Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

I'm more concerned about the costume, and having any version made. It could be Anthony Balasco's niece as 66 TV Batgirl for all I care, if it's a choice between something like that or nothing.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

The license seems to include the TV Batgirl's costume, but not Craig's likeness. Hence the Rubies Halloween costume.

Honestly a generic Batgirl would be easy enough to pull off, BUT could it be a legal sticking point, opening companies up to Craig saying it looked TOO MUCH like her, unofficially?

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Pretty sad that after a virtual life time's worth of bickering over licensing fees by the cast, Yvonne Craig would be the one last stick in the mud in all this. I guess vanity and greed can follow you into Medicare age as well.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

I don't understand what makes Yvonne, in essence, think that she's better than Adam, Burt or Julie who have all signed off on their likenesses. I don't pretend to know what's all involved or what the monetary aspects are but if your fellow living costars who are just as important as you (Julie) or more important and crucial than you (Adam/Burt) have gone along with these deals, what does she hope to accomplish by being a hold out?
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Attention. Plain and simple. She can't get past the fact she was in the series as little more than a glorified cameo during what is arguably the worst creative period for the show. If they never make a figure in her likeness, I won't shed a tear over it. Put the costume on another pretty face and let's move on. She was superficial and seems to be stuck in the role to this day.

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

Well I don't know if I'd say her role was a "glorified cameo" or "superficial"...She was in EVERY episode of Season 3 and was a major focus of that final season. Now granted I know she's not everyone's cup of tea and many people feel that Season 3 was horrible creatively. But this isn't about individual seasons or episodes anymore. It's about celebrating the entire series. I am NOT a fan of the Black Widow for example but if every other major villain ends up getting made and she doesn't I'll feel a bit cheated So by the same token, in fact, even more so, if Season 3 gets represented by Louie the Lilac, The Siren, Dr Cassandra, the Eartha Kitt Catwoman and we don't get the 3rd part of The Terrific Trio I will feel cheated. Heck, a Yvonne Craig Batgirl could successfully lead an entire wave of Season 3 figures. Add on a Barbara Gordon figure too if that will help sweeten the deal somehow.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

And let's face it...They're ALL stuck in the roles to this day. Adam West IS Batman, Burt Ward IS Robin, Julie Newmar IS Catwoman, etc. With the exception of Burgess Meredith and Vincent Price I don't think anyone else has really done anything as iconic as what they did on "Batman"

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

I hate to seem ignorant, but what's with all of the negativity toward Yvonne?

Since we don't have any details as to what kind of money she was offered, how is she now being perceived as being greedy and entitled?
                  JediJaida

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

Let's just focus on all the characters that we are getting, and that we probably thought would never get at all.
                    The glass isn't just half full, it's 90% full at this stage. Full enough to get totally drunk on Batman 66 figures...
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• JediJaida
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 14, 2008

90% full of 90 proof rum!!! Now you're talking!
                      JediJaida

Comment

• batfriend
                        • Aug 1, 2010

Wow folks,

How off base and rude can some be about Yvonne in regards to this proposed licensing deal. I won't even share some of the e-mails I got about this general subject by anxious and disappointed fans but YOWSERS! Lol.

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Scott Sebring and I run the 1966 Batman Message Board and for the past five or so years I have been Yvonne's personal web master. Last month, I had lunch with her and her sister Meridel (two of the sweetest people I know) and the subject about licensing came up because I was curious as to whether or not we were going to see some TV Batgirl merchandise. She told me that she had been contacted by somebody from the WB/DC merchandising department and she went on to tell me the deal that they proposed. My jaw dropped and my face stung for her because it felt like a slap in the face. At first. I thought she was kidding but she was not. I cannot reveal the exact details and numbers but I will try to illustrate the best I can without stepping out of bounds. Essentially, WB/DC wants to pay her for the use her likeness in perpetuity, that is to say forever for whatever product they want to license out, on any planet anywhere in the universe. That part is no exaggeration. The money offered was a one time fee that was for what I would dare to say is less than some of you would make in a week and possibly less than some of you might make in two weeks at your day job. Less than most appearance fees. Less than I would accept for somebody telling me that they wanted to make money off my likeness forever on anything and anywhere and I don't even warrant having one to offer. I have no idea what Adam, Burt or Julie agreed to or were offered or eventually settled on and that really isn't the point here. Yvonne does NOT deem herself more important or just as important as the dynamic duo. She can only account for herself and her personal affairs in business decisions. Yvonne told the person from WB/DC that the deal made no sense for what they wanted in comparison to what they offered. Yvonne has done licensing deals in the past and present for characters such as Marta from Star Trek that at least made sense as to the length of the time for the licensing and the type of product that would be made as well as the money offered for such a deal at least. She would like to have product out there for fans and collectors but it needs to make a little more sense than what has been proposed to her. She's not trying to be a big hold out or a scrooge. She's simply trying to work out something that makes sense that she may be signing off forever. I told her at the table that as much of a fan as I am and as much as I would LOVE to see some action figures of her finally out, I couldn't see her agreeing to such a small and insulting amount for the returned agreement from her at the cost of what they seek from it. If this doesn't go through, I feel the burden and blame would be on WB/DC and not her.

Now, I know where most of the negativity about this sort of thing stems from and I'm going to be blunt. It comes down to "I want my..." and generally pays no consideration as to cost to the human on the other end. Many "fans" try to shame their so called idols into trying to get what they want with such things as " We put them where they are today", "They're being greedy" "How dare they" and "They should be thinking about the legacy" sort of stuff. There's probably a certain amount of truth in there in some cases out there but by no means should any of us feel entitled to have anyone make a bad business move that lasts forever if they are not comfortable with it. If you're upset or disappointed, I can understand but please be more considerate and polite before we start pointing fingers at who is being greedy, entitled or selfish.

I do not mean any disrespect here to anybody personally but some of the comments here I feel were unwarranted, disrespectful and unfair by those who have no clue what is actually going on behind the scenes. My apologies to any noses I might have bent in the process.

Hopefully, something will pan out and we can all be talking about the awesome collectibles we'll have.

BTW, I did do some coverage at a launch party in Hollywood a few weeks ago for the Classic TV Batman line.
                        Check out my blog for pics and a couple details: http://www.scottsebring.com/?p=938
                        Last edited by batfriend; Apr 22, '13, 9:24 AM. Reason: typos- too early to be typing this much. ;)

Comment

• boss
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 18, 2003

as far as I can tell there has only been one person in this thread with negative comments, and whether we agree or disagree they are entitled to their opinion (for the record, I disagree). Welcome to the forums. Let's try to keep things positive!
                          Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• batfriend
                            • Aug 1, 2010

Originally posted by boss
                            as far as I can tell there has only been one person in this thread with negative comments, and whether we agree or disagree they are entitled to their opinion (for the record, I disagree).
                            Agreed. I just felt I could add some perspective as an informed source and as a personal fan. At the same time, I didn't want to single anybody out nor did I intend to accuse the lot. So once again, my apologies if anybody felt their own nose bent from my post.

Originally posted by boss
                            Let's try to keep things positive!
                            Whole heartily agree! This is a fun and exciting time!

Comment

• pmwasson
                              Maker
                              • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by batfriend
                              BTW, I did do some coverage at a launch party in Hollywood a few weeks ago for the Classic TV Batman line.
                              Check out my blog for pics and a couple details: http://www.scottsebring.com/?p=938
                              Great pictures! Looks like it was a lot of fun.
                              sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by batfriend
                                Now, I know where most of the negativity about this sort of thing stems from and I'm going to be blunt. It comes down to "I want my..." and generally pays no consideration as to cost to the human on the other end. Many "fans" try to shame their so called idols into trying to get what they want with such things as " We put them where they are today", "They're being greedy" "How dare they" and "They should be thinking about the legacy" sort of stuff. There's probably a certain amount of truth in there in some cases out there but by no means should any of us feel entitled to have anyone make a bad business move that lasts forever if they are not comfortable with it. If you're upset or disappointed, I can understand but please be more considerate and polite before we start pointing fingers at who is being greedy, entitled or selfish.

I do not mean any disrespect here to anybody personally but some of the comments here I feel were unwarranted, disrespectful and unfair by those who have no clue what is actually going on behind the scenes. My apologies to any noses I might have bent in the process.

Hopefully, something will pan out and we can all be talking about the awesome collectibles we'll have.

I have no problem taking the blunt of that accusation since I'm the one who said what I did. So no need to be coy as to whom YOU'RE pointing the finger at Scott. I'm happy to take it and talk about your OWN presumptions. First of all, I don't want anything from Yvonne, including a doll that looks just like her. Anyone can wear that outfit. I've worked in the convention business for 15 straight years and I've had more than my fill of these personalities that last made news forty plus years ago. These people can do ridiculously well off autograph signings if they have a good agent who can gauge demand. With a good agent they come in with a guarantee take for the weekend and the convention assumes all the risk whether anyone shows up or not. So before you cry us a river about what Yvonne is supposedly getting "screwed" on here, let's broaden the scope to see where she does make the money. And since when does being her "personal web master" have a thing to do with being her agent? Why on earth would she tell you such things unless your just a tool for her to flood the net with her position? I would never discuss contract negotiations with someone in your position. I can only assume her agent must not have a good head for business, because the major players are accounted for and the product is getting made. What is Yvonne getting? NOTHING. What will people be willing to give her if the license doesn't go as as hoped? NOTHING. So maybe the reality didn't meet with her expectations. But I can assure you holding out for more when this market will be saturated in product in a few months is not the way to get there. All I'm saying is she is the lone hold out and it makes her position look awkward. Because people who make this product can work around her likeness and the funny thing is most consumers will NEVER notice. So if she doesn't want another free check, don't take it. She'll make that up when the DVD box set eventually hits and she can take it out on the fans and charge them whatever she thinks she can get. That's the cold hard truth of it.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎