Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

I kind of fear that BBP went for so many licenses at once, that several falter because of that.
    At some point in time, it was one license after another, and that could have affected the production process.
    Too many horses in the same race...
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• jonwes
      Museum Patron
      • Nov 17, 2011

I don't know about that. Obviously, on the outside looking in it's hard to know, but if there's anything I've learned it's that its easy to make wrong assumptions. From everything we've heard from BBP, it seems like a lot of delays were more about trying to capture enough orders rather than production issues. The thing is, a company can take on a ton of licenses and manage them just fine. They just use multiple vendors and put more staff in place (if needed) to manage the process.

I think, if BSG (and maybe retro 8'' figures in general) aren't going as well as people would like there's one reason for it, and it's one we as collectors don't like to face.

There just might not be a market for all these properties. I mean, I've gotten frustrated by the delays. And I do think it hurts in the long run. People get bored with collecting them or frustrated. But I understand the thinking behind it, too, if they ordered up on the first wave and they still have not sold through. I see a ton of resistance from casual collectors in regards to retro figures. They just don't get it, and they don't like the style. Factor that in with some properties whose fans are perhaps dwindling, and the truth is maybe there's just not enough people willing to buy these to make it profitable enough to continue.

I guess we'll find out. I'd love it if the lack of proto really was just about space at the booth and they wanted to push their BBT and 3.75'' lines. Again, it's probably best not to read TOO much into it, yet. I would like to say, for the record, I'd buy the crap out of a Classic BSG 3.75'' line ala their Twilight Zone line.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

I do realize that we must not overestimate the appeal of retro 8", we are a small group in a niche market.
        We might think we are many, but we're not that numerous.
        There's a thread here asking "who wants Doctor WHO BBP to continue?", and I think 20 people said "yes". That is not a lot.

But I feel that there are multiple reason for something like retro BSG 8" to (possibly) falter.
        Not just the slow pace.
        For example: when I see the Athena and Baltar prototypes, I (the buyer) am not convinced. I do know they are prototypes, but the sculpt is so far off, that I won't pre-order. When I don't commit, shops won't commit and won't pre-order either.
        It's a domino effect. That prototype needs to convince us to buy. When I look at the Baltar one, I didn't even recognize him as being a BSG character.
        And we know it is possible to sculpt convincingly.
        Just look at the Phantom sculpt for EMCE Monsters, to name but one.

I'm really trying to stay with BBP. I have bought the first four BSG (but not the tin tote, I just cannot buy that Daggit or Boxey), all the Who figures and Tardis, SMDM. I support the company.
        But for me, there are too many things wrong with the BSG product. I had hoped that things would improve (that is why I did buy the first four), but I don't see that happening the way things are going.

But that's just me. The headsculpts, the ill-fitting outfits and the slow release schedule have made me stop buying BSG.
        I really hope it all goes well and things pick up, though.
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

I think its also worth mentioning that the Mego-style figure is no longer the novelty it was maybe six or seven years ago, when ANY company making a figure that resembled a Mego was championed. It's exploded into a fairly large selection of characters these days that offer an insane amount of choices to the Mego consumer. So while it remains a niche market, it is not limited in scope. And with each new line, quality has become a key player in that equation. I also agree with Gorn that prototypes need to be improved so there is a reasonable expectation of the product upon delivery. Just being a fan of the series isn't enough. And having helmets cover the sculpts does not exactly provide the kind of display needed to make an informed decision. So I can certainly understand the reluctance of some to commit. This is an ever evolving industry. Look at how much FTC has changed in a year's time? Awareness of current standards in the marketplace makes a difference. And while I certainly understand the business need for pre-orders, I do think the waiting period on those should probably get a little more aggressive. Too much time spent trying to gauge demand can also stagnate interest for those who committed early. So it's certainly a blade that cuts both ways.
          Last edited by MIB41; Feb 20, '14, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• samurainoir
            Eloquent Member
            • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by MIB41
            That's proof positive of Jason's love and commitment to the series.
            We should give credit to BOTH Jason's, given that there are two of them. I believe Labowitz is kind enough to be a straight shooter 'round these here parts, and Lenzi often expresses his Mego love on such podcasts as Geek Shal Inherit and a little monthly thing they call Pod Stallions.
            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• BifBangPow! JLabs
              Career Member
              • Dec 21, 2009

Originally posted by Harbingerboy
              Just got back from Toy Fair and was incredibly disappointed with BBP's Battlestar showing. Going into the show I was most excited to see the evolution of BBP's 8" retro BSG prototypes since SDCC. Over six months has passed, surely we'd see near final Athena (sans helmet) and Lucifer...updated Tigh in correct uniform, Baltar with normal sized head, Boomer and Imperious Leader all with solicit dates...perhaps a Sheba prototype to go with that SPECTACULAR Ovion!

I can't explain what a let down it was to see not only the same Lucifer and Athena protos we've been shown before, but even LESS figures than SDCC with no sight whatsoever of the protos we've been shown for the last year. It seemed pretty clear from this (as well as their 8" Twilight Zone and Venture Bros. showings) that BSG is going the way of Doctor Who. When I asked about the lack of BSG protos I got conflicting responses from the sales reps but was told in both cases Jason would be able to answer but was in a meeting.
              Thanks for coming by at Toy Fair. Sorry that we didn't get to connect in person. Doctor Who is a different story than BSG and SMDM. With Doctor Who, we ran out of time. With the other lines, we ran out of customers. We haven't intentionally delayed the release of these lines. We were allowing customer interest to build so that we could bring them to market. I understand the chicken and egg argument about this tactic. And while I completely understand the buyer side of the equation, the bottom line is that we will not tool and bring a line to market if it will be at a loss. Yes, we can agree that our sculpts and clothing needs to improve. But that's an adjustment we make to our lines during final production - and we've shown recent examples of this. Stay tuned shortly for a new thread by me stating exactly what is going into production now, along with future plans for our 8-inch figures.
              Co-founder, BifBangPow!
              bifbangpow.com
              twitter.com/bifbangpow

Comment

• BifBangPow! JLabs
                Career Member
                • Dec 21, 2009

Originally posted by samurainoir
                We should give credit to BOTH Jason's, given that there are two of them. I believe Labowitz is kind enough to be a straight shooter 'round these here parts, and Lenzi often expresses his Mego love on such podcasts as Geek Shal Inherit and a little monthly thing they call Pod Stallions.
                Many thanks for this. Ask a question, I will answer it to the best of my knowledge, and I will tell you if we just can't talk about something due to licensor or other business reasons.
                Co-founder, BifBangPow!
                bifbangpow.com
                twitter.com/bifbangpow

Comment

• drogge
                  Career Member
                  • Jul 24, 2009

New thread

Originally posted by BifBangPow! JLabs
                  Thanks for coming by at Toy Fair. Sorry that we didn't get to connect in person. Doctor Who is a different story than BSG and SMDM. With Doctor Who, we ran out of time. With the other lines, we ran out of customers. We haven't intentionally delayed the release of these lines. We were allowing customer interest to build so that we could bring them to market. I understand the chicken and egg argument about this tactic. And while I completely understand the buyer side of the equation, the bottom line is that we will not tool and bring a line to market if it will be at a loss. Yes, we can agree that our sculpts and clothing needs to improve. But that's an adjustment we make to our lines during final production - and we've shown recent examples of this. Stay tuned shortly for a new thread by me stating exactly what is going into production now, along with future plans for our 8-inch figures.
                  I look forward to this thread, it is a bit disjointing to see prototypes not come to production. With one hand I can't wait to see the prototypes, on the other hand it's disappointing to see them cancelled.

Comment

• Harbingerboy
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 18, 2007

Ditto, thanks so much for chiming in Jason!

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 22, 2011

I think the SMDM and Galactica lines would have sold better and attracted more interest from collectors if not for the big heads on some of the figures right out of the gate. I love the figures and can live with the loose costumes if the head size could be corrected. I am anxious to read what Jason has to say in his thread about future plans. Thanks for the communication Jason.

Comment

• UnderdogDJLSW
                        To Fear is Not Logical...
                        • Feb 17, 2008

I hope that the Galactica line does go for a few more characters, at least. If Athena and Lucifer can come to fruition and at least Boomer and one other character would make me happy. I wish there was more interest in these.
                        It's all good!

Comment

• Harbingerboy
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 18, 2007

Yeah, I definitely have Athena & Lucifer on pre-order even though I'm less than thrilled with Athena's current eye color, should be very light blue. Her hair looked great at Toy Fair though, and it's hard to tell from the helmet and basic paint but I think the sculpt is there in the lips, nose and cheekbones, but her brows definitely start too high. I also wish she were in her Core Command uniform rather than Viper Pilot, but beggars can't be choosers.

I'm gonna be heartbroken if we don't at least get Baltar, Boomer & Tigh. ...But that Ovion ugh OMG so cool!!

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

I guess it's time to start voting with our $$$ if we want the line to continue...

Buy Battlestar Galactica Lucifer and Lt. Athena Action Figures at Entertainment Earth. Mint Condition Guaranteed. FREE SHIPPING on eligible purchases. Shop now!
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Harbingerboy
                              Career Member
                              • Jun 18, 2007

Originally posted by samurainoir
                              I guess it's time to start voting with our $$$ if we want the line to continue...

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/pr...d=ME-002202116
                              Agreed...but how are we supposed to continue to vote with our wallets if BBP doesn't even solicit Boomer/Baltar, Imperious Leader/Tigh, Sheba/Ovion?

Comment

• Wise4671
                                Banned
                                • Aug 11, 2007

I've had these on pre order since they started taking the pre order for them. I was really hoping we would have this wave and at least 2 others by now.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎