Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megospidey
    Museum Webslinger
    • Jul 26, 2006

note to self: go invest in ALL long q-tip companies right now!

Comment

• Lynn TXP 0369
      Career Member
      • Jun 10, 2007

Originally posted by Megospidey
      note to self: go invest in ALL long q-tip companies right now!
      I would get them off the cards ASAP.
      Mine have tiny flat spots on the noses where they were touching the bubbles.

Mattel has some figuring out what to do as to what happened to these before they get another wave out.

This could doom this line before it starts.

Lynn
      Last edited by Lynn TXP 0369; Mar 15, '10, 8:46 PM.

Comment

• bizzaro megomauler
        WANTED for card bending
        • Apr 26, 2008

OK When i got my figs they were minty mint, I took them off the card and displayed them, I went back to the EMPTY PACKAGE BUBBLES and there's sweat inside! May be the Bubbles, and nothing to do with the figs

Comment

• saildog
          Permanent Member
          • Apr 9, 2006

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369
          Originally posted by bizzaro megomauler
          OK When i got my figs they were minty mint, I took them off the card and displayed them, I went back to the EMPTY PACKAGE BUBBLES and there's sweat inside! May be the Bubbles, and nothing to do with the figs
          These two quotes sum up my observations, as well.

Comment

• Harbingerboy
            Career Member
            • Jun 18, 2007

All of mine have this, both sets of wave one and Green Arrow as well. The other two sets I saw at TRU also have this, every single one. Some have the runny streaks, others look as if the figure sneezed inside the plastic. :(

Comment

• Megospidey
              Museum Webslinger
              • Jul 26, 2006

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369

Mattel has some figuring out what to do as to what happened to these before they get another wave out.

This could doom this line before it starts.

Lynn
              yeah...I was being sarcastic. I don't own any of them. More of a Marvel guy myself

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                Formerly known as Del
                • Dec 12, 2004

I can't get to my Green Arrow to check right now, but it looks like my Sinestro has the starts of this. I don't want to open mine - I only started buying characters that Mego released so I could have them on card.
                Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• geoffdude
                  Banned
                  • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by del
                  I can't get to my Green Arrow to check right now, but it looks like my Sinestro has the starts of this. I don't want to open mine - I only started buying characters that Mego released so I could have them on card.
                  I think you mean EMCE/Mattel released, MEGO is out of business. (Or, maybe you meant original MEGOs.. )

I'm with you though, as are many others here too. I was going to buy two sets, one to open, one to keep sealed. Now I don't know what to do.. man, I was really looking forward to these too.

What is it with Mattel these days? Seriously.

Last edited by geoffdude; Mar 15, '10, 9:52 PM.

Comment

• Obi
                    • Feb 1, 2010

It looks like a reaction of plastics to me.

Remember the reaction that original Star Trek klingons would have with the vinyl suits and the plastic phasers? They would melt the phaser over time. It looks like something similar.

Curious if the holes in the blister bottom are there to circulate air and slow the reaction?

Does anyone have a sealed figure that this is NOT happening to?

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

I also opened my figures in a way that kept the bubble intact. Figures have not been in the bubbles, and the cards have been stored in a climate-controlled, dark location. I don't see any "goo" on the inside of my bubbles.

I will need to check my Green Arrow. That one I opened, but put the figure back in the bubble for storage.

So it looks to me like either this is not affecting all the figures Mattel shipped, or it's not coming from the bubble plastic.

Comment

• Kevy247
                        Gotham City Tourism Board
                        • May 15, 2003

I looked at all my Figures after reading this post. My GL was getting the flat nose , the rest only had the oily residue to varying degrees inside the bubbles. I carefully opened the sides of the Bubbles to free them all from potential harm. Sinestro had the most oil and it was on his boots, but thankfully nothing stained anyone so am happy there. Was probably going to de-card them at some point anyway, but glad I saw this post and avoided any damage ahead of time. Will be interested to see how this issue plays out with Mattel.

Comment

• Duncan
                          Museum focus-groupie
                          • Jun 27, 2009

Given that these are being sold in TRU, theoretically for children, I wonder how long Mattel has until a news organization picks up on this issue. It would just take one parent already holding a grudge over the lead problems to concoct a good story:

"I bought Johnny a Superman doll for his birthday, but when he opened it there was some kind of chemical all over it and the package. Johnny said his hands started to burn, and people started to choke..."

Comment

• MegoSteve
                            Superman's Pal
                            • Jun 17, 2005

All five of mine are like this to some degree, with some showing those oily drips like Chad posted in his pictures. (Great pics, by the way!)

Just to add some context to why I'm really, really bummed about this... I've been cleaning my house lately and sorting through boxes and boxes of stuff in an effort to get organized. As a result, I'm going through yet another period of questioning why I keep buying toys as I uncover more and more things I didn't know I had and cannot believe I bought.

Mattel's charging $9 for a tiny Justice League action figure and $15 for DCUC these days, DC Direct figures are pushing $20, and Mattel Re-Megos cost $22 with tax or shipping... the hobby's rapidly becoming too expensive, especially when you take into account the way the economy's been so uncertain.

These things are already making me falter, and now the line we've waited twenty years for has a major manufacturing flaw?

Ugh.
                            Last edited by MegoSteve; Mar 17, '10, 8:31 PM.

Comment

• MegoSteve
                              Superman's Pal
                              • Jun 17, 2005

Originally posted by SlipperyLilSuckers
                              I have tears running down my face from laughing. And Duncan just set them off all over again.
                              Are they tears, or are they some kind of mold release or plasticizer reacting inside your bubble?

Comment

• Duncan
                                Museum focus-groupie
                                • Jun 27, 2009

Originally posted by MegoSteve
                                Are they tears, or are they some kind of mold release or plasticizer reacting inside your bubble?

A tip of Green Arrow's greasy, dripping hat to you, sir.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎