X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasonmego1277
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 9, 2008

Originally posted by EMCEtoys
    Okay, now I can finally talk about this one. My first MEGO was a Shazam, and by the time I got it, I had already devoured all the new (at the time) DC stuff, the classic reprints, and a super-8 version of the old serial, as well as issue #101 of Famous Monsters with a color painted version of Cap on the cover. Captain Marvel (there, I said it), was my favorite superhero.

That said, I always thought the toy was lacking. The yellow cape and peel-away emblem were copouts, I always thought.

A few years later, my cousins, who were not well off, were visiting and playing with my MEGOs. They liked Cap in particular. I wanted to get one for them for Christmas later that year, but by then they were all gone.

So I made one. Out of sewn together construction paper stuffed with cotton batting. But I added the button flap and gave him a white cape with the frogs in the right place. Trimmed his sideburns. Blew out his eyebrows. My cousins loved it, but in my heart I wish I could have made a real Captain Marvel figure out of plastic and cloth. In retrospect, of course, I probably could have, but toys were things that "came from real companies", certainly not something a 12 year old kid could make at home.

So, when faced with the next wave, we knew it was time to do Cap right. You've all heard Paul talk about how doing these figures is a dream come true for him, but this one was mine. I know people think of me as the "business guy" in the group at EMCE, but this one was all heart.

Glad you all like the prototype. I can't wait to see them out in production, once again cleaning up an old MEGO "almost".

Cheers,

J
    Great story , and glad you have fulfilled a dream with Cap, Between yourself and Paul see great things , and these waves are prime examples . There is tremendous detail on all these , and not an overwhelming amount to take away from what Mego's are. Joe you and paul are doing awesome , please keep it up as we will look to see future lines and even this one showing a lot of hard work ! Thanks again !
    In The " Real World " Vampires Do Not Sparkle. They Burn In the Sun !

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131475...57650995605142

Comment

• HardyGirl
      Mego Museum's Poster Girl
      • Apr 3, 2007

Shazam looks pretty good!
      "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
      'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
      Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
      If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

As a devotee of the Big Red Cheese, I'm thrillled by his retro-appearance.

I was hoping for Sivana--let's face it, he's a much more challenging custom than Black Adam.

But this wave looks great, and Adam probably has better shelf-appeal.

(Here come a bunch of Namors, I suspect!)
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• bondtoddbond
          Mego Museum Super Spy
          • Aug 14, 2009

They look great, have there been photos of Wave 3 that I've missed? Never mind, I just spotted them above, duh!
          Last edited by bondtoddbond; Jul 23, '10, 5:01 PM.
          sigpic "It's like you're unravelling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

Comment

• Riffster
            Atomic batteries to power
            • Jun 29, 2008

no Robin yet? I can't wait for Shazam I'll be buying 2 of him
            Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
            And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• Meule
              Verbose Member
              • Nov 14, 2004

I like everything I see, except the Sinestro variant

I know it's an exclusive (which I hate BTW), but this is ridiculous, releasing them so close together. They couldn't come up with another figure?
              "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Ivaniski
                Persistent Member
                • Jun 24, 2007

SHAZAM! retro Action

I love them all, and will buy them as they are released. I just wish they could Re-do the Green Lantern again.....That particular head was not on scale with the body. Even if it's an exclusive at Matty.com.

Comment

• shazam7208
                  Career Member
                  • Oct 28, 2008

Really glad to see the prototypes of Shazam and Black Adam (glad they are going with him!). These look great! I am somewhat surprised that they are going with Darkseid and Martian Manhunter, I would have expected some other characters before these. Anyway they all look great...nice job!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Shazam (Cap) and Black Adam are great looking figures. Personally, I think the yellow fits the retro theme better, and the Mego time period, especially since yellow was used on the TV show. But I think Alex Ross has redefined Captain Marvel's look as red and gold for all time.

I'm kind of sick of Black Adam, but I used to really dig him before he was in every 3rd issue of every DC comic, so having a Mego-like of him will be cool.

J'onn and Darkseid are interesting choices. Almost as if Mego hadn't went bankrupt, and developed the Super Powers line for DC.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

I prefer yellow but that's a DC style guide decision and not Mattel, I'm glad that's my only gripe. I've wanted an 8" Black Adam for 25 years, so this one kind of rocks my world.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

I love the Captain Marvel interpretation and I think it will be a big hit. Nice to see the character finally done justice in the Mego scale. Job well done J.

Comment

• megalomaniac001
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 24, 2009

I like these. I am thinking that all of these are going to get Zica bodies. Except Darkseid. I heard somewhere he may be a standard figure with a padded suit. If so, I would love to see how it would work on one of Doc's new large bodies.

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

Scott's pics. On closer look, his face is quite cartoony compared to the Mego. I was kind of hoping for more of the squint. Looks like it can be "fixed" to my liking by painting it in.

This is certainly an old school Black Adam!

The costume is great. Looks like they got the cape right.

Last edited by ScottA; Jul 24, '10, 12:03 AM.
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Namor custom anyone? Vulcan or Romulan perhaps?

Comment

• samurainoir
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Dec 26, 2006

One thing I'm really happy about is the fact that they didn't mix and match the comic book yellow and the gold.

Whether they go all gold or all yellow, I would prefer consistency on the figure.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎