X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • houseofdracula
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 11, 2011

Hi Guys,
    I don't post here a lot, I usually just lurk and read news.
    I'm more of an AURORA models guy than a Mego guy but who says you can't like both?
    Right?
    Anyway, in the late 1990's a company called "Polar Lights" started to reissue the old AURORA Monster model kits from the 60's & 70's.
    Many of the collectors were nervous that this would hurt the market and it may have.
    However, I do own original AURORA kits and they are still very high on the collectors lists.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is if there is a demand for a product, someone at some point will put it out.
    Luckily, in the cases of both AURORA & Mego, the reissues have slight differences so that it's easier to tell them apart from the originals.
    The House of Dracula - Monster Model Museum.
    https://www.facebook.com/houseofdracula

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by houseofdracula
      Hi Guys,
      I don't post here a lot, I usually just lurk and read news.
      I'm more of an AURORA models guy than a Mego guy but who says you can't like both?
      Right?
      Anyway, in the late 1990's a company called "Polar Lights" started to reissue the old AURORA Monster model kits from the 60's & 70's.
      Many of the collectors were nervous that this would hurt the market and it may have.
      However, I do own original AURORA kits and they are still very high on the collectors lists.
      I guess what I'm trying to say is if there is a demand for a product, someone at some point will put it out.
      Luckily, in the cases of both AURORA & Mego, the reissues have slight differences so that it's easier to tell them apart from the originals.
      Honestly, HOD, I can't stand the type of collectors you refer to. The only way reissues or reproductions can "hurt" a hobby is if people are in it for the wrong reason, namely investment. The mentality of reissues "devaluing" a collection is lost on me. A toy collection's worth should come from the joy it brings you, not how many dollar signs are sitting on your shelf. I've paid top dollar for more than a few pieces in my collection, but if they were reissued tomorrow I wouldn't care...in fact some have been reissued. I'm just happy that everyone can enjoy them as much as I do.
      I deal in vintage movie posters and I see the same thing...there is a small, but elitist group of wealthy snob collectors who think only the privileged few "deserve" to enjoy vintage posters and that if someone can't afford originals they should "find another hobby" as I've been told many times. I was also told once that unless I paid a lot of money for an original poster I couldn't really appreciate it.
      What rubbish.

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

We're ten years into ReMegos, and even beyond that for repro parts, and I think it's become a rather moot point given how many new folks have entered the hobby because of them being affordable nostalgia items.

In fact, i think it's become evident that in some cases, much fewer ReMego figures were produced than the originals. We're seeing price increases on Sulu, khan, the new Gorn, Wonder Woman, even the repro Romulan. Also, Salt Vampire and Pike appeared to have fell waaay below the radar, and I think the demand on these will only increase over time.

Secret Identity Bruce and Dicks, as well as the rest of the Batman gear, including removable masks, have been common enough for a long time now.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• scoth70
          Persistent Member
          • Oct 17, 2008

yes..a good thing is that the reissues have the differences to tell them apart from real vintage mego..... as I said if I can get a few cheap and not the price they already wanting here in the uk id have a handful for display..

Originally posted by enyawd72
          Honestly, HOD, I can't stand the type of collectors you refer to. The only way reissues or reproductions can "hurt" a hobby is if people are in it for the wrong reason, namely investment. The mentality of reissues "devaluing" a collection is lost on me. A toy collection's worth should come from the joy it brings you, not how many dollar signs are sitting on your shelf. I've paid top dollar for more than a few pieces in my collection, but if they were reissued tomorrow I wouldn't care...in fact some have been reissued. I'm just happy that everyone can enjoy them as much as I do.
          I deal in vintage movie posters and I see the same thing...there is a small, but elitist group of wealthy snob collectors who think only the privileged few "deserve" to enjoy vintage posters and that if someone can't afford originals they should "find another hobby" as I've been told many times. I was also told once that unless I paid a lot of money for an original poster I couldn't really appreciate it.
          What rubbish.

Comment

• zeedox
            Career Member
            • Aug 10, 2007

A Comment and a Question

So were folks worried about the vintage pricing mad when the later versions of the originals came out as opposed to the first stringed ones?
            Its like one of our favorite toys back in production. I hope it stays in production for years I promise to keep buying hehe.

Where's SUPERMAN?? :-)

Comment

• houseofdracula
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 11, 2011

Originally posted by enyawd72
              Honestly, HOD, I can't stand the type of collectors you refer to.
              I know, I know.
              Everyone is different and we all have that right.
              Me?
              Nothing stays in the box.
              I buy things to enjoy them.
              I've got the new FTC Batman series displayed (off of the cards) as well as over 200 built & painted model kits.
              But, that's me.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                Wake Up Heavy
                • Jan 31, 2010

I posted this in one of the other threads thinking it was this one. But oh well, here's my take so far:

Got mine today! Yay for Saturday delivery!! The kiddo is playing with them right now. Well she's playing with Joker and Riddler, we have a kit-bashed Batman and Robin already. I did buy the new FTC ones, but they are going to some friends' kids. Anyway, they look awesome! I never had Riddler as a kid, and am happy to get a NEW figure that my kid and I can play with. He does not stand, his left leg is flipped in a little too much, I think the band is twisted. So I'll probably undress him later and see if I can spin the leg around. Other than that they are very cool. Will take pics once the playin' is over. Really looking forward to further series.
                Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

I talked to one of the guys at FTC, and asked if they were possibly going to do Supergirl at one point.

He said that they were discussing it, but no major decisions.

I then suggested that they skip on the little bitty slippers that she wore, on account of those are the first things that are lost. He laughed and said that if they do make the Supergirl, she'd be an accurate reproduction. I then suggested that they go the silkscreen route.

I also intimated that once the shoes went bye-bye, the owner of the figure would bring out his/her inner five year old and start yowling about the lost shoes. Those of you who have young daughters know what it's like when they lose their Barbie's shoes, don't you? Okay, imagine a grown up type person doing that over SG's slippers.

I know that DM can replace them easily, but that doesn't prevent one from freaking about losing them in the first place.
                  JediJaida

Comment

• Iron Mego
                    Wake Up Heavy
                    • Jan 31, 2010

Took Riddler's outfit off, gave his torso a twist and voila!, straightened him right out.
                    Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

My daughter and I played with our dudes for well over an hour today.

Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Jason73
                        Correctamundo!
                        • Jan 11, 2009

Originally posted by Iron Mego
                        My daughter and I played with our dudes for well over an hour today.
                        Really great photo. The Flash fits right in too!
                        Happy Days-Mego Style

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

GREAT pic, but is Batman's cape beginning to fray? That would be both good (faithful to the original) and bad (it is fraying).

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Jason73
                            FTC Batman Wave 1 has arrived in Seattle.

Wow, what a great looking figures! Thanks for sharing these pictures!

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• houseofdracula
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 11, 2011

Originally posted by Hedji
                              GREAT pic, but is Batman's cape beginning to fray? That would be both good (faithful to the original) and bad (it is fraying).
                              If I read it correctly, his Batman is from the 1970's.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                                Wake Up Heavy
                                • Jan 31, 2010

Yes and no. Some parts are original, but the cape is Doc Mego's, not FTC.
                                Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎