Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMCE: Don't let the exclusives ruin this.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

The only way this will be a big deal is if demand outweighs supply. And that could happen with any of these assortments, and is really hard to predict. If supply is OK, you go to a website and make an order. If not, prepare to be scalped. I'm not worried. Once Kahn is tooled, I bet he'll come around again in a different outfit if the Exclusive version sells through. Just like if Kirk sells out from the regular assortment, sooner or later he'll be back in a reorder or a sweet olive belly shirt. I have faith.

Comment

• megocrazy
      Museum Trouble Maker
      • Feb 18, 2007

I have to agree with Steve. EMCE is only the producer of the figures. Diamond is the company that holds the license. If they choose to offer company exclusives it's their call. EMCE would be stupid to not make them and they don't control the price they're sold at either. I wouldn't think Diamond has any call on what the retail is either. That should be at the discretion of Planet X or whoever is paying the final bill for the run. I agree once the tooling is done Kahn may show up at a later date in a different assortment. Either way there is no doubt that we are at least seeing newly made figures in the style of Mego once again. They may be high priced exclusives for the start, but it is definately showing a resurge in the population of collectors. More new members are popping up on a regular basis, and as much as I hate to see it people are paying an incredible price for MM cards on ebay. The prices on all figures are up but mostly on the ones that most long time collectors consider common. I constantly see nice Spideys selling in the $20.00 range where as soon as 18-24 months ago they could be had for $10-$12. Starsky and Hutch, Dukes, Waltons. I watch lots of suits that I don't think even Derek could make usable sell for good money. Even loose body assortments are averaging $7-$9 a body where I would never pay above $5 when buying before. In the long run I still believe as I did before the EMCE offerings as well as the new Cap. Action will increase the amount of collectors in the hobby. I believe we will see even bigger and better than Trek and Apes. The Phantom may only be the start of super heroes being produced. We may never see DC or Marvel but I do believe we'll see more.
      It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
        valar morghulis
        • Mar 8, 2005

I'm not the least bit worried about it. It's possible that the figure will be available on the Hastings website. It's possible that it'll be on ebgames and gamestop's websites, since Planet X is under their umbrella. It's possible that internet toy dealers like New Force and EE will have it, as they've bought basically EVERY various DST Trek exclusive wholesale from the exclusive holders and then offered them up on their sites for either cost or a marginal price increase.

It's just too early to be worrying about doom and gloom.

Comment

• Hulk
          Mayor of Megoville
          • May 10, 2003

As long as the figure is available on the internet from at least one of the exclusive sellers, then I'm cool with it. I can make my choice to buy it based on their selling price. They were willing to pony up the money to make this figure when Diamond was not. That is the situation in a nutshell. Diamond passed on taking the risk, these two sellers stepped up and made it happen, and there will be less of them available at what will likely be a higher cost. At least we have the option.

The likely run of these figures will probably be more than the entire Museum membership, and probably 10 times what the active Mego collecting community will support. Most of these will go to Trek collectors. We just have to make sure we are in at the beginning so we don't get priced out of the market by scalpers.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
            Pat Troughton in disguise
            • Nov 21, 2007

Say NO to chase and exclusive figures....
            ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• txteach
              Banned
              • Jun 17, 2005

I just hope they learn from history (playmates trek line) and don't screw their core base to please a few. Like paul said it's supply and demand. I sure hope their supply keeps up with the demand.

Comment

• hobub
                Ghost of a Dead Indian
                • Jun 18, 2001

If the supply is flooded with Romulans, Andorians and Mugatos, as well, for that mater, as SI's, RCB's, and RMR's, the same should be likewise done with any original that is produced.

Otherwise the demand of the some of Mego's rarest antique grail figures has been taken to make way for new grail figures that will command top dollar. Creating such a demand for a figure banked soley on the estimated popularity of such a figure, then releasing it in limited supply will just cause bidding wars that were otherwise reserved for rare antique Mego figures which no longer exist because the purists do not have to compete with those who will settle for high quality exact reproductions (And I can't really blame them if the quality is there).

This hasn't happened in the numismatic community because the rare coins that were reproduced were not done so (exactly) plus they do not have the historical significance of the originals that actually existed while history was being written. Plus repro'd coins aren't made of the quality material that the original ones had. But with toys, it has a great deal to do with the aesthetic value of the figure and popularity of who is represented.

I, for one, will be on the bandwagon with the community to try to get these original figures but I can't help but feel sorry for the unfortunate ones who may be having to pay through the nose to get something that retails for $17.99 just months prior. I guess we will just have to wait to see.

But to me, that is the true meaning of the word "Chase", right or wrong.
                Last edited by hobub; Feb 13, '08, 6:30 PM.

Comment

• hobub
                  Ghost of a Dead Indian
                  • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by Hulk
                  As long as the figure is available on the internet from at least one of the exclusive sellers, then I'm cool with it. I can make my choice to buy it based on their selling price. They were willing to pony up the money to make this figure when Diamond was not. That is the situation in a nutshell. Diamond passed on taking the risk, these two sellers stepped up and made it happen, and there will be less of them available at what will likely be a higher cost. At least we have the option.

The likely run of these figures will probably be more than the entire Museum membership, and probably 10 times what the active Mego collecting community will support. Most of these will go to Trek collectors. We just have to make sure we are in at the beginning so we don't get priced out of the market by scalpers.

Then what we should do is try to get together before they come out and put the money up front, like we did with the Ralph figure. I will depend upon someone to help me out because neither of these two outlets exist in the state of Ohio. Nor what I could find within the Tri-state are of OH, PA, WV.

Comment

• hobub
                    Ghost of a Dead Indian
                    • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by palitoy
                    I have every confidence I'll be able to get one of these for retail. I just think with all the networking here we'll take care of each other.
                    Exactly.

Comment

• mars396
                      Museum Super Collector
                      • Sep 14, 2007

you can add me to any Khan pool that is forming.
                      We don't have either of those stores in NJ.

Comment

• jessica
                        fortune favors the bold
                        • Nov 5, 2007

Originally posted by mars396
                        you can add me to any Khan pool that is forming.
                        We don't have either of those stores in NJ.
                        Count me in for a Khan pool. I love the outfit posted here from the latest Star Trek convention and I must customize that one.
                        Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                        Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                        1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                        1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• hobub
                          Ghost of a Dead Indian
                          • Jun 18, 2001

Originally posted by jessica
                          Count me in for a Khan pool. I love the outfit posted here from the latest Star Trek convention and I must customize that one.
                          What we need to do is get together with Paul Claire or Joe D., or someone who can act on our behalf, collect money and do as Paul Clark says, by conctacting these outlets and let them know how many will be needed. I'm sure that if the orders are not cemented yet, they will work with a bulk request order.

Can anyone who is close to one of these outlets help out? I know Joe D. mentioned something like this in another thread somewhere.

Len

Comment

• noelani72
                            27inaleon
                            • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by hobub
                            What we need to do is get together with Paul Claire or Joe D., or someone who can act on our behalf, collect money and do as Paul Clark says, by conctacting these outlets and let them know how many will be needed. I'm sure that if the orders are not cemented yet, they will work with a bulk request order.

Can anyone who is close to one of these outlets help out? I know Joe D. mentioned something like this in another thread somewhere.

Len
                            I'd be in for that. At least i can tell my state of mind..."It's a pre-order, it's a pre-order" hahaha

Comment

• Hulk
                              Mayor of Megoville
                              • May 10, 2003

I have been making inquiries, but I am still working on getting in touch with the right contacts at either of these two sellers. If I get anywhere, I will announce it here, but I do not expect any news anytime soon.

Please do not PM me about them, right now I am in no better shape to get them than anyone else (although they have a couple of stores in Arizona, and I will drive 90 miles for a few cases). If I can get them, I will share with the boards, and with Joe D. to help arrange a larger buy if we can.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                                valar morghulis
                                • Mar 8, 2005

I emailed Rick at New Force today, and he assures me he is working to secure a significant allotment wholesale, which he will then offer up on his site. It's not a done deal yet, but if you know Rick, I'm 99% sure he'll get it done. No internet toy dealer has been a stronger supporter of Star Trek action figures for the last 10 years than New Force.

Khan was supposed to be a New Force exclusive after all, but there was a prototype shipping problem and some miscommunications, which resulted in them losing the opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎