Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jessica
    fortune favors the bold
    • Nov 5, 2007

It will take me years to learn how to sculpt this way, but where there is a will, there is a way!! Heck, now that there is a great photo reference, I'm going to try it out tonight with Super Sculpey. THe lighting of this shot helps to give further detail that screenshots are not able to capture. I am SOOOOOO excited!! My General Ursus sucks. I'm going to see if a hammer treatment and a re-do of his browridges will give me the angry eyes I am looking for. If not, I am going to try to find a more "angry" face, and then resculpt a new General Ursus over that.

Last edited by jessica; Dec 23, '08, 2:30 PM.
    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• batgirl
      Crime fighter
      • Mar 29, 2007

Jessica you are unbelievable! I cant get over how fast you do your thing!!! Your work is incredible.
      I love the way that you do the noses

Comment

• jessica
        fortune favors the bold
        • Nov 5, 2007

It's been many days since I tried sculpting (guests came for the holidays, so no crafting allowed). Was afraid to see if the magic was still there or not. Took awhile to kick in, and didn't really have too much time to mess with a big lump of Apoxie, so I started small and added more hair to Galen. Thinking about prying off Ursus's eyebrows with pliers instead of going at his head with a hammer....

To do list:
        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance

Comment

• HardyGirl
          Mego Museum's Poster Girl
          • Apr 3, 2007

Girl, I don't know why you think your work sucks! You're so good at this sculpting thing that I hate you!
          "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
          'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
          Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
          If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• jessica
            fortune favors the bold
            • Nov 5, 2007

I could not find a pair of pliers so I went at his eyebrows with my favorite pair of pruning shears.

I decided to whack some of his hair as well with my handy dandy pruning shears. They sliced through the plastic like butter. Oh, the indignity of it all!!

A quick resculpt of angry eyebrows confirmed my fears...that his muzzle and nose would have to go, too:

I was a little aggressive with the pruning shears and accidentally cut his face:

What have I done? What have I done?????

Is there hope for this sculpt????

Perhaps, after lots of massaging. I may re-do the nose. Depends on how I feel when I see it again tonight. I liked the other one before.
            Last edited by jessica; Dec 30, '08, 2:37 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• censy
              thread killer
              • Sep 26, 2007

wow! when are you gonna start painting all these awesome sculpts?

Comment

• jessica
                fortune favors the bold
                • Nov 5, 2007

Someday, Chris. I still have some more ape sculpts locked up in my head I would like to release. And I want to get better with my sculpting and practice makes better. Also, I want to make sure I have a whole heap of them so I can start shrinking them all at the same time. I only count nine so far, and only three of them I am satisfied with (Dr. Honorious, President of the Academy, Virgil).

Looked through my pile of humans last night to see if I could find a very angry face. Check out the scowl on this mug! His vein must have popped out when I was forcibly removing his head from his body. The flecks of white on his face are just bits of Apoxie that came off of my fingers as I twisted away at his head. What is strange is that when I added a brow ridge to the face, the anger of the eyes disappeared. This is just one of the background gorillas, perhaps a Captain. I still need to add a bit more to his lower muzzle to bring it out more.

Last edited by jessica; Dec 31, '08, 3:20 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                  fortune favors the bold
                  • Nov 5, 2007

I thought the third time was the charm, but the nose is not really the way I like it yet. Did I tell you that my metal file is my new best friend?

To do list:

Comment

• apes3978
                    Permanent Member
                    • Nov 19, 2005

Why don't you just turn the one you're having "trouble" with into an alternate gorilla, like a soldier, and start all over with your Ursus?

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

Mike, I'm hard-headed and I want to make it work.

I think that the Ursus I am having difficulty with is one of those cheapie heads that aren't really 1/6 scale. The eyes are really large compared to my other figures. Once I am done with the sculpt, I think I would need to shrink it a little bit.

Last edited by jessica; Dec 31, '08, 2:11 PM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

Here is one of my ongoing projects...Dr. Maximus. I added more hair around his chin thereby creating a smaller looking muzzle. I will probably add another thin layer and make it smaller still. The only thing left then would be to finish the back side of his head with hair.

If you remember, this is how he was:
                        Last edited by jessica; Jan 2, '09, 2:03 AM.

To do list:

Comment

• jessica
                          fortune favors the bold
                          • Nov 5, 2007

Ursus with a new nose job (his fourth)!

Added more hair to Dr. Milo and it looks like I will have to file down the left side of his head because the hair on that side got too thick especially towards the bottom...and I still have to fluff up the right side of his hair just a little bit.

This is going to be a Prefect...can't recall his name.

Background gorilla:

The five sculpts I worked on tonight: (an orangutan, two gorillas and two chimps)

To do list:

Comment

• censy
                            thread killer
                            • Sep 26, 2007

I’ll have a large mug of apes please!

Chris

Comment

• vulcan2074
                              Live Long and Prosper
                              • Mar 23, 2008

Your a one Person Ape Factory. Super Awesome!
                              Sammy

Comment

• jessica
                                fortune favors the bold
                                • Nov 5, 2007

When I started customizing about a year ago, I never dreamed it possible to populate Ape City beyond what Mego produced. Now, the possibilities are endless for me. I didn't realize that scultping could be so fun and so satisfying. It's something I look forward to after slogging at the saltmines.

To do list:

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎