Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SKotK
    Career Member
    • Mar 11, 2014

Sounds like they're trying their best *not* to have the show pushed back any more than it already has; hence Bryan Fuller's role being minimalized.

--SKot
    Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i missed Beyond in theaters but just watched on Bluray and I really liked it. a lot of great character moments and little inside jokes/nods to the original series

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

No doubt ...
        Trek 3 was Solid in my house .
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by BlackKnight
          No doubt ...
          Trek 3 was Solid in my house .

With me as well BK...LOVED IT!!
          sigpic

Comment

• rykerw1701
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 27, 2007

Trek 3 was very good, I agree. I think it was the best of the new time line and better than half of the films from the TOS/TNG run. Paramount blew it with the marketing on it, especially to the younger crowd, which is where much of the money is made in theaters.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

I place the last Star Trek movie above all the TNG movies (Admittedly I never liked the show) and kind of in the middle of the TOS movies. It was fun and felt like Star Trek.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^I liked First Contact, but that was about it for the TNG movies. They're watchable, but I don't even consider them in with the classic crew films. I'd say Beyond is the best Trek film since Undiscovered Country. I dug the hell out of it.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                  ^I liked First Contact, but that was about it for the TNG movies. They're watchable, but I don't even consider them in with the classic crew films. I'd say Beyond is the best Trek film since Undiscovered Country. I dug the hell out of it.Chris
                  agree on all points. First contact was a solid movie, the other 3 TNG movies were boring

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

As a super Trek nerd I never liked First Contact because it contradicted Trek history told by FASA and the like.

Zephram Cochran is not from Earth, he was from Alpha Centauri.

The "first contact" between Earth and Vulcan was a rescue mission

Comment

• warlock664
                      Persistent Member
                      • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by SKotK
                      I went to see the original Planet of the Apes on the big screen tonight...and since Star Trek Beyond started right after POTA ended, I slipped in and saw the new movie for free.

I'm still upholding my pledge not to give CBS/Paramount my money until they come up with a better solution to the fan film problem.

--SKot
                      So you don't want to support Paramount by giving them your money, but you have no problem stealing their product?
                      That's awesome.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by warlock664
                        So you don't want to support Paramount by giving them your money, but you have no problem stealing their product?
                        That's awesome.
                        and exactly why Paramount put the kibosh on the fan films

Comment

• blastphemey
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jun 11, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
                          The thing is, this is NOT Star Trek. It's Star Wars with the Trek brand slapped on it. All of the things that make Trek what it is...compelling storytelling, social commentary, exploration, the betterment of the human race...all of that has been thrown out and replaced with explosions and eye candy.
                          I agree with this 100% It's just another Hollywood sell-sell-sell reboot with little substance.

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

That's awesome.
                            Well said!!
                            sigpic

Comment

• SKotK
                              Career Member
                              • Mar 11, 2014

That's awesome.
                              I own or have previously owned Star Trek on ViewMaster reels, VHS, DVD, and now Blu-ray sets. That's OWN, where I bought it brand new at full price and have it residing right there on my shelves. So I don't think there's any room to get on a high horse about me refusing to pay money to see the latest film. I've paid a significant amount of good money for Star Trek merchandise my entire life, putting it gladly into CBS/Paramount's coffers. And I would gladly continue to do so, if they hadn't mucked up the 50th Anniversary year so badly and sunk the prospects of decent fan films for the future.

No, after how Paramount and CBS have treated the fans this year, I made my decision not to give them my money for the new film. It's the only way I really have to vote against what they've done, by voting with my dollars (or lack thereof). Yes, I know it's just a drop in the bucket and "what difference will one person make", yada yada...but it's a matter of conviction for me. And it seems I'm not the only one, based on the hit the film took at the box office due at least in some small part to old school Trek fans like myself feeling disenfranchised.

It's a shame that it had to happen around such a good film, though. It's great seeing all the genuine love for Star Trek Beyond on here the last few days, because the film really does deserve that praise. Maybe it will do better in Blu-ray sales. But it won't be on my shelf - not this year, at least. And maybe not until CBS/Paramount wise up a little bit, if they ever do.

--SKot

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• SKotK
                                Career Member
                                • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                                and exactly why Paramount put the kibosh on the fan films
                                Now this doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I'm willing to bet that nearly every single person involved in those fan films has probably spent gobs of money on Star Trek product as well, and probably owns every single episode of every single series as well as every single movie, most likely on Blu-ray for the best viewing experience. The sole reason they're even making those fan films is because they want more!

Nothing to do with anybody "stealing their [CBS/Paramount's] product" at all. Unless you are talking about the fan films themselves as being stolen product, and there I'll have to disagree with you.

It's a classic case of CBS/Paramount biting the hand that feeds them...merely because the letter of the law says that fans' hands in this case are legally on the menu.

--SKot
                                Last edited by SKotK; Nov 3, '16, 7:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎