Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you say was the last Masterpiece Album ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brazoo
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 14, 2009

Just based on my personal taste I usually think there's one or two outstanding albums every year. I think I have a different kind of fondness for music I loved when I was in my teens - but I don't think music used to be better, I think my appreciation for music as a teen was different.

"Classic" in the bigger sense of universal appeal - I don't know. Off the top of my head I think it would be hard to argue that something like Damn by Kendrick Lamar wasn't a classic LP based on impact, acclaim and success, but I guess you need to be 20 or so years away from something to know if it sticks, right?

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Man, this an oldie thread brought back to life by demonic means

Talk about "children shouldn't play with dead things" --- i'm looking at you Bobby Clarke and your buddy Alan Ormsby

Comment

• Brazoo
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 14, 2009

Bowie's last album Blackstar was in 2016. It would be hard for me to see that not being considered a classic 20 years from now - just given his career and ending on such an amazing high point.

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

I loved Blackstar, but have only ever listened to it once. I'm just saddened by the finality of it.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Blackstar indeed will forever be a striking, reference point… and you could add several recent Leonard Cohen albums with such a power, conscious goodbye from this mortal world too.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

Blackstar was definitely a high note to Bowie to have as his final album. very sad to listen to it for me though.

it seems to me that there are really no newer artists that have the staying power or raw talent for an entire album to be considered a masterpiece. but that's just my opinion and I'm an old fart

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Ariel Pink - the king of rock and roni. raa raa raa roniii

Maybe not his best album but a big middle finger to the gate keepers of the music industry, and a testimony to his true musical talent.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎