Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rcbats1
    Banned
    • Nov 1, 2005

Excellent!...couldnt have said it better myself! I loved the ending and Jack is my Hero!

Originally posted by MegoScott
    It's been a rough day for me. I tried to stay away from the internet as best I could, because I didn't want the negative reaction to affect my experience of the finale, but it was impossible. I don't mind the anger or disappointment that real fans feel, it's the people that stopped watching three years ago who go out of their way to diss a show they know nothing about. The suggestion that anyone wasted 6 years of their lives watching this is ludicrous and insulting. But after all these years I still take internet snarkiness personally, it's a problem.

I really, really love the characters in this show. The finale was a wonderful farewell to all of them, I was wiping away tears all through the last hour, it was great. That wonderful musical theme has been on a loop in my head ever since. Each awakening in the Sideways world was a beautiful goose pimply catharsis. The creators made their point most clearly that for them it's about the characters, not the mythology and by that standard it was a huge triumph.

The Island adventure in the finale was character driven, I loved the great showdown between Locke and Jack--the conversation when they first met and Jack said he'd kill him was fantastic. I loved the scene between them when they lowered Desmond into the light--"You disrespect John Locke by wearing his face". Jack was AWESOME in the last half of this season.

Ben was great, I knew that walkie talkie would come back to save the day. I'm glad he got his redemption--but he has a lot to atone for, my God. He's gonna have to stay in SW for a long time giving Rousseau foot rubs to make up for all that he pulled.

Of course Hurley stayed behind, how could it be otherwise? I was surprised that he and Ben stayed on the Island and presumably ruled for years, because Darlton said they wouldn't leave an opening for Lost Part 2. I can see Lost having expanded universe novels or comics in the future like they did with Trek and Star Wars. There's literally thousands of years of Island adventures you could create. We could be rounding out this mythology for the next 50 years.

There is no doubt that they left a LOT of holes in Lost. They had plenty of time this season to touch on some of the big nagging questions...but they didn't... I don't know why that DOESN'T bother me. I understand why it bothers a lot of people, and it saddens me to think that for some of them the whole experience has been ruined. I just accept it and am happy with what they gave me, and for me it was a very rich experience I wish I could articulate better, but the internet is full of brilliant writing about Lost, so I don't have to.

Some great things have been posted here, by the way, thank you. I really loved the ride, I loved checking in on this thread and posting bad theories and lame speculation.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

I'm not sure what to make of the Island being underwater in SW. The bomb was a red herring in the SW world, but I am glad that it didn't re-set everything in real time.
      Since it was their collective purgatory maybe it was some type of symbolic analogue on their part that they didn't need the island...what was important was that they met and found each other and forged relationships. They managed to find each other and re-ignite memories and feeling without the island being a part of SW. I guess if you look at it, it was the ISLAND that was the red herring all along...
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Favourite moments.

Jack and fake-Locke showdown in the rain at the edge of the cliff. Right out of the best samurai movies. That final shot of Jack flying through the air with his fist raised before they cut to commercial.

Sawyer and Kate going all Butch and Sundance off the Cliff.

When Juliette showed up and was revealed to be Jack's ex. It was great that they got her for the finale.

Rose and Bernard telling them they wanted no part of their drama. Content to be living in peace together on the Island.

Locke getting up out of his wheelchair and telling Ben he forgives him.

Jack making Hurley the Guardian of the Island because he takes care of people (vs Jack who saves people).

The final scene when the Dog lies down next to Jack and we get a call-back to the close-up of Jack's one eye that opened the show initially.
        Last edited by samurainoir; May 25, '10, 10:54 AM.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I agree with Scott too. the lack of explanation of some of the mysteries does not bother me. sure it would be cool to understand but that is just human nature. bottom line is, this was one of the best and most thought provoking TV shows ever created and will be talked about for a long time to come.

Comment

• megoscott
            Founding Partner
            • Nov 17, 2006

I think the "answer" I missed the most was clarification on Eloise Hawking. She was there at the end and I fully expected her to have more of a presence, especially after her first encounter with Desmond when she was obviously aware of what was happening in SW.

I'm still confused about what her encounter with Desmond was about when he went to buy the ring for Penny, how she knew everything that was going to happen like she was some kind of time traveler, what her role was in sending the 316ers back--was she working with or against Widmore, how were she and Ben allied.

I'd guess that because Daniel wrote in his journal "Desmond Hume is my constant" she and Widmore knew Desmond was important, and thus conspired to keep him away from Penny and get him to the Island on the boat race. Widmore was funding Daniel's time travel work, I wonder if Eloise experimented on herself? How was she out of time like that?

So yeah, the Widmore/Hawking story felt like it was never properly addressed. I suspect they planned it but it got cut in the time crunch.
            This profile is no longer active.

Comment

• megoscott
              Founding Partner
              • Nov 17, 2006

Damn good article on the finale, sums up my feelings well: The Last of LOST | Toms MAD Blog!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

So yeah, the Widmore/Hawking story felt like it was never properly addressed. I suspect they planned it but it got cut in the time crunch.
                Much like Widmore himself was quickly dispatched in the penultimate episode

Comment

• megoscott
                  Founding Partner
                  • Nov 17, 2006

^^ That was frustrating and an opportunity lost.

Comment

• megoscott
                    Founding Partner
                    • Nov 17, 2006

Former Lost writer's take on the Finale. Lots of good stuff here.

http://designwoop.com/2010/05/lost-f...xplained-well/

Comment

• Paul Evans
                      Career Member
                      • Jun 19, 2001

I think there are/were two types of LOST fans:

1) Those who were really invested in the characters. Not to say they didn't enjoy the island mysteries as well, but the characters were more fascinating and they were able to overlook plot holes and enjoy the finale and it's closure.

2) Those who were more into island mythology. Not to say they didn't really like the characters too, but the Dharma stuff with bunkers and temples and statues were more up their alley. These people were more likely to quit watching somewhere along the 6 seasons and were more likely to feel cheated or disappointed with the ending.

I don't think there's anything wrong with either type of fan. I think both types are represented here.

I guess I was a Type 2 (plastic joints, LOL) and while I enjoyed the characters, I really felt like the writers were beating a dead horse showing flashes of the same characters time and again. I could only take so many Jin, Sun or Kate flashes before I was pretty dang bored...regardless of how much I loved the show. And while Jack was redeemed at the end, I was screaming for him to be killed for like 4-5 years. I know too many people just like him for me to really cozy up to him and actually enjoy the guy.

But in the end, what's done is done. I enjoyed watching the show for 6 seasons and it had it's ups and downs, great parts and not so great parts. For those of us that were Type 2s, there was really no way out for the writers to satisfy us...they'd written themselves into a corner long ago.
                      "They say no man can resist them."

Comment

• megoscott
                        Founding Partner
                        • Nov 17, 2006

Well said, Paul. For myself, I was always interested in the mythology, I was always interested to see what would be revealed and how they would resolve or fail to resolve what they had written. But without the well written, well acted characters I'd never have been able to keep coming back. Weird things happened in the show, but they were really just plot devices to set up dramatic situations to challenge the characters.

Comment

• megoscott
                          Founding Partner
                          • Nov 17, 2006

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                          What exactly was going on with the island at the bottom of the ocean in the Sideways world? I originally assumed it got there post-Jughead when the "alternate reality" was created but since it turned out it wasn't an alternate reality created by Jughead then what caused the island to sink? Is it because it's purgatory, there was no need for the island anymore, since I guess it served as the source for souls? I'm confused.....
                          From Doc Jensen's column, this feel right to me:

So why was The Island in the Sideways world at the bottom of the ocean in the season premiere?
                          My Theory: The Sideways world is a manifestation of the castaway soul cluster's collective yearning. They wanted a world where they never crashed on The Island. They wanted a world where The Island had no sway over their lives. Ergo, their purgatory paradise reflects that yearning.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

^^ That was frustrating and an opportunity lost.
                            Just like you have questions about Eloise, I have questions about Widmore....

- We know WHY he was exiled (he fathered a child with an off-islander) but how did he get to the island in the first place? Recruited by Richard, on behalf of Jacob? If so, I assume then he was a Jacob acolyte at one point and lost his way in his vendetta against Ben. Supposedly Jacob approached him at the end and he realized the errors of his ways.

- Was he unable to find the island again? Is this why he was bidding on the diary of the first mate from the Black Rock? For co-ordinates? Which also begs the question how did the diary get off-island in the first place?

- Did he intentionally drive Desmond Hume to the island? I wonder if Libby gave her boat to Desmond at the request of Widmore?

- What exactly where the rules set up between Ben and Charles and how was Ben able to kill him eventually when originally it was thought they could not harm each other?

- His funding of Daniel's research...Was he aware of Daniel's final fate because Eloise told him? (I think this might have actually been confirmed in episode)

- Why again did he place a fake Oceanic plane at the bottom of the ocean, including bodies? To prevent people from looking for the Oceanic 815 survivors? WHat made him think someone would be able to find the island when he himself apparently couldn't originally?

I'm sure there's more....

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

From Doc Jensen's column, this feel right to me:

So why was The Island in the Sideways world at the bottom of the ocean in the season premiere?
                              My Theory: The Sideways world is a manifestation of the castaway soul cluster's collective yearning. They wanted a world where they never crashed on The Island. They wanted a world where The Island had no sway over their lives. Ergo, their purgatory paradise reflects that yearning.
                              Hey I got one right!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                                The Packaging King
                                • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Paul Evans
                                I think there are/were two types of LOST fans:

1) Those who were really invested in the characters. Not to say they didn't enjoy the island mysteries as well, but the characters were more fascinating and they were able to overlook plot holes and enjoy the finale and it's closure.

2) Those who were more into island mythology. Not to say they didn't really like the characters too, but the Dharma stuff with bunkers and temples and statues were more up their alley. These people were more likely to quit watching somewhere along the 6 seasons and were more likely to feel cheated or disappointed with the ending.
                                I think I'm more of a Type 2.....I liked the character flashbacks/forwards but as you said, how many Jin/Sun or Kate can you see....or ones that explain someone's tattoos....

But then again, there are other characters who I would watch all-flashback shows if possible, like Jack (except for the aforementioned tattoos), Sawyer, Charlie, Desmond, Hurley, Locke.

I was definitely into the mythology....just ask my wife who quickly tired of my old-loud questions at every turn in every episode I never expected her to have the answers, but I just liked/felt the need to put the questions out there.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎