Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Also, remember, this isn't the first time Paramount has faced fan-backlash like this, and it seems like they don't learn.

Back closer to the turn of the century, anyone remember when Paramount went after fan-sites for copyright violation? In a similar fashion, Lucasfilm saw that backlash as well and sought to extend the olive branch the fans rather than bring down the hammer. Doesn't mean Paramount was wrong... they have every right to legally enforce their copyrights, and should in the case of Axanar. If I am remembering correctly, at the time back in day, Lucasfilm gave fans the means to content that would fit under their copyright umbrella.
    Last edited by samurainoir; Nov 4, '16, 6:39 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• SKotK
      Career Member
      • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Since you asked, my hand is raised.
      Holy impeccable record, Batman! Consider me stoned.

Wait, I didn't mean it quite like that.

But...have you ever cut the tag off a mattress? Recorded a song on a cassette tape? Driven over 55 in a 55 zone? Xeroxed pages from a book? Parked too long on a meter?

--SKot
      Look what happens when you aren't allowed to play with "dolls"...

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by samurainoir
        Also, remember, this isn't the first time Paramount has faced fan-backlash like this, and it seems like they don't learn.

Back closer to the turn of the century, anyone remember when Paramount went after fan-sites for copyright violation? In a similar fashion, Lucasfilm saw that backlash as well and sought to extend the olive branch the fans rather than bring down the hammer. Doesn't mean Paramount was wrong... they have every right to legally enforce their copyrights, and should in the case of Axanar. If I am remembering correctly, at the time back in day, Lucasfilm gave fans the means to content that would fit under their copyright umbrella.
        some interesting reading here:
        Copyright law is important to every stage of media production and reception. It helps determine filmmakers’ artistic decisions, Hollywood’s corporate structure, and the varieties of media consumption. The rise of digital media and the internet has only expanded copyright’s reach. Everyone from producers and sceenwriters to amateur video makers, file sharers, and internet entrepreneurs has a stake in the history and future of piracy, copy protection, and the public domain. Beginning with Thomas Edison’s aggressive copyright disputes and concluding with recent lawsuits against YouTube, Hollywood’s Copyright Wars follows the struggle of the film, television, and digital media industries to influence and adapt to copyright law. Many of Hollywood’s most valued treasures, from Modern Times (1936) to Star Wars (1977), cannot be fully understood without appreciating their legal controversies. Peter Decherney shows that the history of intellectual property in Hollywood has not always mirrored the evolution of the law. Many landmark decisions have barely changed the industry’s behavior, while some quieter policies have had revolutionary effects. His most remarkable contributions uncover Hollywood’s reliance on self-regulation. Rather than involve congress, judges, or juries in settling copyright disputes, studio heads and filmmakers have often kept such arguments “in house,” turning to talent guilds and other groups for solutions. Whether the issue has been battling piracy in the 1900s, controlling the threat of home video, or managing modern amateur and noncommercial uses of protected content, much of Hollywood’s engagement with the law has occurred offstage, in the larger theater of copyright. Decherney’s unique history recounts these extralegal solutions and their impact on American media and culture.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by SKotK
          But something like Star Trek Continues? That should be left alone. They are doing good work and promoting the IP in a fantastic way, for free. The same with other similar fan productions. But instead, CBS/Paramount felt they had to create restrictions that they knew would by definition destroy those productions. And that, again, sucks.
          Yeah except because Anazar or whatever crossed the line, now they panic and have to set up boundaries. Can't do it buffet style or another production could try and do it and they have a legal precedent because Paramount turned a blind eye in the past. It has to be sweeping.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• SKotK
            Career Member
            • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by samurainoir

Yes, I remember this well and I very nearly mentioned it here (and I think I did elsewhere on the forum). Star Trek websites got whacked with cease-and-desists all over the place back then, and it was ugly. Lucasfilm, thank goodness, took a smarter approach (after some initial missteps themselves) and embraced fan sites who weren't trying to turn a profit from their property. I was one (or two, or three) of those fan sites, and I was very grateful for their decision. And Star Wars fandom flourished online because of it.

It seems that Paramount hasn't learned from this, and will probably never learn...unfortunately. Go ahead - kick the fans in the teeth again. They like it.

--SKot
            Last edited by SKotK; Nov 4, '16, 7:02 PM.

WANTED: partly-unsealed or bubble-damaged carded Romulan + unbroken plant trap from Mission to Gamma VI

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by SKotK
              Holy impeccable record, Batman! Consider me stoned.

Wait, I didn't mean it quite like that.

But...have you ever cut the tag off a mattress? Recorded a song on a cassette tape? Driven over 55 in a 55 zone? Xeroxed pages from a book? Parked too long on a meter?

--SKot
              I'm not here to stone anyone. I'm no prude, Pollyanna, or paragon of virtue. I don't know you personally or dislike you. I just don't agree with what you did or your justification for it.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• SKotK
                Career Member
                • Mar 11, 2014

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                I'm not here to stone anyone. I'm no prude, Pollyanna, or paragon of virtue. I don't know you personally or dislike you. I just don't agree with what you did or your justification for it.
                Fair enough. In many ways, it was an experiment for me. I'd honestly never done anything like that before, and I wanted to see how it would go: whether or not I could follow through with it, how many people would agree/disagree with me, and what the reaction would be. It was...interesting. Much like poking a hornet's nest is interesting. Will you forgive me my sins once I buy the movie on Blu-ray next year? (as I'm certain I will - it's too good not to own!)

On a not-related but similar topic, I've never walked out of a movie. Although I would have walked out of the second Transformers movie if I hadn't been there with a couple of friends who wanted to see it...if I'd been there alone, I would have been gone before the film was even half over. I did, however, walk away from that franchise and have not looked back.

--SKot

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎