X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Scott, Welcome.

I'm not interested in the line unless Yvonne is involved, hope she works it out.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Just a general statement in regard to the "DC/WB" scenario batfriend brings up... I imagine that it's hard to swallow any offer that's even remotely insulting considering the financial resources of who is in charge of making the offer. I think about what the actress who popularized Batgirl has done for the DCU franchise, and the mind fairly reels.
      Last edited by huedell; Apr 22, '13, 10:45 AM.
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Gorn Captain
        Invincible Ironing Man
        • Feb 28, 2008

If the quality is there, I'll collect the line, with or without Batgirl. I mean, it would be cool to have the figure included, but there's plenty more to be happy with.
        In the end, it's still just a plastic toy, and we're all adults.
        Can we just rewind and go back to "this is the best thing ever!!!!!"....
        "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ I'm all for that Gorn. Yvonne is going to be 76 years old next month. If she hasn't made enough money off the Batgirl role in her lifetime and can't see clear to sign her permission to have a little bit of product made for fans who have championed her role and paid for her little signature for over 40 years, then I see no point in discussing it further. It's a little bit of immortality she'll miss out for herself and those who liked her in the role. Because in the end, she can't take it with her. Now...

ISN'T IT GREAT TO HAVE THIS '66 BATMAN LICENSE?!

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I hope it all works out. It line won't be as much fun without Batgirl figures.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• batfriend
              • Aug 1, 2010

Originally posted by MIB41
              And since when does being her "personal web master" have a thing to do with being her agent?
              I'm not, but I am somebody who she does trust to talk to and I asked her if there was something I could post over on my forum site for the curious because there was some serious confusion and debate as to whether or not she was even approached. Granted, I feel I have said too much over time about this for the sake of some understanding and clarity but not enough to where this deal could get buried over it.

Why on earth would she tell you such things unless your just a tool for her to flood the net with her position? I would never discuss contract negotiations with someone in your position.
              Although I'm far free from being a tool at times, I'm hardly her tool or anybody else's. I wouldn't expect you to talk to somebody in my position but when Yvonne, Meridel and I talked, it was hardly in relation to my position. I'm not directly involved in her negotiations, just a friend at that point and somebody who got it and I told her that I felt it was relevant to let some of the folks know what was up.

Nobody is crying or expecting somebody to cry over it. At the same time, I still found it rude and dismissive to some of the comments I found here and spoke my mind as you and others have spoken theirs. And please don't mistake my ill attempt at some sort of diplomacy as intending to be or come across as coy. The written language sucks for this sort of thing (maybe I need more emocons). A phone call would have been so much easier and less messy in the end. lol

Just saying. That's the not so cold and simple truth of it.
              Last edited by batfriend; Apr 22, '13, 11:59 AM.

Comment

• batfriend
                • Aug 1, 2010

ISN'T IT GREAT TO HAVE THIS '66 BATMAN LICENSE?!
                Yes! Btw, I hadn't seen this post while I was typing up the one I just posted.

Really, no ill will and no worries.

Let's have fun!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Welcome Scott. I was lucky enough to meet Yvonne at Wondercon a few years ago. She was super nice, and loved the story I told her about the Batcave and figures I customed for a kid I used to babysit. I watched her w/ her fans and she seemed genuinely gracious and grateful for the fans. I would only want what is fair to Yvonne and the line. We don't know how long Yvonne is going to be w/ us, and if DC/WB wants to use her likeness for the rest of her life, (and onward after she passes), then they need to be prepared to give her a fair price.
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Scott - so in other words, you could have just pointed to what I wrote and replied "that is correct".

Otherwise, I have no idea what you wrote has any significance other than to play white knight.

She's holding out because of en perpetuity. I wrote that. I get that. So did everyone here. No one is knocking her to get the best deal.

Don't come by knocking people because someone here sent you a link.

Comment

• starsky
                      veteran member
                      • Aug 26, 2007

great discussion folks.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

I hope everyone is able to come to some sort of agreement. It's been too long that this TV show has been held up because of behind the scenes bickering
                        in regards to the rights and such. Now that it's finally come to fruition, it'd be nice to see everyone involved get "A Piece of the Action".
                        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by batfriend
                          Nobody is crying or expecting somebody to cry over it. At the same time, I still found it rude and dismissive to some of the comments I found here and spoke my mind as you and others have spoken theirs. And please don't mistake my ill attempt at some sort of diplomacy as intending to be or come across as coy. The written language sucks for this sort of thing (maybe I need more emocons). A phone call would have been so much easier and less messy in the end. lol
                          Just saying. That's the not so cold and simple truth of it.
                          Let me just add one additional point to clarify where I'm coming from. When you work conventions for as long as I have, you begin to see patterns of behavior for personalities. Working with them is much different from meeting them, because you see them in all their various moods, voicing opinions not always intended for public consumption. And their as human as we are, so an ample degree of understanding should be handed to them as we would anyone else in our lives. I don't expect them to be perfect. If anything it's comforting to hear a superlative come from an iconic face. For me it grounds them. But where I see the rub is in the convention experience itself. Especially the big ones where you have a slew of guests. It's not a very dignified experience. These people are lined up, often behind folding tables, like horses in stalls. And that's why as a fan you never know whether your experience with one of these people will be good or bad. And I've personally seen Yvonne in places I wouldn't go to regardless of the asking price to get me there.

But... BUT... these personalities go there anyway because the money is good. Oftentimes it's so lucrative, the money dwarfs anything they made in their professional heyday. So there's a sell out aspect to the convention experience. And that sell out doesn't permit them to retain the public dignity the money affords them in their private lives. So when you see a celebrity who is indignant or money hungry, that's usually why. They can't reconcile the two. They want the money, but they also want to be considered just as relevant as they ever were, even though the money they make no longer comes from that profession. So as degrading as some of these conventions can surely be, it is my opinion that as personalities (and no longer actors) these individuals should be grateful to have such a lucrative income coming from people who just want to say "Hi".

And while I certainly have more than a fleeting respect for Yvonne and those who are fans of her Batgirl role, I really have to ask myself how hard nosed I would personally be if I had lived my whole life making all sorts of money off this image and then denied the fans (who gave me this lifestyle) the enjoyment of having product to celebrate me even further. I think the entitlement clause creeps into that decision if I say no to the deal. Because how much money is enough at this point? If she was 25 or 30 years old, maybe there are considerations to my career and future earnings. But not at 76. If she takes it a little 'on the chin' so fans can have some of that product, so be it. What is really lost here? Only what she says 'no' to at this point. I think you have to look at the sum total of what you've reaped from this and not just one contract that will not nearly enrich you (under the best of conditions) as what the fans have done throughout your life.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

I'm not too worried about Batgirl. They can do it without her likeness for all I care. All you see is her mouth anyway. Long as they use the show costume, I'm good.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                              GLOWS in the Dark!
                              • May 3, 2006

A Batgirl will be very sorely missed.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

I will miss Yvonne's Batgirl if a deal is never reached. But, it's her likeness, to do with, or not, as she pleases.

As long as West and Ward agreed, the line was going to go forward, and it has. And I'm in for as much as I can swing, if it looks good.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎