Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you say was the last Masterpiece Album ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

What would you say was the last Masterpiece Album ?

Anybody who's old enough to know what a Masterpiece Album is knows they just don't happen today.

My question, in YOU'RE opinion what was the last Masterpiece Album ?

Even thought i'm not much of a fan of their work I think i'd pick Nirvana's Nevermind.

Seems like after that everything was about just an individual hit song.

Feel free to disagree and discuss
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

I'm probably going to leave out something that's obvious, but, right now, the last "masterpiece" album that comes to mind is The Gin Blossoms "New Miserable Experience. (1992)"

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Come to think of it, maybe a more obvious choice would be Green Day's "Dookie." (1994) ...and it succeeded the previous album that I mentioned.

I'm not much of a fan of theirs, but that was a very popular album because, as it turns out, it was pretty darn good.

- Ian
      Last edited by EmergencyIan; Sep 4, '14, 2:31 PM.
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Random Axe
        The Voice of Reason
        • Apr 16, 2008

I am totally unqualified to give much of an opinion on the subject since I put a HUGE divide between commercial success and musical success. I also come from a progressive rock/prog metal background so my thoughts are further skewed, but here goes my nonsensical ramblings about masterpieace/perfect albums.

Dream Theater/Images and Words - Simply the best album I've ever heard, nothing even close. It's five Juliard guys getting together and doing their own thing and defining an entire genre for the next 25 years.

Queensryche/Operation Mindcrime - Incredible music, great concept. This is about as good as a rock opera can get.

WHitesnake/self titled - This has a great deal of commercial success along with being just a great rock album. Coverdale and Sykes really hit at the right time, and beginning to end there's not a weak track.

GNR/Appetite for Destruction - I absolutely hated them. I couldn't stand the drunk off yooass, white trash sleaze rock, their image or their subject matter. I liked nothing about them. Now, 25 years later I can appreciate them and understand what the appeal was/is. Their songs were way more subversive than anyone knew and they were far more talented than I ever gave them credit for.

Queen/Night at the Opera - Bombastic, over the top art rock and a totally original formula. It also helps having perhaps the best rock singer ever to live fronting you.

Those are just a few that come to mind. I'll stop displaying my musical ignorance and start reading everyone's lists this afternoon. I hold musicians to a much higher standard so my criteria has a serious learning curve/sliding scale.
        I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• megomania
          Persistent Member
          • Jan 2, 2010

Rumours

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Random Axe
            I am totally unqualified to give much of an opinion on the subject since I put a HUGE divide between commercial success and musical success. I also come from a progressive rock/prog metal background so my thoughts are further skewed, but here goes my nonsensical ramblings about masterpieace/perfect albums.

Dream Theater/Images and Words - Simply the best album I've ever heard, nothing even close. It's five Juliard guys getting together and doing their own thing and defining an entire genre for the next 25 years.

Queensryche/Operation Mindcrime - Incredible music, great concept. This is about as good as a rock opera can get.

WHitesnake/self titled - This has a great deal of commercial success along with being just a great rock album. Coverdale and Sykes really hit at the right time, and beginning to end there's not a weak track.

GNR/Appetite for Destruction - I absolutely hated them. I couldn't stand the drunk off yooass, white trash sleaze rock, their image or their subject matter. I liked nothing about them. Now, 25 years later I can appreciate them and understand what the appeal was/is. Their songs were way more subversive than anyone knew and they were far more talented than I ever gave them credit for.

Queen/Night at the Opera - Bombastic, over the top art rock and a totally original formula. It also helps having perhaps the best rock singer ever to live fronting you.

Those are just a few that come to mind. I'll stop displaying my musical ignorance and start reading everyone's lists this afternoon. I hold musicians to a much higher standard so my criteria has a serious learning curve/sliding scale.
            I am ignoring the question and adding Def Leppard's Hysteria to Axe's list.

Comment

• megoapesnut
              The name says it all!
              • Dec 3, 2007

RUSH - 2112. Nothing else is even CLOSE!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I'd say Nevermind was the last seismic shift in music while I was paying attention. It was the death blow to the hair metal bands, as suddenly those guys looked like cross-dressing clowns. I wasn't a big fan, but the near instant change in what MTV was playing was obvious even at the time. Even though earlier Seattle bands were already making a dent, Nirvana kicked the door down.

Appetite for Destruction was a huge deal. It didn't really shift music as much, but it did make some of the more...theatrical bands look goofy...although Axel had the hairspray going on in the "Welcome to the Jungle" video.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

I'd say Faith No More "Angel Dust".

Geez, it's 22 years old, but I'm having a hard time coming up with one that is more recent.
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                    I'd say Faith No More "Angel Dust".

Geez, it's 22 years old, but I'm having a hard time coming up with one that is more recent.
                    That's my point

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Achtung Baby or American Idiot
                      Last edited by thunderbolt; Sep 4, '14, 4:57 PM.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• stuart
                        Hi-Yo Silver Away!
                        • Jun 18, 2007

I second Achtung Baby!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

while I'm at it, let me throw REM's masterpiece on the pile

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

all good choices but most, if not all of them are over 20 years old. isn't that sad?
                              I am wracking my brain here trying to think of something recent and get nothing...

how about the soundtrack for Guardians of the Galaxy? that's my new favorite!

seriously though, I thought McCartneys "NEW" album was great, but not sure AI would put it in masterpiece category

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎