X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by The Toyroom
    Not really....they were the only ones left Seriously though I think it's another case of the writers boxing themselves into a corner. Out of the original 815ers it appears that Sawyer and Kate were the only ones who finally got off the island and never went back. Not a very high number, considering there were originally 48 survivors, not counting the tail section, if I recall. Well, I guess you can count Jack and Hurley amongst that number of true "survivors"...so that brings the survival rate to a little over 8% if my math is correct. I don't think I'll be flying Oceanic any time soon with those odds
    Hmmm...just like everyone else I seem to have forgotten about Claire....Doh!

Raises the percentage but I'm still not flying Oceanic....
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• JDeRouen
      Author of Small Things
      • Jun 14, 2001

I heard on the radio today that the 20 extra minutes that will be on the DVD release will focus on Hugo and Ben care taking the island, thus setting up the potential for... you guessed it... a sequel.
      --
      Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• megoscott
        Founding Partner
        • Nov 17, 2006

Hmm. Thanks for the tip, Joe! Check out this video

Big "Lost" Scoop from Michael Emerson on G4 TONIGHT | LOST Media Mentions
        This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

so is that extra 20 minutes only available with the box set of all 6 seasons or will it be on the Season 6 set?

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

They say it'll be on both.

Comment

• megoscott
              Founding Partner
              • Nov 17, 2006

But geez, if that's the 20 minutes of answers they promised it could be answers to questions that nobody asked.

Comment

• JDeRouen
                Author of Small Things
                • Jun 14, 2001

I don't plan to buy the DVD set, but I'm sure someone will post the epilogue somewhere about three seconds after it's released.
                --
                Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

According to Jeff Jensen in this week's EW there will be special DVD features that answer some of the questions, including, as he puts it, "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllt!"

Comment

• Paul Evans
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 19, 2001

Ok, I spent 5 years in a predominantly male college studying Engineering. Granted, I wasn't running for my life through the jungle on some crazy island, but it was still pretty tough! At the time, my roommates and I meant the world to each other...we went through it all together: life, death, dropouts, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, breakups, pregnancies, etc. That went on for FIVE FREAKING YEARS!

Seventeen years later...

...I don't even know where most of them are.

It's probably been 5 years since the last time I talked to ANY of them. And some of them, I haven't talked to since graduation!

Unlike what Christian Shephard said to Jack, these people were NOT the most important people in my life. I thought they were at the time, but 17 years later...I'm married with kids and a mortgage. The people in my life now are MUCH more important to me than the guys I spent those five years with. When I die, if I end up in Pergatory, I hope I'm not sitting around waiting on this bunch of yahoos to show up. That would suck.

My point:

If any of these people who escaped the island actually lived 15+ years post-island...then I can't see them really giving THAT much of a rip about people they knew such a short time. The most important people in their lives will be the people they've spent their last few years with. They're not going to be sitting around Purgatory waiting on some guy to show up that they met, had a 3 month adventure with and then left behind to continue their lives.

Granted, Jack, Sayid, Sun and Jin might. They died. But Boone and Shannon? REALLY? And the survivors? If Desmond dies at the age of 74, do you think he's still gonna care that he spent a short time on the island with these people? And where was Desmond's child? And Sun and Jins? Was Aaron there?

The whole Purgatory thing and waiting on Jack so everyone could move on is just not sitting well with me. I didn't like it when I saw it and I still don't.

And by the way...what happens to the guys that Jin and Sayid killed in Purgatory? And what would have happend if Desmond had killed Locke with the Car, Sun had died of the gunshot wound or Desmond had drowned in the car with Charlie? Did those goons move on? Did they go to hell? From Sayid and Jin's actions in Purgatory, it sure doesn't seem like they were redeemed. Sounds like they were living the same old lifestyle. No character growth there.

And if anyone deserved to move on...it was Ecko. He HAD redeemed himself and given himself to God. It's crazy to say he and Michael were trapped on the island as voices continuing to pay for their sins. Doesn't anyone remember Ecko's redemption?

Last edited by Paul Evans; May 27, '10, 6:28 PM.
                    "They say no man can resist them."

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Paul Evans
                      The people in my life now are MUCH more important to me than the guys I spent those five years with. When I die, if I end up in Pergatory, I hope I'm not sitting around waiting on this bunch of yahoos to show up. That would suck.

Granted, Jack, Sayid, Sun and Jin might. They died. But Boone and Shannon? REALLY?
                      Boone and Shannon died relatively young so yeah I could see them thinking those island relationships (as well as their relationship with each other) were the most important. I think the real question is....Why didn't Sayid end up with Nadia? He searched for her for years, married her and then she was killed. Heck he even joined up with MIB who promised to bring her back...

And where was Desmond's child? And Sun and Jins? Was Aaron there?
                      Little Charlie wasn't there (and if you notice, neither was Charles Widmore on the night of the concert....Eloise was, but he wasn't...although he WAS in the Sideways world previously).

Sun and Jin were pregnant in the SW (ok, just Sun was)...not sure how that was supposed to play out once they were "enlightened".

Aaron WAS in the church but that's baffling to me. He was living with his grandmother in Australia and he wasn't an infant as shown at the church.

The whole Purgatory thing and waiting on Jack so everyone could move on is just not sitting well with me. I didn't like it when I saw it and I still don't.
                      Jack died before Kate or Sawyer or Hurley....so it wasn't that they were waiting for him....True he was the last to be enlightened but he probably wasn't the first to arrive.

Christian said it was a timeless place...."There is no 'NOW'"....so I think that comes in to play somehow with everyone not dying at the same time but moving on together at the same time.

And by the way...what happens to the guys that Jin and Sayid killed in Purgatory? And what would have happend if Desmond had killed Locke with the Car, Sun had died of the gunshot wound or Desmond had drowned in the car with Charlie? Did those goons move on? Did they go to hell? From Sayid and Jin's actions in Purgatory, it sure doesn't seem like they were redeemed. Sounds like they were living the same old lifestyle. No character growth there.

Again, to paraphrase Christian...I think the purgatory was created by our Losties to help them find each other...so maybe it was a type of virtual reality they created where people like Keamey or Mikhail didn't actually exist in purgatory terms but as fascimiles created by the Losties.....Wow...getting waaay metaphysical here

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

And if anyone deserved to move on...it was Ecko. He HAD redeemed himself and given himself to God. It's crazy to say he and Michael were trapped on the island as voices continuing to pay for their sins. Doesn't anyone remember Ecko's redemption?

Was Eko actually named by Michael as an island whisperer? Or is that just a conclusion because he didn't show up? I think we also have to remember that some of the choices were due to issues with the particular actors. Eko for example left the show abruptly and Walt grew up too much for them to use him without explaning the growth. Plus if he had turned up in the SW, would it have been Malcolm David Kelley or someone portraying an older Walt?

Comment

• Paul Evans
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 19, 2001

I don't think Eko was ever named by Michael as being a voice. I think that was someone here that mentioned it.

But obviously, they were limited by what actors could come back or wanted to come back.

I guess we weren't supposed to remember Shannon's character and what she was really like. She KNEW people on the island didn't like her and thought she was a brat. Why would she want to meet up with those people again? Her father who died in the car wreck seemed to have more importance in her life.

And you're right about Sayid. He gave up his SOUL to MIB for Nadia. If I was Sayid in Pergatory, I'd be asking where she was...considering he gave up his soul and all.

My roomies will be saddened to know that I really don't want to create an alternate universe/alternate reality/purgatory for us to re-unite and move on together. The guys were fun and we were there for each other, but I'd rather move on with my wife and kids, parents and sibs, neices and nephews.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

I guess we weren't supposed to remember Shannon's character and what she was really like. She KNEW people on the island didn't like her and thought she was a brat. Why would she want to meet up with those people again? Her father who died in the car wreck seemed to have more importance in her life.
                            Originally she was like that...but once they hookd her up with Sayid her character became more likeable.

Maybe her dad already moved on. I got the feeling that because these folks were all tied to the island and it's magic mumbo-jumbo that's why they were able to create their own purgatory and wait up for each other to arrive.

Comment

• Paul Evans
                              Career Member
                              • Jun 19, 2001

As a father, I would NEVER move on without my kids. I'm assuming, of course, I had a choice.

Of course, if pergatory existed, I think the turnstile would be constantly moving...

Mumbo-jumbo? Sounds like an Austin Powers line of dialogue. Yeah Baby! I just got my mojo back!

Comment

• megoscott
                                Founding Partner
                                • Nov 17, 2006

Despite my emotional satisfaction from the finale, sadly, the Sideways just doesn't hold up to this kind of scrutiny...which increasingly makes it seem like they spent all of this season devoting half of each episode to something that wasn't that important. It was fun to speculate on at the time, but now that it's done I'm not sure it was worth it considering what they COULD have been doing with their time. It really was purely to give the viewers a chance to say goodbye to the core group--the writers wanted that to be Season 1 Losties and their loves Penny and Juliet. Why Locke doesn't get Helen, I don't know.

I can accept the idea that Nadia was an illusion--Sayid thought she was his soulmate and went through hell in pursuit of that idea--and it turns out it was the leggy blonde all along.

We all created this world so we could find each other again and move onto the afterlife together. Ennnnh. My heart loved it, my brain needs...a rest.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎