Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

This is the 1/6 child I purchased to convert to Arnie or young Cornelius. Before and after.
    He just needs more hair around the bottom of his lower jaw...I had to cure the super sculpey in the oven before I could work on him anymore.
    It was quite difficult to add the hair lines and not smush it with the sculpey not being cured. It's great though for fine details. I put a butane flame onto the top of his upper muzzle/nose area to cure that section before I could add the lower jaw, which is why he's got that burn/dark spot on his left nostril.

I tried to cure it at a very low temperature last night, around 170 degrees but the sculpey was crumbly this morning. So I rebaked it at 270 and the sculpey did not burn and feels quite solid now.

Here he is with added hair to his lower muzzle, after baking. I also removed one of the deep lines on his left brow ridge. I thought it was too pronounced.
    Last edited by jessica; Jan 12, '09, 1:12 AM.
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• censy
      thread killer
      • Sep 26, 2007

adorable.

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

Hmm...I am undecided what type of hair looks best. Left or right? I think this is the second face I have done of the same guy. The human looks familiar. Maybe he was my Dr. Milo. I will have to check the older posts. The black stuff around his nostrils are from the pen I was using to round out the nostrils. (too lazy to go upstairs and get real sculpting tools)!!

I'm going to call it a night. I stayed up until 1 AM finishing the chimpanzee kid, and felt horrible all day. I can't work on this guy anymore, because once I start it's hard to stop, and before I know it, it will be 2 am. He is a background gorilla (that fat one you always see getting kicked around on the tv series. I will have to try to dig up my reference photo of him.)

I think this the same guy with different paint!! The one to the right is the human I used for Prefect Barlow.
        Last edited by jessica; Jan 11, '09, 3:23 AM.

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• JediJaida
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 14, 2008

Where did you get the child head from?
          JediJaida

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by JediJaida
            Where did you get the child head from?
            It was a Luke Skywalker 1/6 scale I got on Feebay. It was not more than $20 after shipping/handling. I can't really remember. I got two of them and one was cheaper by $4 than the other.
            Last edited by jessica; Jan 12, '09, 2:40 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
              fortune favors the bold
              • Nov 5, 2007

Here is the background gorilla. I actually had an accident with him today--he was uncured and I was walking around holding him gingerly with my fingers (to not smush him) and he fell a few feet onto the floor and landed on top of his head and had a minor dent on his muzzle. I was able to fix him quickly and decided to just fire him up in the oven.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                fortune favors the bold
                • Nov 5, 2007

I want to compare the first background gorilla and the new background gorilla, just to make sure that they don't really look alike. Try to ignore the ink on gorilla #2's nose and right hairline...

[
                Last edited by jessica; Jan 12, '09, 3:20 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• raider5gt
                  Museum Tree Cutter
                  • Nov 25, 2007

Jessica,they are amazing,great detail,i think you nailed the ape sculpting,you should be proud of your work Truly Awesome!

Can't wait to see them painted and clothed.
                  I think the head is Anakin Skywalker from the 12 inch episode 1 range

Never stand behind a cow when it sneezes.

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

Presenting background gorilla #3. This is how he looked before makeup. I didn't realize that his eyes were uneven. I thought it was a bad paint job. I guess it was an expression. I didn't really look that closely when I picked him out of the human pile. He's currently baking in the oven. I worked on him last night and got halfway through his hair. I combed out the rest of his hair this evening.

Practicing my way towards making a female someday soon. I don't know if I should do Fauna or Carsia. But definitely I have to do Lisa now that Cornelius junior is around.

This is the photo reference I used. I used a little creative license for the sculpt of his hair since it was too blah for me. I am putting the reference photo next to the sculpt's photo so it's easier to compare. I didn't grab every single detail, but I think I captured most of the face in the sculpt. I might remove the lines on his lower muzzle. I keep forgetting only the chimps have those. The PotA gorillas have lines going the other way.
                    Last edited by jessica; Jan 14, '09, 3:01 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

Another gorilla!!

Before makeup, and after, with most of the hair in place. What a creepy looking human!!

I will comb the hair into place for another half hour before retiring for the evening, and then finish it up tomorrow and probably fire it. I really love this super sculpey!! There is no pressure to finish the sculpt in three hours. No waiting for it to cure to the correct consistency to do hair. It's so soft and so much easier to manipulate than Apoxie, and no mixing!! And it's softer than Fimo clay.

His muzzle looks so much wider in the photo than it does in real life. I think I've got the fishbowl effect going on with the camera. I remembered to make the lines of the lower muzzle go in the correct direction. I will also probably add more fluff to the top sides, too, of his hair.

Last edited by jessica; Jan 16, '09, 2:13 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

OMG!! Look how beautifully his hair is combing out!!

To do list:

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                          MeGoing
                          • May 14, 2003

Jessica you are just getting better and better at a rapid rate of knots.

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

I worked on another gorilla today (because I thought the human had the perfect squint anyway for the gorilla). Here he is. I'm going to fire him up tomorrow with Zako (after I finish combing out his hair--I've got about another half hour left of combing, maybe less).

Here are some photos once the overall shape of the hair was in place, and how it looked after I combed it out. If you noticed I tried to remove his smile from the second photograph.

I'm going to bed after I finish watching General Ursus give his brilliant speech. I had Planet of the Apes in the background while I combed out the gorilla hair and I only stopped combing just to study Zira's hair when she was onscreen. I have to figure out how to do Zira's hairline now for my own costume. I think I know what to do, but I want to see what samples Tom and Dan have before I splurge on more hair pieces...since I did buy a $200 wig already.
                            Last edited by jessica; Jan 17, '09, 4:14 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• censy
                              thread killer
                              • Sep 26, 2007

Love the texture you put in their hair.

Chris

Comment

• vulcan2074
                                Live Long and Prosper
                                • Mar 23, 2008

Just Fantastic. I Love the Way all of your Apes come Out
                                Sammy

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎