X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Movie Watch 2024

Since there are movies that are not SF or horror, but still worth talking about.

Civil_War_2024_film_poster.jpg
    A journey across a dystopian future America, following a team of military-embedded journalists as they race against time to reach DC before rebel factions descend upon the White House.

Boyfriend & I went and saw Civil War today. We happen to see a news clip where Kirsten Dunst talks about a scene where she had with her husband Jesse Plemons. She also described the movie as a group of journalists try to record the latest American war. The movie starts in while America is at war with itself and takes you on a ride that war journalists go through. As a retired photographer the movie brought back some memories (some good some bad) and that is what I liked about the film.
    ​​
    Last edited by monitor_ep; Apr 11, '24, 11:19 PM.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Today we did a double feature:
    monkey_man_ver5_xlg-819x1024.jpg
    An anonymous young man unleashes a campaign of vengeance against the corrupt leaders who murdered his mother and continue to systemically victimize the poor and powerless.

Our second movie was Monkey Man. I grew up watching BBC programs, so I was familiar with Dev Patel work. This movie is compared to John Wick or any of a Jason Statham film, and it feels like it. The story was there but the action is what you remember most. This film is going to get passed over thanks to the other big budget movies. This was supposed to air on Netflix but went to the movies. It worth seeing the action on a big screen.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• earthlings
      • Feb 26, 2024

Originally posted by monitor_ep
      Since there are movies that are not SF or horror, but still worth talking about.

Civil_War_2024_film_poster.jpg
      A journey across a dystopian future America, following a team of military-embedded journalists as they race against time to reach DC before rebel factions descend upon the White House.

Boyfriend & I went and saw Civil War today. We happen to see a news clip where Kirsten Dunst talks about a scene where she had with her husband Jesse Plemons. She also described the movie as a group of journalists try to record the latest American war. The movie starts in while America is at war with itself and takes you on a ride that war journalists go through. As a retired photographer the movie brought back some memories (some good some bad) and that is what I liked about the film.
      ​​
      Was this worth watching???

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

To be truthful this should have been a direct to streaming movie. There are only two people you will recognize. Don't go in trying to understand the war, they never do explain it. We enjoyed it but we understood the idea of the movie.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I recently watched "Raw Meat," a 1972 movie starring Donald Pleasance.
          I've seen bits of it before and have read about it a bunch. It's about sub-human Cannibals in the London underground.

It's a well filmed if slightly plodding film. I thought this would be a bigger scale, like a whole "Sawny Bean Family" thing, but it's a much smaller movie.

Donald Pleasance carries this thing as a working-class police inspector; his performance has a lot of layers, and it's nice to see him play a Cockney character. There is also a scene in a pub where he gets drunk that feels a little too real. Christopher Lee has the smallest cameo that legally allows you to put his name in the credits.

Speaking of the credits, the movie has a haunting and somewhat sleazy score, which helped with its grimy look.

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• libby 1957dog
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 3, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
            I recently watched "Raw Meat," a 1972 movie starring Donald Pleasance.
            I've seen bits of it before and have read about it a bunch. It's about sub-human Cannibals in the London underground.

It's a well filmed if slightly plodding film. I thought this would be a bigger scale, like a whole "Sawny Bean Family" thing, but it's a much smaller movie.

Donald Pleasance carries this thing as a working-class police inspector; his performance has a lot of layers, and it's nice to see him play a Cockney character. There is also a scene in a pub where he gets drunk that feels a little too real. Christopher Lee has the smallest cameo that legally allows you to put his name in the credits.

Speaking of the credits, the movie has a haunting and somewhat sleazy score, which helped with its grimy look.

hey brian wow i thought i was the only one who'd remember this one lol

i saw this back in 1972 in the old ritz cinema in town when it was on its first run

at 14 i found it creepy and it ruined the london underground for me forever lol

it was called death line in the uk back then heres the uk trailer

Last edited by libby 1957dog; Apr 16, '24, 7:30 AM.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
              Career Member
              • Jun 8, 2015

DISCOVERDALE

I saw this back in 2012 at the CIMM Fest here in Chicago and it is a comedy/Mockumentary ala Spinal Tap! It's about a goy/"kid" who thinks his dad is DAVID COVERDALE (of Deep Purple/Whitesnake fame!) Who of course is also in a band, himself!! So he and his band go on a journey to find Ole Codpeice and confront him! Does it happen? You have to watch the film and see what happens! I am FINALLY getting this on dvd, after all these years! Screw Streaming!

Gravitas Ventures have announced the immediate release of the Discoverdale Mockumentary in the United States. European release date not announced yet.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                Career Member
                • Jun 8, 2015

Remembering GENE WILDER (2023)

Is a doc that somehow I missed out HERE in Chicago, and believe me I looked and was ready to travel for it, but it IS coming out on DVD in a few months. SO I will get to see it hopefully soon! After watching the trailer it looks really dashing!!! Getting back to my Documentary roots!!!

The Official Trailer for the up-coming documentary "Remembering Gene Wilder" coming soon!Please follow us on Twitter @RememberGeneOur website: https://genew...

Remembering Gene Wilder documentary film, a warm tribute to actor Gene Wilder.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I watched "Late Night with the Devil" last night. I'm not much into movies about this kind of thing, (mainly because most of them these days are cheap and thoughtless.) However, this one looked well made. It was set in the 70s, and my wife and I are both fond of the film's star.

I would recommend it, not because it's "Really Scary" but because of Dastmalchian's performance. As the posessed girl, Ingrid Torelli makes you uncomfortable for much of the film.

However it doesn't take itself too seriously and a couple of the actors are a bit hammy and stagey, which I think is intentional.

I won't spoil the ending but it's worthy of discussion.

Comment

• drquest
                    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                    • Apr 17, 2012

4/26 was Alien day due to LV-426 the planet from the first two movies. Due to this year being the 45th anniversary they released Alien back in the theaters and your local theater may have a showing of it. I'm planning on taking my boys to see it today. I've seen it in the theater before, and have seen it countless times at home, but somehow seeing it in the theater is just a real treat.

I may wear my vintage Nostromo Brett cap to the theater.

Alien-Hat-L.jpg
                    Danny(Drquest)
                    Captain Action HQ
                    Retro shirts and stuff
                    More retro shirts
                    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

"Dance of the Dwarves" AKA "Easy Flyer" is a movie I have never heard of before. It's essentially a remake of "African Queen" with Peter Fonda as Bogart and Deborah Raffkin as Hepburn. It's shot in the Philippines, but, surprisingly, it seems to have a decent budget.

It's about a killer tribe of "pygmy" creatures with wings, I was expecting something totally different than what we end up with. They creatures reminded more of monsters from Space:1999, which i dug.

John Amos shows up as a witch doctor (I'm not sure why since this is clearly Asia) and when he says to Deboarh Rafkin, "What are you doing here?" I also wanted to ask him that.

My only complaint about this movie was no Vic Diaz cameo, what a great loss.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

Boyfriend & I just got back from watching IF.

"A young girl who goes through a difficult experience begins to see everyone's imaginary friends who have been left behind as their real-life friends have grown up."

It was a beautiful family movie that you just do not see much of at the theater so go and enjoy it. In general I do not watch much of Ryan Reynolds movies. He was cast in two movies that just were wrong for him (Green Lantern & Blade). This was surprising a toned down version of him and he did his character justice.

It does include the voice talent of Louis Gossett Jr in one of his last works and at the end of the credits they give him honor.
                        PXL_20240516_225749621.jpg

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

sounds interesting. i have not even heard of this movie

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

Boyfriend & I rewatched The Fall Guy on digital and it was worth the it. It's what I expect for a summer popcorn movie with all the action/adventure/explosive movie but was overshadowed by the other named movies. Plus, I think this came out too early, if this came out during the summer this may have had more audience attending during the week.

We did get to see this at the theater, but we were given tickets to review it under somebody else name, so we didn't post it.

Watch the credits because they show the behind=the=scenes of the movie and the mid-credit scene is the "chef kiss" to the movie!

fall guy movie.jpg
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

Double feature 2nite:
                              Boyfriend & I just finished watching Jason Statham Beekeeper:

One man's brutal campaign for vengeance takes on national stakes after he is revealed to be a former operative of a powerful and clandestine organization known as "Beekeepers."

Jason Statham movies are great date night movies. You do not have to overthink the movie because Jason is going beat up or kill people and escape at the end of the movie. All you need to do is cuddle up with your significant other and just zone out watching the action.

The_Beekeeper_poster.jpg
                              Last edited by monitor_ep; May 23, '24, 12:32 AM.
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎