X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoNinja
    Career Member
    • Feb 7, 2007

So why are YOU here?

I would like to know, and I am sure this has been a thread before (I might have even made this ages ago, bad memory), but why does every one come to the forum again and again? What exactly made you join up and why do you keep coming back to this forum?
    I hate forums. I used to spit on them because I couldn't see the point in talking to a bunch of strangers over the internet, but I now I see the light. I am now a member of this place and rebel scum.com (the MM being WAY better than the other). I am going to be honest, the real reason I ever joined up here is because I was looking around the place and saw some one was selling a spidey car in the market place for $4 (it was totally trashed, but it was gold to some one who knew little about Mego's). So I signed up in hopes of getting more great deals. I was right, I have gotten many great deals, including people giving me free t1 and t2 bodies, free parts when I need them, even people going as far to give me a free Dracula (mint, original, complete) and a free Shazam (mint, complete, some repro).

Now I come back here every morning because I know most of the people here, so it is really fun to share my opinions of collecting (and complaints) and to catch up on the Mego world, like stupid ebay auctions and new mego discoveries.
    So then, why did you join and why do you keep coming back?
    I the Monster Hero
  • Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

I was just doing some internet searching for Mego Treks and all of a sudden --- I found the Mego Museum.

Mego Museum's galleries intrigued me.

I found myself coming back here at least once a day just to look at the gallery pictures and read info.
    Almost like a favourite book you can't put down.

All of a sudden out of nowhere, I noticed Mego Museum had a forum......

I joined up (first forum I ever joined)

It was neat....... I met Palitoy, Megotu, Shane, Joe and a few others at the time...

What initially attracted me after I first signed up was the Museum's custom forum.

Thought it was the coolest thing in the world (still do).

The rest is history

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
      MeGoing
      • May 14, 2003

I am here to keep you under control Gabriel.

Comment

• txteach
        Banned
        • Jun 17, 2005

I'm here for the booze and chicks, oh, and because I love mego.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

I heard the pie was pretty good here!
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• mitchedwards
            Mego Preservation Society
            • May 2, 2003

I came here looking for help to remove ink off a RC batman I just bought off E-bay. The rest is history

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• theantiquetiger
              Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
              • Nov 12, 2005

I was court ordered.....Long story short, that supergirl doll told me she was over 18, turned out she was a CVTV re-issue.
              sigpic

Comment

• WannabeMego
                Made in the USA
                • May 2, 2003

Unlike most places, they keep the toilets clean over here

Seriously...Great dialog and exchange from honest and sincere people.

The rooms are always full of inner-children roaming the boards
                Last edited by WannabeMego; Dec 10, '07, 9:54 AM.
                Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

• HardyGirl
                  Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                  • Apr 3, 2007

Actually I was here (sort of) a LONG time ago, as this was a link to the defunct Yesterdayland.com. The only things I saw were the Christmas pics, the story about Scott and his Dida, and got some advice about restringing T1s, and how to get an ape's head back on the body from someone (maybe Scott). Later, I found the Gallery Map w/ the rollover icons and enjoyed that. Eventually I realized there was a forum attached to that, and I started lurking and then I became a member. I love this place. It's nice to know that adults (besides me) collect and play w/ toys. The people are nice, and I'm learning a lot about Megos I never knew before. And I really admire the folks who have the time, patience and finances to make customs. I never knew folks did that. And hopefully out of this, I'll be able to meet some more Bay Area members (already met Scott), so it's all good!
                  "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                  'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                  Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                  If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Flynne
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jan 22, 2003

I've known about the Museum since the late 90s being on the Levy lists, but I joined the Museum boards because I love Megos and it is fantastic to be able to discuss that love with others who understand and share it. It's a great community of people who hang out here and I have made some wonderful friends through both the boards and, most especially, Mego Meet. There is nothing that compares to sitting down and breaking bread with someone you chat with here. If you can by any means make it to the Meet this year you owe it to yourself to do so.

New things are uncovered here all of the time, and you cannot beat the accuracy and volume of content the Museum holds about all things Mego. Scott, Brian, Joe, DaveMc and others make sure that not only that things stay the same, but also that it grows and spreads that collected knowledge and joy to the World at large. Everyone here contributes to that in some way, either large or small, and that is truly what makes this not only the Smithsonian of Megos but also the best darn place to hang out on the Net. It's my favorite virtual place to be!

I came for the Megos, but I stayed for the pie. I like pie. :D
                    An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

This guy named Joe was pushing a couch into a van and I noticed he had a broken arm. I gave him a hand, when I came to I was in this well chained to a computer. A voice said "It will moderate or it gets the hose"....
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• David Lee
                        The Fix-it-up Chappie
                        • Jun 10, 2002

I bought Brian a coke in 1994 and he never paid me back, I came looking for him and just stuck around...

Seriously, I am a throwback form the old Robert Levy List, as well as the YAHOO spawns... Megos rock and this place is THE place to be for them.... So that's why...

Satisfied?

Comment

• PCofmisfittoys
                          Banned
                          • Oct 17, 2007

I came originally to try to get a set of cards for a close friend of mine that sold all his MEGO's through the years to help pay bills. But due to the lack of help if your a " non-mego" collector I gave up.
                          Now i come in just to have fun and enjoy the conversation.

Comment

• jessica
                            fortune favors the bold
                            • Nov 5, 2007

I think I used to look at the POTA in the megomuseum, and then stumbled across customs and decided to join. Then, one thing led to another and now I'm on a mission to clothe all of the apes I can get my paws on with film-accurate clothing. This group has a great team of very creative people and it's nice to know that there are others who are just as obsessed as me. I have been obsessed with POTA since I was 8, so that's quite a long time...and playing with the Megos keeps my dreams alive. I am also learning a lot of stuff here.

I have a blog if you guys are interested in what I am up to: Itching to be Knitting
                            Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                            Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                            1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                            1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• JDeRouen
                              Author of Small Things
                              • Jun 14, 2001

My wife found the Museum for me way back in 1996 or 1997 (little did she know what she was getting me into) and then I discovered eBay and the Robert Levy mailing list and started buying Megos galore! The forums associated with the Museum were awful back then, full of flame wars and such, and very hard on the eyes in terms of usability.

At some point several years ago, (2001?) Scott mentioned he needed a new home for the Museum. I volunteered my server and decided to build a new forum to replace the old one at Raving Toy Maniac, where the Museum itself was hosted in the 90's.

Even then, I didn't like forums! I created it, did maintenance on it, but rarely posted, preferring the Yahoo mailing list (now owned by me after the Levy list went away) to the forums. Eventually I saw the light, and now read and post here - not to mention moderate and upgrade and host - several times a day.

I'm not sure what I was thinking. The forums, even the old Ikonboard version, are much superior to the mailing list. I guess I was just so used to the mailing list that it took a while for me to realize how much better the forums were!

I've made a lot of good friends here - Brian, Scott, Anthony, Dave, Paul Clare, and Mike, just to name a few - and rarely even talk to the few folks that are still on the mailing list anymore!

Joe
                              --
                              Order Small Things, my contemporary fantasy novel featuring Megos, at http://joederouen.com/?page_id=176

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎