This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dholden007
    • Dec 15, 2012

Hi everyone, my name is David. I honestly stumbled onto this site by complete accident after doing a Google search for Green Hornet head sculpt which led me to a post here. However then I started to explore and really liked the site. I have a very strong appreciation of megos, but i have to admit I never collected them. I basically collect Sideshow and Hot toys (I also like the DC Direct Batman Black & White line). This is an amazing site. Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

Welcome David. Please stay and have some pie.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

Hello Mego-Heads!

I've lurked a while, and posted a little, but I figured I'd introduce myself properly.

My name is Andy, and I am an original Mego Generation kid. Born in '72. I began as most of you, with lots of WGSH dolls. I absolutely adored my Megos, and to this day I have a fetish for oven mits!

Originally, I had Batman, Robin, Superman, Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, and the Green Goblin. And my sister had Batgirl. I loved them dearly, but for some reason, I vividly recall the day when I thought it'd be OK to flood my sandbox with the garden hose and slide them all down a slide into the mud. The horror!

Today, all that exists is my Spider-Man (in great shape), my Captain America, Penguin, and naked Batman, Superman, Batgirl and Riddler. I'm thinking maybe I should try to restore them. What do you think?

As a wee lad, I was all about 1966 Batman. That was it for me, until Star Wars came along and swept me away. I've amassed a gigantic Star Wars collection, which I love. But lately, I've been feeling the nostalgic impulse for all things Batman 66, as well as Mego.

I've been a fan of plaidstallions for many years now, and for whatever reason, saw the ad for the Megozine advertised. Then, the Big Bundle with the Supercollector / Brick Mantooth doll spoke to me, and said "buy me". Let me say, this Christmas, opening up that Brick doll, was like flipping on a switch for me. (Yes, Brick Mantooth, this is all your fault!) I realized that the Mego format is THE perfect figure format, and the friendly, colorful style of these dolls really gels with me. So I've spent the last two weeks digging deep through these forums, really liking what I see, and hoping to take a somewhat active role in collecting Mego figures again.

What I'm liking and hoping to do here:

1. Pick up some original Megos. Loose, and maybe a few boxed/carded. Mostly WGSH.

2. Restore some of the old ones I have with repro parts.

3. Get into some of the wonderful modern mego style figures like Battlestar Galactica, Flash Gordon, and Buck Rogers

4. Begin customizing. I've done a lot of classic monster model kits, and I think I could have a lot of fun doing the custom thing, but of course, I'm not sure where to start, and everything that's available to me.

5. I'm a huge fan of podcasts, and I'm listening to the Mego Museum podcasts. Learning a lot and great stuff after hearing only two episodes.

I'm excited to be a part of this community, and ready to learn as much as I can. I'm hoping to contribute as well as gain from this message board. I will likely ask a bunch of newb questions, because from what I can tell, there's a big difference between collecting vintage Megos and, say, vintage Star Wars (for example, the attitudes towards repro parts are a big no-no in Star Wars collecting.).

Well, that's all for now. I've really been bit by the bug, and it's all Brian and Scott's fault for their excellent lure with the Mego Magazine Big Bundle. It worked, guys!

Thanks for having me. Oh, and those trading cards are awesome!!! Send more!!!

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

^^^hello and welcome bro
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• clemso
            Talkative Member
            • Aug 8, 2001

Welcome hedji

Comment

• RottingDead
              Museum Super Collector
              • Dec 27, 2012

How I ended up here is a tragic story.
              I'm 42 now,so was the perfect age for Mego figures when they were the hot item to have.
              My older brother had a job at a local sandwhich shop and every other week,He brought me home Mego WGSH figures when he would get paid.
              I Loved all of them and took excellent care of all my toys.
              One day when I was around 16 (1986) I came home to find My entire room cleaned,stripped of all my child hood toys.
              They were gone,thrown away and all because my folks thought I was too old for toys.
              I have my own family now and my youngest is 9.
              We started watching a lot of the classic cartoons,including the 67 animated Spiderman cartoons,which brought my thoughts of My mego spiderman flooding back to me.
              Bought Him and seeing my son have the same love and appreciation for Him has made me never look back.
              There is a certain feel to these figures that I cannot find anywhere else.

Comment

• Scousebadger
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2, 2012

Hi everyone

I'm Gary, and I'm just getting back into the 1/9 scale. I was spoilt as a kid (I'm 41 now), as I was bought the Mego/Denys Fisher Doctor Who figures and TARDIS. I never got the Mego Dalek, but got a red and black Palitoy talking Dalek instead.

Like RottingDead, I also had to give these up when I was deemed "too old", and they went off to a cousin. I look back at these on ebay and want to cry. I had a fortune lol

Comment

• de-phantom
                  • Jan 12, 2013

Hi Joe, have been collecting TV/Film/Character figures for over 20 years here in the UK. I have a mixture of loose and boxed Megos, Fighting Furies, Madelman, Action Man, Denys Fisher Cyborg/Muton & Android, Matt Mason, Big Jim to name a few. I now only buy mint and original. I don't do re-issues or repros, which is hard nowadays as they look so good, so now my collecting has slowed in the last few years, though having 3 kids has also affected that! I wonder if you know whether the UK offered the AFA grading service? It so expensive to access this service, so would appreciate it if you knew if it could be done over here. I would like to get some of my figures graded properly. Cheers Peter

Comment

• Scary
                    • Feb 17, 2013

Hello! I am a 15 year old collector from England. I have been collecting since the very early days of my childhood with my first ever action figures being Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul from Star Wars: The Phantom Menace when I was 2 or 3 years old.

I had figures bought for me on-and-off until I became a full blown collector in 2005 at the age of 8 years old; I amassed a great quantity of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith action figures.

Then in 2006 I got into collecting Doctor Who action figures and have been collecting Star Wars and Doctor Who figures ever since.

My interest in both DW and SW led me to research some of the more elder lines of figures for those particular franchises, and I fell in love with just how awesome original vintage action figures are. I began collecting the Kenner SW figures in early 2012 and also started collecting Dapol DW figures at the same time.

Then around half way through 2012 the BifBangPow! line of DW figures was announced, and my fondness for retro and vintage action figures attracted me straight to them. I bought all of wave 1 and loved them. Ever since I have been closely watching BifBangPow!'s activity, and seeing the latest announcements at NYC Toy Fair for a Big Bang Theory line excited the hell out of me - I'm a big fan of the Big Bang Theory indeed. This recent excitement has led me to look up some other BBP! figures that I could potentially get my hands on, and then I stumbled across Mego. My love for vintage toys, my excitement for these type of figures and also my enjoyment of Marvel comics, movies and superheroes meant that I instantly fell in love with the Mego line.

I am yet to get my hands on some Mego figures but I hope to at least get enough characters to create a team of Avengers and also Justice League. I can't wait to dive into collecting Mego and I hope that I can meet some new people on the way! :D

Comment

• wilbs518
                      Mego Collector
                      • Jul 25, 2009

Welcome aboard, everyone.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Klosterheim
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 23, 2013

Hello,
                        I've looked at the museum site a few times.
                        Decided to finally join the forum.
                        I read Blastr and Rebel Scum often.
                        Always had Mego TV Enterprise. Transporter, viewscreen fun!
                        I really enjoyed the refit bridge of 1979.
                        The reproductions are pretty nice, but nothing like having the originals.

Comment

• JWLJN
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 7, 2013

Hi everyone,

Finally joined after YEARS of lurking. As a kid growing up in '80s, I always wanted Mego toys but even by the late '80s they were selling for "collector prices." Prices that would be downright cheap today, but not to a kid who was used to getting Star Wars figures and toys usually clearanced out for fifty cents or less!

I eventually did end up picking up some Mego's in my teens, but I never got to acquire that collection I wanted as a kid. My collection is solely professional wrestling now, which has become much more than a hobby (if you're a fan or collector, check out my blog in the link below--cheap plug!), but I still enjoy reading about other toys like Mego. I don't know how I'm going to be able to resist the new Mego-style Batman 1966 figures. That's exactly how I imagined Adam West Batman figures all those years ago. Considering my sole interest in superheroes anymore is my lifelong love of that show, it seems like I'm meant to buy them.

Living in Pittsburgh I've always been intrigued by Mego Meet. A few of the years, including this year, it's been on the same weekend as a wrestling convention, but I plan on making it down one of these days.

Thanks for letting me join up!

-J\/\/
                          http://wrestlingmemorabilia.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/JWsWrestlingMemorabilia

Comment

• kattie
                            • May 19, 2013

Hi, here comes a new one ... from Germany.
                            Yes, I grew up without Mego and tons of other cool play things which were sold in U.S. in the 70s and 80s but not in Germany.
                            Now I am investing vast sums in international postage to introduce at least some stuff into my collection :-)
                            I am mainly a 1/6 diorama girl. My blog has not much grown yet.
                            1to6fun.blogspot.com
                            I came across this forum when searching for old Gabriel toys.
                            I love these Mego figures. How annoying they are not in scale for my 12'' world :-(
                            I fell in love with some kids of "Our Gang". Would love to add some to my little world, especially Buckwheat. I guess they would fit.
                            And I am looking for Gabriel's Lassie's farm Timmy and Lone Ranger's Danny Reid.
                            Browing through this forum makes my mouth water!
                            Regards,
                            Katte :-)
                            Last edited by kattie; May 21, '13, 4:35 PM.

Comment

• mvanis
                              Career Member
                              • Feb 5, 2013

Welcome!
                              Looking for:
                              • Lincoln Monsters (Any condition)
                              • Boxed Mego Monsters
                              • AHI Jigglers / Bendy Monsters (Carded and Loose)
                              • ANYTHING Monster related

Founder - The Toy Archives

Comment

• piecemaker
                                There's no need to fear..
                                • Jan 26, 2009

Hi Kattie,dig around some more and you may find some Megos that will fit into your 12" world. http://www.megomuseum.com/wgsh/12/index.html

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎