X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by monitor_ep
    It would be funny is this version of Frankenstein is from Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man starring Bela Lugosi as Frankenstein's monster.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23722[/ATTACH]
    I'd be ok with that as long as I could find one.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Spoiler Below!!

It's Lon Chaney Jr.!

Last edited by LonnieFisher; Sep 1, '18, 4:23 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

I thought it was going to be Bela since they have likeness rights for him. Seems like they would use it for more than just Drac.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Interesting that's it's Chaney Jr. he only played the monster one time, but Ghost of Frankenstein is my personal favorite of the Franky movies, maybe it's Marty's too? But I wouldn't mind a Karloff version in a future wave.

I wonder if Frankenstein will be the only monster release in wave 2? it would be nice if the Wolfman was released with it and we get a Chaney Jr. double feature.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Far from my favorite Monster, but I'll get one. The Chaney license opens the opportunity for a Kharis figure, which is exciting.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              I thought it was going to be Bela since they have likeness rights for him. Seems like they would use it for more than just Drac.
              Now that there using Chaney Jr. for Ghost of Frankenstein, maybe they will use Bela for Igor and give him his spooky
              sounding horn?

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                Far from my favorite Monster, but I'll get one. The Chaney license opens the opportunity for a Kharis figure, which is exciting.
                I hope so, the Chaney Mummy was the best, and maybe more Chaney for Son of Dracula too.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                  Career Member
                  • Jun 21, 2017

I didn't get Dracula, but I can see myself getting Frankenstein. There's something fun about the odd mix of characters I can pick up - like why shouldn't I have a Frankenstein next to my Kelly Garrett, Sulu, and Action Jackson?

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Now that I know it's Lon Chaney Jr...my hopes are high for a Wolfman. 😀
                    sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                      Now that there using Chaney Jr. for Ghost of Frankenstein, maybe they will use Bela for Igor and give him his spooky
                      sounding horn?
                      I am hoping they use the Bela likeness rights more than once. Igor, Murder Legendre would be two good ones.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Liu Bei
                        Banned
                        • Mar 31, 2018

Bit of a tangent, but Frankenstein's Monster is technically supposed to be white/grey, not green. Green makeup was used on both Karloff and Lugosi because it showed up white/grey in black and white film. Color photographs of the actors in costume led to the public perception of them being green, Frankenstein more than Drac. Drac only suffered from being portrayed as green in some early advertising before it was corrected. Frankenstein's Monster was not so lucky.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

I like the green, as inaccurate as it is, because it makes me think of putrid flesh!
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                            Bit of a tangent, but Frankenstein's Monster is technically supposed to be white/grey, not green. Green makeup was used on both Karloff and Lugosi because it showed up white/grey in black and white film. Color photographs of the actors in costume led to the public perception of them being green, Frankenstein more than Drac. Drac only suffered from being portrayed as green in some early advertising before it was corrected. Frankenstein's Monster was not so lucky.
                            Here is an old thread from five years back, where our fellow member, Samurainoir, shared pics of the color guide for Frankenstein.

Just received the EMCE Frankenstein and Wolf Man today, and while they look lovely, I couldn't help but think of how the modern style guide for Universal seems to have negatively impacted some color choices. The worst offender? Frankenstein's GREEN jacket. Green? Where did this come from? This dates back to the mid '90s

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                              That's not entirely accurate...the monster was depicted as being green on nearly all of Universal's advertising and movie posters beginning with "Bride" in 1935. This remained consistent all the way up until Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein in 1948, and even with the Munsters.

Last edited by enyawd72; Sep 2, '18, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                                Banned
                                • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by enyawd72
                                That's not entirely accurate...the monster was depicted as being green on nearly all of Universal's advertising and movie posters beginning with "Bride" in 1935. This remained consistent all the way up until Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein in 1948, and even with the Munsters.

I understand that the color marketing/advertising for Frankenstein showed him with green skin. I referenced it in my initial post. Early Dracula posters portrayed him with green skin as well.

My point was not that this didn't happen, but rather it was inaccurate. The green makeup was used to have Drac and the Monster show up as ashy white/grey corpse colored monsters on screen.

As a fan of silent era films in particular, and b&w film in general, I can tell you this was common practice. It's why Matt Dillon originally wore a pinkish/red shirt in Gunsmoke.

Frankenstein's Monster (and Dracula) showed up as white/grey on film by design. They showed up green in advertising by mistake. For Frankenstein the mistake persisted and passed into pop culture, just as the upright arms while walking did (even though this scene appeared only in Bela's portrayal after the Monster was blinded.)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎