Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toys R Us has dropped the ball, seriously....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timothy2251
    Jerks beef with Ten Bears
    • Mar 15, 2008

I was fortunate enough to see the first three waves at the Toys R Us stores in my neck of the woods (after I'd ordered 'em online, of course), plus the local comic shop has (still!) all the waves and some of the MattyCollector figures (bit of a mark-up, of course). Didn't see the fourth wave hit TRU at all.
    "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• nvmbrsdoom5
      Persistent Member
      • Mar 1, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      Another problem is Mattel's pack-out ratios. It is what killed the 2002 MOTU line and what has damaged most of the DC lines since Mattel got the license. Way too many villains were packed in the cases. For completests, it's great. But at $20 a pop, a lot of folks opted only to get the heroes. This left Lex and Sinestro clogging up the shelves. Then TRUs would pass over new assortments due to this.

Why they can't learn from their mistakes, I'll never understand. You would think all of those orange glow Skeletors would have taught them something.

Chris
      They never do seem to learn, that's true The Supermans and Batmans, and even to a slightly lesser degree the Aquamans and Green Lanterns, all pretty much flew off the shelves around here. The kids know these characters, and the adults do too and have stronger sentimental attachment to those than a Lex or Sinestro, which are mainly there for the collector guys like us here at MM. They could've seriously limited the villians' packing ratio to avoid so many labouring on the pegs for all this time. It's funny how in the past with other toy lines, I'd complain about "too many Batman figure variants", and now with this line I complained that I couldn't find a Batman period! lol

To their credit though, I think the way they chose characters and how they packed them was geared towards adult collectors and banking more on that, which was nice at the start, but it just backfired in the end.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
        WANTED for card bending
        • Apr 26, 2008

If i recall correctly, Toys R us had the say on case assortments. they could have ordered only more Supes and Bats only had they wanted to.

Comment

• bondtoddbond
          Mego Museum Super Spy
          • Aug 14, 2009

I agree on this thread 100%. If this was a WalMart type store item, I think the sales could have been different. I stopped at my local TRU yesterday for a wasted look. Luthor and Sinestro at full price. My local comic store has a few of the later wave figures in stock at $26. I know that's just how they have to price them. My local TRU store got the first 2 waves only. It seems that my TRU gets figures in and then anything after Christmas never comes in due to inventory and what not. I enjoyed the line, glad it got made and I got the figures I felt I had to have regardless.
          sigpic "It's like you're unravelling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

Comment

• jacoblb
            Persistent Member
            • May 7, 2009

I was at TRU today. Only a couple Lex and Sinestro's on the shelf. As for the Venture Bros. I saw 3 Brock figures and 2 Monarch figures and 1 Dean. Half of them were open and taped back up, except Dean. On clearance. Lots of GL stuff there and Captain America, but I just can't believe the prices on the toys in the store and how little product the store I went to sells. How does TRU stay in business? Hardly anyone shopping too.

Comment

• GoldBlade6
              Museum Super Collector
              • Dec 30, 2007

In eastern MA, TRU and TRU Express got in Wave 1. Some TRU Express stores got Wave 2, but I never saw any at a TRU. One TRU got Wave 3, sold through several cases, and never got any more RA figures in. I own Wave 4, but have never seen it in any store. These even sold out at TJ Maxx! From all accounts, Lex and Sinestro were the only peg warmers and only at a few stores. I just don't understand how anyone perceived this line to not sell well. They came and went and never came again wherever they were carried.

Comment

• megalomaniac001
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 24, 2009

What I find odd is that Superman and Green Lantern RA's never lasted more than a week at my local TRU. The case assortment WAS the problem. Too many Lex's & Sinestro's period. How many Superman & GL figures could they have sold? Why couldn't Mattel have recalled the Lex's and Sinestro's shipped them to TJ Maxx and sent wave two to TRU to see how it would do?

Comment

• The Batman Professor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 15, 2010

It's really disgusting how badly this was handled on both ends (matty/TRU.)
                  sigpicSWEAR TO ME!

Comment

• MEMEGO
                    Career Member
                    • Sep 6, 2007

I do so agree Batman Professor, I so agree.

Comment

• MEGO_SUPERMAN
                      Say No To Kryptonite!
                      • May 9, 2011

It is strange. I would pack the cases heavy with popular characters....not bad guys.....dont know what they were thinking....
                      Truth, Justice and Megos THAT is the American Way!

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan! - Ron Burgundy KVWN Channel 4 News Team

A picture is worth a thousand words. A Chuck Norris is worth 1 billion words. - Chuck Norris

You know what? I can already tell that I don't like you. And I'm probably not gonna like you no matter how many pull-ups or push-ups you do. All right, anybody who wants to pick on anybody in class, aim for him, 'cause I'm not watchin'. -Kenny Powers

Comment

• Spyweb007
                        Persistent Member
                        • Apr 18, 2006

I believe Toys R Us, which is essentially a huge specialty store, is too large for it's own good in today's economy. They try to cater to everyone, and as the "World's Largest Toy Store" they want to be the experts on toys and family fun, but are run by a corporate office which doesn't trust it's employees to make any decisions. Everything from what the store receives in stock and frequency of deliveries to employee scheduling is calculated by computer, this is why when you ask about a new item or when something will be in stock they really have no idea, and say to check back whenever the next truck is due.

This type of environment doesn't inspire the employees to learn about new items and trends in their own business because in the end they are just there to put stuff on the shelves and collect the customers money. I worked there for many years, and that type of environment is just not the right one to choose to help grow a new toy line, and it's unfortunate because I don't know that there are any better options out there.

Comment

• Teemu
                          Persistent Member
                          • Dec 15, 2010

Originally posted by Spyweb007
                          I believe Toys R Us, which is essentially a huge specialty store, is too large for it's own good in today's economy. They try to cater to everyone, and as the "World's Largest Toy Store" they want to be the experts on toys and family fun, but are run by a corporate office which doesn't trust it's employees to make any decisions. Everything from what the store receives in stock and frequency of deliveries to employee scheduling is calculated by computer, this is why when you ask about a new item or when something will be in stock they really have no idea, and say to check back whenever the next truck is due.

This type of environment doesn't inspire the employees to learn about new items and trends in their own business because in the end they are just there to put stuff on the shelves and collect the customers money. I worked there for many years, and that type of environment is just not the right one to choose to help grow a new toy line, and it's unfortunate because I don't know that there are any better options out there.
                          Good post! lots of truth there from being a former toy store manager myself

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎