Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

^World War Z opens too, although it's gotten mixed reviews as well, as far as I know. I don't get the appeal of this one, but then I'm lost on the fascination with zombies.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

It will be interesting to see what kind of legs MOS has. I liked it a lot and have seen it twice, but I've talked to some friends who are movie goers but not comics fans who liked the movie but were too exhausted by it to want to see it again at the theaters.

It was a grim, focused story that is obviously playing well, but will it generate the desire for multiple viewings at the theater among the general public needed for it to fly into the $300 to $400m range domestically for it to truly be considered a blockbuster these days?

I'm tempted to suggest a bit lighter tone like The Avengers, but then thinking about Green Lantern where Warners tried to have some levity mixed in with the drama, I think " I better be careful what I wish for."

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I'm inside the theater right now...10:17...movie starts at 10:40...I can't sit still, lol.
        sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
          Eloquent Member
          • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by madmarva
          It will be interesting to see what kind of legs MOS has. I liked it a lot and have seen it twice, but I've talked to some friends who are movie goers but not comics fans who liked the movie but were too exhausted by it to want to see it again at the theaters.

It was a grim, focused story that is obviously playing well, but will it generate the desire for multiple viewings at the theater among the general public needed for it to fly into the $300 to $400m range domestically for it to truly be considered a blockbuster these days?

I'm tempted to suggest a bit lighter tone like The Avengers, but then thinking about Green Lantern where Warners tried to have some levity mixed in with the drama, I think " I better be careful what I wish for."
          I agree. A good first weekend. But these movies give a better indicator of what they'll do the following weekend. And with the Monsters sequel coming out next, there's no doubt MOS will bow to that film on it's sophomore weekend. But the drop is what to watch here. That tells us if the first weekend was front loaded by hype or if WOM is strong enough to keep the business coming back. Foreign markets will be equally important to watch. I think as long as it can keep it's drop under 56 to 57%, it should be okay. More than that, it won't have legs to stay in theaters all that long. The summer schedule won't allow for big halls to remain half full. And theaters will delegate to smaller screens if that happens. But we're not there yet. Should be interesting to watch.

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

I know several friends who wanted to see MOS before they took their kids to see it. If parents did test the waters and then do allow their kids to go, the film could have a few good weeks, but I can't see families passing up Monster University for any other film this weekend. The Brad Pitt zombie flick doesn't interest me at all, but among movie goers, I'm probably in the minority.

But I'm eager to see what route Warner takes with a sequel. In some ways, I like to see a straight sequel, but I think something really cool could be done with a Superman/Batman movie.

Comment

• cactus725
              Caped Crusader
              • Feb 8, 2010

Ok I'm going to weigh in here....I thought Cavill's portrayal of the Big Blue Boy Scout was EXCELLENT!!! I can see this guy as Clark..He's big enough, and moral enough ( as we all know Clark to be ). I liked, as mentioned earlier, bringing Lois in early and giving her more weight! It's been pointed out that Supes would have took the fight away from the populace...which he would have, but in this telling of the origin story, this is his first encounter!! It appeared that he was winging it through the entire battle. My problem with the killing of Zod (which BTW I thought Michael Shannon was GREAT!) was that my wife, who knows very little of Superman except for Chris Reeves, asked me in the theater " Why didn't Superman just snap his neck in the beginning? " It was a little too easy...anyway I'm a fan. No Clark is not the wise cracking Tony Stark, but the scene where he destroys the spy drone is great! LIKED IT!! It's going to be hard to tell the story of someone who can't be beat ( except by Batman..right Hector?) I think they did a good job retelling the story...and I never missed the trunks on the suit like I thought I would. Haha

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Looks like many of you were right on the money with Superman killing Zod leading to his "non-lethal force" code. I haven't got to read listen to the interview yet, but this sounds very intersting.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

So after I saw the movie, I went to Sears to buy a Nikon camera, and then I went to IHOP for a nice meal.

Not really sure why I did this.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Does IHOP have a tie-in with this? I know Hardes's does, but I haven't seen any IHOP connection, which is weird, because that Smallville IHOP is VERY prominent in the film. Ask for Pete Ross to seat you!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• chazz530
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 20, 2013

their was a lot of stuff about the movie & a lot I didn't but the one thing that really annoyed me was the fact that the PZ villains were super powered as soon as they reached earth. Covered in armor & barely on the planet there is no way They could have absorbed that much solar energy that quick to be so powerful.
                      Come see my items for sale at:
                      http://Webstore.com/~Chazz530

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

They could have absorbed yellow sun rays at any point when they reached our solar system and the lighter gravity would come into play as soon as they entered Earth's atmosphere. Now the part about Earth's atmosphere being less harsh and more nourishing, who knows.

That's why I think you just have to go with the explanation and accept that physics, chemistry, biology and all laws of nature are just different in any fictional world if you are going to enjoy sc-fi without nagging questions. Even if it is inconsistent in the movie. Maybe being in the phantom zone altered their physiology?

Earlier Tom made the point about Lois falling to Earth for Superman to save while everything else was getting sucked into the PhantomZone including the airplane se fell out of.

It bugged me for a second while watching, but I just accepted it and went on. Now, that's just my philosophy on it.

But,yeah, there were inconsistencies and contradictions that could draw you out of the story, like many sci-flicks, if you let it. No doubt the movie has holes that should have been plugged during production.
                        Last edited by madmarva; Jun 19, '13, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Operation:Mego
                          I'm the Star Spangled Man
                          • May 21, 2011

sigpic
                          The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

He killed Zod in the comics. It is in character, end of discussion.
                            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

^Well, I guess the mods can just lock this thread down, now--yeesh.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• cactus725
                                Caped Crusader
                                • Feb 8, 2010

Well, I guess the mods can just lock this thread down, now--yeesh.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎