Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meule
    Verbose Member
    • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by reevefan78
    I think you'll need to talk to Blue Meanie about that......if I recall correctly he said he has the only one known to exist.......would make a cool set though.
    With the gloves on you wouldn't see the webbed hands anyway, so why bother
    "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• clemso
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 8, 2001

Now all we need is a Patrick Duffy custom

Comment

• noelani72
        27inaleon
        • Jun 25, 2002

Originally posted by Meule
        I'd display it without the oven mits
        It will never happen anyways...no way Berto would do it; can't say I blame him since there has never been another pair of hands ever found.

I'd never paid such a premium on a shark, moreless a boxed one until this run got started.

Comment

• stabilio
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 10, 2002

Originally posted by Meule
          Good point Thomas. And gloves do not fit over the webbed hands anyway. So for every time you see someone asking about a carded Aquaman, "Don't you want to open it and see if it has webbed hands?", the answer is it won't have them. And along the same lines, the boxed playset didn't come with them either as they were sold wearing gloves as well. Webbed handed Aquaman is shown gloveless in the Mego catalogs with the shark, which is where that misconception comes from. But gloves do not fit and they'd likely split if someone attempted to force them on.

Comment

• reevefan78
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 3, 2008

Yeah, personally I like the regular hands Aquaman better.....he just looks more like Aquaman with his green mittens!

Originally posted by stabilio
            Good point Thomas. And gloves do not fit over the webbed hands anyway. So for every time you see someone asking about a carded Aquaman, "Don't you want to open it and see if it has webbed hands?", the answer is it won't have them. And along the same lines, the boxed playset didn't come with them either as they were sold wearing gloves as well. Webbed handed Aquaman is shown gloveless in the Mego catalogs with the shark, which is where that misconception comes from. But gloves do not fit and they'd likely split if someone attempted to force them on.

Comment

• Mr Mego
              Love to play with Megos
              • Oct 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey01
              Looks really neat.

BTW, I always hated how Mego designed that box with the shark's fin blocking Aquaman's head.
              Yeah, that's bothering me can't see his head, lol.

Kris, can you move the Aquaman to the left side a bit more so we can see his head with smile or big grin face?

Originally posted by noelani72
              I'd display it without the oven mits
              LOL! Yeah, but he need his oven mittens to baking foods then feeding his Shark buddy.

Originally posted by reevefan78
              Yeah, personally I like the regular hands Aquaman better.....he just looks more like Aquaman with his green mittens!
              Yep, that way looks right as the original one you have.

BTW, your prototype insert box looks freaking amazing with repro Aquaman vs Shark box!!!!!
              Last edited by Mr Mego; Mar 19, '11, 10:16 PM.
              Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• reevefan78
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 3, 2008

Update on 'Aquashark' and repro box 3.26.11

There's been some down time this past week and a half or so in this thread so I thought I would update it with news from dengar (the 'Aquashark' repro box maker) and my buddy that is working on the 'Aquashark' repro casts.

Dengar received the backing board that I ordered and had shipped to his address. Below is a message I got from him today (Saturday, April, 26, 2011).

got the boards.... they were packed ok, took one out seemed fine... package must have weighed
                80 lbs at least...... I'm sure the fed ex guy hates me....

The boards are a lighter and better weight for this particular project than what can normally be found in most art supply stores and will duplicate the look of the original box a bit better than using white artist boards.

Also, despite having a set back in one of his other paying projects, my buddy that is working on the 'Aquashark' should be back on this project this weekend and if all goes well will be able to get this done in the next week or so to have the final mold and master cast available for show by the first part of April. As soon as he releases an image that I can post I'll be sure to put it up here. Stay tuned, more to follow soon!

Comment

• noelani72
                  27inaleon
                  • Jun 25, 2002

bumpity bump bump.
                  Sharkie production pics yet??

Comment

• reevefan78
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 3, 2008

I do have a few pics but my mold maker friend wants me to wait until he has a polished version to show as most folks have a difficult time seeing "the diamond in the rough". He is working diligently on it and promises pics very soon (hopefully within the next week or so). Hang tight......I know there has been a bit of downtime here lately but as soon as I have an update to share I'll be posting it here ASAP.

Dengar has received the backing board that I ordered last week and will be making another prototype that will in all likelihood be the model for the production boxes.

More to follow soon....stay tuned.

Originally posted by noelani72
                    bumpity bump bump.
                    Sharkie production pics yet??

Comment

• Mr Mego
                      Love to play with Megos
                      • Oct 19, 2003

LOL! Yeah, he likes to keep longest story without new pics of Sharkie yet.
                      Wanted to buy pair original shoes for vintage WOZ Wizard

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list in here.

Comment

• reevefan78
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 3, 2008

Pat,

While I'd love to show you the pics my friend has sent me of the intermediate cast of the 'Aquashark' he has made me promise to keep them to myself. He only wants to show a perfect prototype so right now he's working toward that goal. His experience has been (and I can attest to this) that when a work in progress is shown a lot of criticism starts flying around and he doesn't want anyone to judge a work in progress and possibly lose sales as a result.

There is still lots of filling and sanding to get to the final prototype from which the final mold will be made since my original shark had a good bit of plastic melt on the surface and other issues. He's also walling off the back of the throat and adding our own logo in place of the Mego logo. Don't worry though just as soon as I am given 'the green light' I'll post pics here. I'm not trying to tease anyone just want to keep my word to my friend. I hope you can understand.

More to follow soon....so stay tuned!

Originally posted by Commander
                        LOL! Yeah, he likes to keep longest story without new pics of Sharkie yet.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks for the updates & explanations--exciting!!
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• alex
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jun 15, 2009

Its going to be cool to see a picture of all these stacked next to each other, when they are finally done.

Comment

• MegoMark71
                              Permanent Member
                              • Dec 18, 2008

Enjoying watching this take place. Getting oh so close now.

Comment

• wilbs518
                                Mego Collector
                                • Jul 25, 2009

Thanks for the updates.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎