X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
    I understand why Paramount had to do what they did and will be seeing this film with my entire family.

Also, I consider myself a real fan of classic Star Trek.
    sigpic

Comment

• SKotK
      Career Member
      • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by The Bat
      See, that's the thing...I AM being sincere...I love the NEW Star Trek...I'm so happy it came back...and not some Next Gen/Deep Space nine crap. But KIRK, Spock and McCoy!!
      I actually like the new Star Trek as well. I loved the first Star Trek re-imagined movie. It was the right blend of old with new, somehow being a reboot while still taking place within the spectrum of the original, and even doing it in a very Star Trek way using time travel and alternate universe theory. It had a vibrant new cast, and way more action than we'd seen in any previous Star Trek film, while still holding the promise that it could be about exploration as well. Many original series fans enjoyed it, but it was also enjoyed by a large audience of people who were not necessarily into Star Trek or even sci-fi itself. It got them interested, and it revived the franchise again. Not an easy feat, but somehow they pulled it off.

The second film I was very excited about at first, but it quickly became apparent it had some massive flaws. I was hoping they would have started on their five-year mission, but instead it's practically a rehash of the first movie: they still wind up back defending the Earth from an extremely dangerous madman with superior firepower who has returned to wreak his terrible revenge. The fact that it was Khan was even worse: just because it was the second new movie doesn't mean they should be mirroring the second original Trek movie. This is a retelling of the ORIGINAL SERIES here, not the movies (yet). They shouldn't be meeting Khan yet; they're not even to the point where they would have met him the first time. And I love Benedict Cumberbatch and think he did a fine job on the part, but he was wrong as Khan. Maybe getting an actual Indian actor to play Khan Noonian Singh might have been good this time? Anyway, it wasn't until I watched it the second time (in the theater) that I really began to see how bad the second movie was. And I was really disappointed by that realization, because I enjoyed the first one so much.

This new film...well, the first trailer left just about everyone who cares about Trek feeling cold, especially after the let-down a lot of people felt about the second film. They tried to make up for it a bit with the second trailer, but many fans are still wary of it. I am also wary, but still holding out hope that it could be good, or at least a return to what I liked about the first one. I'm still excited that there's a new Trek movie coming out. I intend to see it at some point...although I won't be paying to see it the way I've paid to see and own (in multiple formats) every other Star Trek movie ever made. I will find an alternate way this time.

So really, my own boycott of the new movie is not based on its content. I just feel there could have been a better compromise made, and I blame CBS/Paramount for not doing that. One could blame Axanar as well for going too far with their production, and they probably did, but what CBS/Paramount did was not the right solution.

It comes down to this: Star Trek Continues, Star Trek: New Voyages (aka Phase II), Starship Exeter...these amazing fan-made series productions that the studios would NEVER have done will now cease to exist as such. A miniseries like Of Gods And Men will never happen again under these new restrictions. And this is why I'm upset. This is why I am boycotting.

I can still see both sides, of course, and I respect the opinions of those who disagree or who just want to go see the new movie. And I'm glad this thread has opened up some great discussion about the topic.

--SKot
      Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

I am already happily boycotting Beyond because Into Darkness was horrible.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

I understand why Paramount had to do what they did. Also, I consider myself a real fan of classic Star Trek.
          Agree.

Originally posted by phil
          I am already happily boycotting Beyond because Into Darkness was horrible.
          Also agree.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

It's very simple... reviews, opinions, trash talkin, praise, etc, etc, if you feel like and want to see the darn movie
            then go and see it. I'm a huge Trek fan, I have seen the first two movies, I wasn't overwhelmed but didn't dislike
            it either, the romance between Spock and Uhura I felt was stupid and unnecessary, but overall the movies were okay,

I will be seeing the third Trek installment with an open mind and make my own personal opinion, heck, it's just a movie
            a night out, make plans with family and or friends and go see it, I'll admit it's not as exciting as the presidential debates
            but I'll be suprised if I see people in front of the theater in pickett lines boycotting the movie on opening night.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Here's some stuff I don't like about the new "official" movies.

The characters first ....

Captain Kirk --- Pine is not the same Kirk as Shat ... Pine acts like a kid (teenager)

Spock --- Quinto's Spock acts like he's ready to kill everybody all the time but holds himself back ... We never got this impression of aggression from Nimoy...

Dr McCoy --- Great impression of De Kelly, but the actor plays the role with too much comedy ... His constant sarcastic whining reminds me of EVERY show made for children nowadays --- They all have to have a sarcastic wise cracker.

Scotty --- Scotty is not a buffoon ... The guy that plays Scotty must have only seen Doohan's Scotty when he was drunk or high on drugs (Wolf in the Fold)

Uhura, Sulu and Chekov I can't really complain about.

To sum up, the original cast acted like grown men.
              Last edited by Mikey; Jul 6, '16, 4:16 PM.

Comment

• SKotK
                Career Member
                • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                It's very simple... reviews, opinions, trash talkin, praise, etc, etc, if you feel like and want to see the darn movie
                then go and see it. I'm a huge Trek fan, I have seen the first two movies, I wasn't overwhelmed but didn't dislike
                it either, the romance between Spock and Uhura I felt was stupid and unnecessary, but overall the movies were okay,
                I didn't actually mind the romance between Spock and Uhura. In fact, it does have precedence in the Original Series, even if it never quite played out.

But how do you feel about the way CBS/Paramount handled the fan film situation?

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                I will be seeing the third Trek installment with an open mind and make my own personal opinion, heck, it's just a movie
                a night out, make plans with family and or friends and go see it, I'll admit it's not as exciting as the presidential debates
                but I'll be suprised if I see people in front of the theater in pickett lines boycotting the movie on opening night.
                You won't. Of course, I'd love to see a massive active fan boycott that actually cut into the CBS/Paramount bottom line, but...most fans are too lazy to actually take that kind of action. Plus, opinions vary too much on CBS/Paramount's recent actions (as well as the films themselves). And if you've never heard of the fan films, or have seen them and don't like them, then you're not going to care about the studios stomping on the ant that is fan-made films. And that's just that.

I won't be picketing, but I won't be at the theater to see it. I'll watch it some other way that doesn't involve me giving the studios money.

--SKot
                Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I get what you are saying but I plan on seeing the new movie. I really liked the 2009 reboot. Darkness had a lot of flaws but I still enjoyed it. I watch movies to be entertained. it's not Shakespeare. it just a movie. if I can be entertained for 2 plus hours and like it enough to then buy it to watch at home then as far as I am concerned, they did their job. is the new cast perfect? no of course not, nothing could ever live up to our expectations for replacements of the beloved original cast

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                    Invincible Ironing Man
                    • Feb 28, 2008

I miss the "explorer" aspect the most. Too much emphasis on fighting, not enough on "going where no one..."
                    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Of all the casting choices in the new Star Trek movies, the only one which really bugs me is Simon Pegg as Mr. Scott. He's practically unwatchable in the role.

Scotty was a tough, no-nonsense Scotsman who didn't take any crap. But Pegg plays him like a comedy relief character. It's grating.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        I hate to say it...but I can see Paramount's side in the cease and desist on the fan productions. They honestly let them go too far, for too long, and that's where the sting lies. If they don't defend their property, then at some point down the line, their ownership can be challenged. That will not only affect CBS and Paramount (I know, they're faceless corporations, who cares?), but also every actor/writer/producer/crew member who works on, or potentially ever worked on Star Trek. If they get some kind of residuals (and I know at least Shatner and Nimoy's estate do), then if Trek's ownership is overturned, they are all going to be out of money.

When the fan productions are being legitimately talked about as true continuations of the original series....that's getting to close to that all-mighty IP.

It's a shame for the folks who put so much work into their productions...but they had to know this was going to happen, sooner or later.

Chris

I agree. When one person stupidly tried to get money for his fan film it crossed the line. At one point I had every fan film that popped up on the internet and then some, and NOBODY asked for money. It was a "video" business card to show what you could do.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                          Invincible Ironing Man
                          • Feb 28, 2008

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                          Of all the casting choices in the new Star Trek movies, the only one which really bugs me is Simon Pegg as Mr. Scott. He's practically unwatchable in the role.

Scotty was a tough, no-nonsense Scotsman who didn't take any crap. But Pegg plays him like a comedy relief character. It's grating.
                          Even though I'm a Pegg fan, I agree.
                          "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Movie Scotty seemed to be mainly comic relief though

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Toyman_Chris
                              70's Era Pimp
                              • Sep 7, 2011

Originally posted by SKotK

I won't be picketing, but I won't be at the theater to see it. I'll watch it some other way that doesn't involve me giving the studios money.

--SKot
                              .........and with that statement you add credence to their decision to stop the fan films and infringement on their copyright.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                                Invincible Ironing Man
                                • Feb 28, 2008

Movie Scotty seemed to be mainly comic relief though

That movie would be the exception, and didn't we love those scenes in ST V.
                                Looking at STTMP, TWOK, etc, Scotty's scenes are serious. I don't mind Scotty having a sense of humor, he certainly had it in TOS, but Pegg really takes him in a very different direction.
                                And what can I say about Spock and Uhura in the new movies? Talk about "a different direction"...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎