Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a repro Aquaman vs The Great White Shark set?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chalwa
    Mego Philomath
    • Jun 8, 2007

I almost assumed it would be a 'provide your own Aquaman' kind of deal.
    Too much hassle otherwise.
    Most people who want this have an Aquaman (or two, counting the retro-King) to put in, I would think.
    Chalwa AKA The Pre-Crisis Chris

Chris' Blogs:
    The Misadventures of Captain Blog
    Comic Book Fanzines: Chain Letters for Disturbed Children

When I am grown to man's estate,
    I shall be very proud and great.
    And tell the other girls and boys,
    not to meddle with my toys.
    -Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

• Meule
      Verbose Member
      • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by chalwa
      I almost assumed it would be a 'provide your own Aquaman' kind of deal.
      Too much hassle otherwise.
      Most people who want this have an Aquaman (or two, counting the retro-King) to put in, I would think.
      Yeah, this is what I was thinking as well. You supply the shark and the box, but not Aquaman
      "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• SPittVol
        Volunteer Collector
        • Feb 23, 2011

This may have been addressed previously in this thread. If so I apologize.

Will the Repro Shark set be available for anyone to purchase, or was a pre-order required?

Is there some type of projection as to when the Repro set will be available for purchase?

Is there an estimate of the cost?

Thanks in advance for your response. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Comment

• reevefan78
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by SPittVol
          This may have been addressed previously in this thread. If so I apologize.

Will the Repro Shark set be available for anyone to purchase, or was a pre-order required?

Is there some type of projection as to when the Repro set will be available for purchase?

Is there an estimate of the cost?

Thanks in advance for your response. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
          Hello and thanks for your inquiry. I have answered your questions below as best I can for now.

COLLECTOR AVAILABILITY: Yes, we will make the Repro shark and Repro Box (both derived from original source materials) available to collectors.......no pre-orders required. We will be making an announcement as soon as a target date has been made. I do not like pre-orders (I don't like holding onto other people's money without a product ready to ship to them or at the very least in the production stage and well past all the R&D stuff) so we are footing the bill ourselves - me, the mold maker/manufacturer of the shark and the designer making the repro boxes.

RELEASE DATE: Since we are funding this project ourselves paying "gigs" take precedence so my mold maker friend is currently working on 10 paid in full custom orders for another project that was started last year and is near the end of the production run and will hopefully be back to the "Aquashark" project the second to third week in March. We are wanting to be in production on these by May. I'll keep updating this thread so stay tuned.

COST: We are not sure about cost yet (this will be determined once we know cost of materials and time to make each shark and we do not want to commit to something until my mold maker has cast the first production piece.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: He's having to do an intermediate mold/cast to make adjustments on the intermediate cast. I've seen the intermediate cast sans the following adjustments listed below and it just made my hair stand on end......it looks "FIN-TASTIC" but my friend does not want to release in-progress shots until the flashing is removed and the intermediate cast is sanded and "spit shined" and ready for molding. He's concerned if we do lots of people won't be able to see the "diamond in the rough" so he wants to wait until the "showroom model" is ready for unveiling.

The adjustments we're making to the original (by way of the intermediate cast) include removing the Mego info and replacing it with ours and year of production, he's making the body in one piece rather than two halves left and right held together by 3 screws and glue (not including the upper jaw which like the original will be a separate piece held onto the lower jaw with the side pegs), walling off the back of the throat (but it'll still fit a mego figure down inside it's mouth ALA Quint VS JAWS) and this will be a static model meaning it will have the motor shaft and prop out the back but no working motor inside. We may do a working model later but it was decided to do a display piece first since a working model would drive the price up and most folks aren't going to be taking this into the bath tub with them anyway, LOL.

My friend will cast the sharks in the same color (or as close as possible to my original) and paint the eyes red and teeth white like the originals as well as thicken the back tail fin just a bit so that they will be aesthetically more substantial, look a bit more like the dorsal and pectoral fins, keep someone for trying to pass one off as an original Mego shark and make it less prone to breakage in those thinner areas like the original. Whew! Hope I covered everything there......more to follow soon, stay tuned!

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

My interest would lie in just the shark and box, so I could ad my own Aquaman to complete (and personalize) the look. At this point, keeping the cost reasonable is the make or break point for me. I would think you would almost need a list of people committed to the project before you could determine total materials needed to complete those requests and thus determine a price. Start up costs to make one prototype alone hopefully will not determine the final price, especially if you end up making a bunch of these. Of course who knows what "a bunch" is? 15? 30? 75? 150? I have no clue. But I would think the more orders you get early, the more you can get a handle on a fair price that serves both your needs and the buyers as well.

Comment

• clemso
              Talkative Member
              • Aug 8, 2001

I agree, you really don't need a working motorized propeller, but I may still take it into the bath

Comment

• reevefan78
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 3, 2008

Thanks guys for those of you who have written in over the last regarding this project as a sort of kit whereby 'we' supply the shark and box and you supply the Aquaman to complete it. This way you can have the option to add either an original Mego Aquaman or update this set with the retro-action figure (although you may want to switch the body out for a Doc Mego body or original Mego figure.....I think these bodies are a bit better looking and less like they've been riding horses all their lives.....in other words original Megos are less bowlegged in appearance).

I know things are a bit quiet at the moment but hopefully it'll get fired up again real soon.....just a lull before the "storm". More to follow soon, stay tuned.

Comment

• noelani72
                  27inaleon
                  • Jun 25, 2002

this thread is up to 33 pages now, 11,000 views...so I might have missed it; but did you get a scan of the wave-insert that Aquaman and the Shark mount to? If so, is a label-stock type of material going to be used with corrugated cardboard like the original?
                  ps - I'd prefer kit with no aquaman.

Comment

• reevefan78
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 3, 2008

Box insert to mimic the original in appearance as much as possible

Originally posted by noelani72
                    this thread is up to 33 pages now, 11,000 views...so I might have missed it; but did you get a scan of the wave-insert that Aquaman and the Shark mount to? If so, is a label-stock type of material going to be used with corrugated cardboard like the original?
                    ps - I'd prefer kit with no aquaman.
                    Oh yeah.......thanks to my new pal "geoffdude" who so 'lovingly' scanned his original Mego box and insert in pieces and sent it to me for 'reconstruction' (by my designer friend Greg Jensen, AKA 'geoffdude') along with a detailed diagram of the measurements of every die cut shape in it.....it will be recreated as exact as can be done. I have asked my designer friend who is doing the actual 'building' of the box both digitally and literally to find a corrugated cardboard material and some kind of matte paper heavy enough to be opaque white when mounted to the corrugated board for printing of the insert design which utilized a kind of screen printing technique. But Greg was already ahead of me in thinking along these lines and in wanting to faithfully recreate the box insert appearance and all. He is going to (as per my suggestion along with his own personal aesthetic direction) make the insert as close to the original as possible in every way as well as the box.

What we are going for is accuracy as best we can with today's technology on a modest budget since we are footing the bill and not soliciting pre-payment in advance to fund this project which I am opposed to. I have seen this go awry too many times before and as I've said.....I don't like taking other people's money without something to ship them either right away or soon after payment is made.

I hope this helps answer your questions.......and I am THRILLED to see this thread with so much interest....over 11,698 views at the time of this post response......'FIN-TASTIC'! More to follow soon, stay tuned........

Comment

• noelani72
                      27inaleon
                      • Jun 25, 2002

very cool. Dunno how I am gonna pay for it, but I'll find a way.

Comment

• reevefan78
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 3, 2008

Originally posted by noelani72
                        very cool. Dunno how I am gonna pay for it, but I'll find a way.
                        We're gonna make 'em worth every penny.

Comment

• Wise4671
                          Banned
                          • Aug 11, 2007

is there at least a ballpark figure on price that way some of us can save up some funds. are we looking at around $100 $200 $500 just a ruff guess would be great.

Comment

• reevefan78
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 3, 2008

Aquashark - rough 'guestimate' on retail cost

Originally posted by Wise4671
                            is there at least a ballpark figure on price that way some of us can save up some funds. are we looking at around $100 $200 $500 just a ruff guess would be great.
                            Again it is tough to say for sure since I am not the one manufacturing the shark.....my friend is....I am simply the project manager. He will know better once he has gone through the process of casting the first production piece as to how much it will cost in materials and time to produce each shark. However with that said I would venture to guess (but don't hold me to this) after a few conversations with him about it that you'd be looking to invest somewhere between $125 - 200 for the repro shark. I'm not sure what my box designer is going to ask for the box/insert so until I get more info from him I won't know. As soon as I hear something I'll be sure to post it here.

Stay tuned.......more to follow soon.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

What can we get for $20.00 or under ?

Comment

• livnxxxl
                                Megoholic RocketScientist
                                • Oct 23, 2007

Originally posted by Mikey01
                                What can we get for $20.00 or under ?
                                I will let you touch mine for $20.00....The repro shark that is. LOL!!
                                Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎