such GOOD treatment.

He was/is a murder......

Comment

• mitchedwards
        Mego Preservation Society
        • May 2, 2003

Just saw this on Fox News. Makes the whole story that much more bizzare

An anonymous user operating a computer traced to Stamford, Conn. — home to World Wrestling Entertainment — posted an entry to pro wrestler Chris Benoit's biography on Wikipedia.org announcing the death of his wife Nancy about 14 hours before police in suburban Atlanta said they found her body along with her husband's and that of their 7-year-old son, FOXNews.com has learned.

Employees at Wikipedia.com said the posting went live on their site on Monday at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. Police, however, said they found the bodies Monday at 2:30 p.m. EDT.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

Bret Hart was pushing for a union for wrestlers even before Owen's death. It should have happened already, and Vince should be forced to accept it, otherwise he will go around the union and continue to say the WWE's "Wellness" plan is a valid safeguard. It's a joke when wrestlers like Rob Van Dam are suspended for a month for smoking pot (but otherwise is probably the healthiest major wrestler around), but somehow their independent testing rarely if ever finds steroid users. I am wondering whether their "independent" drug testing turns a blind eye to wrestlers who get a doctor's prescription, which is sounds like Benoit might have had. If so, their are hundreds of internet pharmacies that will "prescribe" you just about anything for a buck.

A union is long overdue for these athletes. The independent contractor status of these guys is literally killing the talent in this industry.

Comment

• toys2cool
            Ultimate Mego Warrior
            • Nov 27, 2006

Originally posted by mitchedwards
            Just saw this on Fox News. Makes the whole story that much more bizzare

An anonymous user operating a computer traced to Stamford, Conn. — home to World Wrestling Entertainment — posted an entry to pro wrestler Chris Benoit's biography on Wikipedia.org announcing the death of his wife Nancy about 14 hours before police in suburban Atlanta said they found her body along with her husband's and that of their 7-year-old son, FOXNews.com has learned.

Employees at Wikipedia.com said the posting went live on their site on Monday at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. Police, however, said they found the bodies Monday at 2:30 p.m. EDT.
            wow ! now that's scary news.That means someone else might've known about this and kept there mouths shut
            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Hulk
              Mayor of Megoville
              • May 10, 2003

As I suspected, as the facts come out, the story just gets more and more bizarre. This makes some sense, since WWE wrestlers got the odd text messages before this, and someone probably checked out the property to see what was up. Why in the world that person wouldn't immediately call 911 (instead of WWE Headquarters) is the real mystery.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, just came across this too:

Investigators are looking into who altered pro wrestler Chris Benoit’s Wikipedia entry to mention his wife’s death hours before authorities discovered the bodies of the couple and their 7-year-old son.

Benoit’s Wikipedia entry was altered early Monday to say that the wrestler had missed a match two days earlier because of his wife’s death.

A Wikipedia official, Cary Bass, said Thursday that the entry was made by someone using an Internet protocol address registered in Stamford, Conn., where World Wrestling Entertainment is based.

An IP address, a unique series of numbers carried by every machine connected to the Internet, does not necessarily have to be broadcast from where it is registered. The bodies were found in Benoit’s home in suburban Atlanta, and it’s not known where the posting was sent from, Bass said.

Benoit’s page on Wikipedia, a reference site that allows users to add and edit information, was updated at 12:01 a.m. Monday, about 14 hours before authorities say the bodies were found. The reason he missed a match Saturday night was “stemming from the death of his wife Nancy,” it said.

WWE attorney Jerry McDevitt said that to his knowledge, no one at the WWE knew Nancy Benoit was dead before her body was found Monday afternoon. Text messages released by officials show that messages from Chris Benoit’s cell phone were being sent to co-workers a few hours after the Wikipedia posting.

WWE employees are given WWE e-mail addresses, McDevitt said, though he did not know whether Chris Benoit had one.

“I have no idea who posted this,” McDevitt said. “It’s at least possible Chris may have sent some other text message to someone that we’re unaware of. We don’t know if he did. The phone is in the possession of authorities.”

On Thursday afternoon, the Wikipedia page about Benoit carried a note stating that editing by unregistered or newly registered users was disabled until July 8 because of vandalism.
                Freaky stuff indeed!
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kept back
                  Persistent Member
                  • Aug 2, 2002

someone should do a psa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTRo7YVb_zE
                  Of all the souls I have encountered his was the most...human.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Adam West
                    He was on the Today Show this morning...maybe CBS too, but I did see him being interviewed on the today show. What's up with his voice? Does he have throat cancer or something. I honestly haven't watched wresting for about 20 years so all of these new wrestlers are unfamiliar to me but I remember Vinch McMahon all the way back at the beginning when he was the on air commentator and a pencil neck too!

His responses to questions were a bit odd. He said that Benoit had been tested for Steroids in April and came up negative which seems contradictory to what was posted on this board. They also questioned him about the list of numerous deaths that have occurred to wrestlers over the years before the age of 64 (the list posted here) and he acted like he knew nothing about the list and emphasized that only 5 wrestlers have died while under contract with him. When questioned about allowing a mourning period and stopping wrestling to honor a deceased wrestler, he referred to wrestling as entertainment that makes people smile and that he would not stop a sport temporarily that makes the public smile as though he's doing something noble for the country at large....whatever. Like I said, I don't follow wrestling at all but was a bit turned off by his seeming lack of tact or care about what had just occurred.
                    McMahon is a lying sack of s***.

Originally posted by toys2cool
                    I totally agree with what you're saying,but what i'm trying to say is that these guys are big boys and they know what they are doing,they just want the money and the spotlight,so they really don't stop to care about the consequences ,and for that they deserve the blame as well
                    Yes, the wrestlers are also part to blame (on a smaller scale), they're intimidated and scared to start a union...McMahon could very well fire all of them if they did and start from scratch, but I think that would destroy his company, so IMO, the wrestlers do have a shot if they tried to unionized.

Originally posted by JDeRouen
                    Something that the media continues to ignore is the insane road schedule that WWE assigns to their wrestlers. Sure, they get the occasional day or two off (though more often than not they have to have suffered an injury to get even a week off) but there are no scheduled vacations. It has to wear you down. And Vince McMahon should answer for that, much like Wal-Mart and other corporations has had to answer in the past for the way that they've treated their employees.

All of that said, Chris Benoit had the chance to jump to TNA wrestling, where the schedule (and the money) would have been much lighter. Ultimately, yes, Vince McMahon and the WWE probably played a significant role in causing Benoit to "snap," and that should be dealt with accordingly. But the final blame lies on his (Benoit's) shoulders and his shoulders alone.

I can't even fathom killing a little boy that he professed to love so much, let alone murdering his wife. It's insane. But something pushed him over the edge, and that something, which I'm certain had to deal in large part with his road schedule, concussion syndrome, steroids, or some combination of all three, needs to be identified and isolated so what it never happens again. I do wish the media would ask the "right" questions, rather than just focus on the steroids aspect of it all.

FYI, Sherri Martel and Nancy "Woman" Benoit were apparently very close, so maybe that's also a connection. Maybe Nancy pushed Chris to quit wrestling, or take more time off, or whatever. We may never know.
                    When I talked about wrestlers not being at fault but rather McMahon, I did not mean to include Benoit, no one killed his wife and child but himself, he's the only one to blame on that one.

Originally posted by Hulk
                    Bret Hart was pushing for a union for wrestlers even before Owen's death. It should have happened already, and Vince should be forced to accept it, otherwise he will go around the union and continue to say the WWE's "Wellness" plan is a valid safeguard. It's a joke when wrestlers like Rob Van Dam are suspended for a month for smoking pot (but otherwise is probably the healthiest major wrestler around), but somehow their independent testing rarely if ever finds steroid users. I am wondering whether their "independent" drug testing turns a blind eye to wrestlers who get a doctor's prescription, which is sounds like Benoit might have had. If so, their are hundreds of internet pharmacies that will "prescribe" you just about anything for a buck.

A union is long overdue for these athletes. The independent contractor status of these guys is literally killing the talent in this industry.
                    Well said.
                    Last edited by Hector; Jun 28, '07, 7:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                      Verbose Member
                      • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by Hulk
                      As I suspected, as the facts come out, the story just gets more and more bizarre. This makes some sense, since WWE wrestlers got the odd text messages before this, and someone probably checked out the property to see what was up. Why in the world that person wouldn't immediately call 911 (instead of WWE Headquarters) is the real mystery.
                      Man, this is really getting weirder and weirder. Whoever made that entry on Wikipedia sure is in a whole lotta trouble if they ever find him...
                      14 hours before the cops found the bodies... maybe Benoit was still alive at that point? Makes the fact that they didn't call 911 right away even more mysterious
                      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

That Wikipedia thing is creep to say the least.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Meule
                          Verbose Member
                          • Nov 14, 2004

This started out as a murder/suicide, but where it's gonna end... who knows?

Next thing you know Benoit's suicide will be staged and will turn out to be murder as well...
                          Last edited by Meule; Jun 28, '07, 7:10 PM.
                          "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• toys2cool
                            Ultimate Mego Warrior
                            • Nov 27, 2006

Hey at this point I'm not ruling anything out,who knows maybe someone else was involved in here
                            "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
                            My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• Hulk
                              Mayor of Megoville
                              • May 10, 2003

Originally posted by Meule
                              This started out as a murder/suicide, but where it's gonna end... who knows?

Next thing you know Benoit's suicide will be staged and will turn out to be murder as well...
                              Maybe Pat WAS right

Comment

• mitchedwards
                                Mego Preservation Society
                                • May 2, 2003

I wonder since this is in the spotlight if there will be any government investigations into the work conditions at the WWE?

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎