X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by geoffdude
    Can't really comment on the quality, other than to say many people seem to having problems with the production of these, and that's really too bad. After waiting so long, it's a shame things like this happen.

The price however, that's another issue. $19.99 seems very reasonable. Would I like to pay less? You bet. But factor in body, cloth suit, packaging material, shipping etc., and probably lower production numbers of this line compared to most, the cost of $19.99 really seems in line.

Also, prices of all plastic action-figures have jumped 60% or more over the last few years due to oil cost, production/labor cost of factory workers in China and shipping cost increases due to fuel. And, sewing these cloth costumes is probably more expensive than applying a paint shot upon plastic.
    Sorry to double post, but you posted this while I was posting my other response. In my original post I mentioned that at my TRU these were right next to DCUC.

Personally, your post didn't do anything to me but sort of accent the overall point I was trying to make. Why would anyone choose these lumpy, sort of cheap quality looking figures for $20 when there is a $15 higher quality figure with multiple accessories and a BAF part right next to it?

MOTUC no doubt is an expensive line to collect, but the quality is really high. Some of the other examples you mentioned, like JLU are vastly overpriced, so no argument there.

Still, the price tag isn't great. I think if these looked and felt a little higher quality, you could make an argument for them. Assuming I keep the one I bought, I know I'm going to have to upgrade him to a better body. This presents a problem, the toys are too expensive for kids, against too much competition for nostalgia value and don't quite offer the quality for hardcore collectors. So what demographic does this work for exactly? Aside from the absolute most hardcore Mego folks.

I'm not sure WHAT can be done to make these work better, just stating my opinion that I think it's a tough road to hoe. This isn't like having to choose between a GI Joe and a Marvel Universe figure (where the Joe is the better value but the MU is the only version of the comic character) this becomes a choice of Superman versus Superman... Pay $15 for the one with better paint and sculpting, plus accessories or pay $20 for one that's sort of misshapen and may need a new body. And that's where I think this line will have some issues.

That Two Face that was previewed looked like a $20 figure. IMO.

Comment

• BlackKnight
      The DarkSide Customizer
      • Apr 16, 2005

Dude, where you score that ?! Man I need Him !!!
      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• geoffdude
        Banned
        • Apr 18, 2009

For what it's worth I tend to agree with you. These are very niche.. and for it to survive as a line, and be worth the $20 price point, quality issues will need to be resolved/improved. Most people who buy these are probably 75%-80% of the lines target market. If these customers start having torsos fall apart, or figures that can't stand, then they're less likely to buy the next wave.

Regards,

g.

Originally posted by ODBJBG
        Sorry to double post, but you posted this while I was posting my other response. In my original post I mentioned that at my TRU these were right next to DCUC.

Personally, your post didn't do anything to me but sort of accent the overall point I was trying to make. Why would anyone choose these lumpy, sort of cheap quality looking figures for $20 when there is a $15 higher quality figure with multiple accessories and a BAF part right next to it?

MOTUC no doubt is an expensive line to collect, but the quality is really high. Some of the other examples you mentioned, like JLU are vastly overpriced, so no argument there.

Still, the price tag isn't great. I think if these looked and felt a little higher quality, you could make an argument for them. Assuming I keep the one I bought, I know I'm going to have to upgrade him to a better body. This presents a problem, the toys are too expensive for kids, against too much competition for nostalgia value and don't quite offer the quality for hardcore collectors. So what demographic does this work for exactly? Aside from the absolute most hardcore Mego folks.

I'm not sure WHAT can be done to make these work better, just stating my opinion that I think it's a tough road to hoe. This isn't like having to choose between a GI Joe and a Marvel Universe figure (where the Joe is the better value but the MU is the only version of the comic character) this becomes a choice of Superman versus Superman... Pay $15 for the one with better paint and sculpting, plus accessories or pay $20 for one that's sort of misshapen and may need a new body. And that's where I think this line will have some issues.

That Two Face that was previewed looked like a $20 figure. IMO.

Comment

• geoffdude
          Banned
          • Apr 18, 2009

Originally posted by BlackKnight
          http://i.ebayimg.com/18/!Bm)RcE!BWk~...1PfTg~~_12.JPG

Dude, where you score that ?! Man I need Him !!!
          Not my pic, but I did find him at Target (exclusives only now). These are just hitting this week.. so get to your Targets.

Comment

• BlackKnight
            The DarkSide Customizer
            • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by geoffdude
            Not my pic, but I did find him at Target (exclusives only now). These are just hitting this week.. so get to your Targets.

My Target had the Newest Wave ...

Orange Aquaman
            Star Sapphire
            Batman
            Big Barda
            Green Arrow

... What's in this Wave ? ... Man I so need that Firestorm.
            ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Blue Meanie
              Banned
              • Jun 23, 2001

My post is just pointing out facts.

Fact : No one likes the Mattel Body...so what are they gonna do...swap it out for a Mego Body or a Doc Mego Body or Castaway. So basically you're looking at buying the figure for basically the head, outfit, and accessories. I broke it down for what it's gonna cost for anyone to do that. My numbers are pretty solid. It would cost anyone more $$$ to make those figures, from custom parts from Doc Mego or Castaway, that Mattel is already providing with these figures that they are coming out with. We all get that the body sucks...we all get that the card is crooked on the rack...we all get that the Mattel figure is NOT perfect. It's not a Mego and it will never be a Mego.

BTW, if anyone thinks that Mattel is gearing this line towards the so called masses...you are wrong. The little DC Universe plastic figures are geared toward the Masses(Kids)...these figures are geared toward the collectors. I can guarantee you that there won't be any "Bling Ice Batman's" or "Power Launch" Superman's. Why do you think these figures are being shipped in individual cases??? You can order what figure you want...you aren't stuck with peg warmers. They want to move as many of these as possible. They know the collectors are buying these figures...don't fool yourself into thinking any different.

Comment

• hobub
                Ghost of a Dead Indian
                • Jun 18, 2001

Mmhmmn, I see your point. The whole thing doesn't affect me much as I collect mainly antiques.

Megos are Antiques. I like it that way.

The new Megos aren't really Megos. Megos are from the 1970's. I can live with that too.
                Last edited by hobub; Feb 28, '10, 6:34 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Anyone who suggests that a mego collector has no vieable opinion of the modern action figure market is as blinded by preference as they suggest we are.

While we are fans of a format, we are not blind to trends, however its ridiculous to assume one style or format is for everyone.

The retro action line is keyed to a demographic and hopefully their children. They could use some improvement but honestly compared to exclusive premiere, Famous Covers or Signature series, they're the best foot forward a major has ever made.

You can drone on and on about HeMan or Transformers to me and I know it sells but to me they're overpriced hunks of plastic. I just know that's my preference but that's all any of this is. It's a format for action figures, hopefully it takes off, if it does, it doesn't mean the other formats will suffer or fall by the wayside.

I grew up on Star Wars, loved it but when I see them on the shelves for $10 I think "that's a joke" but dammit, other guys buy em.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ScottA
                    Original Member
                    • Jun 25, 2001

With the price of action figures today of any size I'm always amazed Mego could sell the WGSH from $1.99 to $3.49.
                    sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• starsky
                      veteran member
                      • Aug 26, 2007

finally saw them today. there were only 2 sinestros, 2 lex luthors, and 1 green lantern. i was so happy to see them that i just paused for about 3 seconds to take the whole thing in! didnt want to pause too long bec they might've been snatched up! lol my 7 yr old seemed to be more excited than i was! we ended up buying green lantern. i noticed that green lantern had some loose stitching on his costume and probably the reason why he was left hangin on the peg. didnt matter to me tho, bec my son was so ecstatic about having a "mego" green lantern that he could actually play with.

Comment

• WannabeMego
                        Made in the USA
                        • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                        Assuming this was directed at my comments.
                        I don't think it was...this discussion/debate has been going on since way before the figures came out.

Most of the responses on both sides I believe are an accumulation of multiple posts since this discussion started way back.

I think Orlock said it best:

Originally posted by Orlock
                        I think a lot of times the comments are coming across as bitter and not just opinions and that is where the problems lie. It's a matter of not having any tone online during interactions and that makes things read differently for different people.
                        I think that one of the best responses is, we should agree to disagree and go back to loving Megos
                        Last edited by WannabeMego; Feb 28, '10, 8:37 PM.
                        Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

As always Tom has a good way of putting it.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• megowgsh
                            Customego HoF Curator
                            • Nov 19, 2003

Here is the TRU in Joliet, IL

Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• Uni
                              Museum Patron
                              • Sep 7, 2008

I hit two Toys R Us locations on my drive to northern CA on Saturday, and found nothin' in Santa Clarita and nothin' in Visalia. Bewilderingly, both stores had radically different layouts than my Porter Ranch store. Kept the search interesting...

Checking Chico, CA this morning. I might also just get some from toysrus.com. The treasure hunt is fun, but it's been frustrating too.

I really love this thread!

Comment

• Zod
                                • Feb 25, 2010

Toysrus.com has sold out of all but Sinestro.

I can honestly see where both sides are coming from. I haven't opened up mine so I can't comment on quality.

What I'd like to know is how Mattel can justify the $20 cost of these given the following observations:

1) The packaging design is very simple and borrowed. I can't imagine designing these to have taken that long.
                                2) The blister design is simple, no molded blister inside to keep the figure in place - no elaborate bands winding around the figure, securing it.
                                3) The figure's supposed to emulate a toy that by today's standards leaves a lot of sculpting detail to be desired.

That this is a collector line IMO does not justify the high cost. I believe Mattel here is trying to sell an "experience" of nostalgia, more than just a figure. Either way, I do enjoy a lot about them too.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎