Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knight errant00
    8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

I posted my spoiler-free review over on the spoiler-free review thread and at my Author Page:

To jump in on some of the points made here, where there's no fear of spoilage:

Things I liked:

Cavill was good. He fit the role. I won't compare him to Reeve.

I loved the 1940s vibe to the 'S' design.

Crowe was good, and I actualy loved his portrayal of Jor-El. I especailly liked his presence as a hologram/super program, and it made him even cooler than his butt-kicking earlier in the film.

Krypton was cool and weird and awesome. The dragon seemed so old-school comic book it didn;t bother me at all, and kinda reinforced Jor-El as old-fashioned -- y'know the kind of guy who'd have a kid the old-fashioned way instead of through the birth matrix.

Diane Lane made a great mom and a strong female lead. And yes, and both of those combined with the fact she's Diane Lane, did make her hotter than Amy Adams, even in spite of the excessive old-age make up.

Zimmer's score was a great new take. Up there with Willams' and Walker's themes, but something contemporary and different.

The action and portrayal of powers was outstanding.

Zod was a great new take. More evil than Stamp's? No way. More determined, more mean? Yeah. Stamp's Zod was driven by ego and madness. Shannon's Zod was driven mad by his duty, and his utimate his failure to succeed in it.

I loved the joy in him the first time he donned the suit and left the Fortress (call it what you will, that's what it was).

I loved how, in the end, the whole film was an introdcution to Clark Kent. and I loved the final image of how Jonathan Kent could see who his son would one day become.

What I didn't like:

Amy Adams was bland. I thought afterwards even with the way the part was written, a more charismatic actress (Angelina Jolie 10 years ago or Diane Lane 15 years ago) could have pulled that part off and made you remember Lois.

Kevin Costner's Jonathan Kent was driven as much by faith in his son as fear for him, and it hurt the character. Some say it was realistic. I say he's the guy who raises a foundlling to be Superman, and he has to be exceptional. Glenn Ford nailed it in the '78 version and Costner's death in this movie was senseless and didn't make sense. I know it's meant to get the love and trust the two have across, but it seemed staged and didn't work. I've made it a point to avoid comparing MAN OF STEEL and SUPERMAN, but on this part -- I cry every time I see Glenn Ford's Jonathen Kent tell Clark about his purpose and then die (hell, I'm tearing up now). Costner left me going "Wait, wha -- "

Jor-El's death was a surprise, but I didn't like at all how it left Lara alone to face her death in the desctuction of her planet all by herself. It's sad enough anyway -- let them at least die together.

They missed the opportunity to introduce kyptonite into the story -- I figured when Superman collapsed on Zod's ship, it was from some kind of Kryptonite poisoning (with Kryptonite the fuel they mined from Krypton's core that ultimately destroyed the planet) and theothers were immune because they weren't born naturally. That would have also left a great set up for kryptonite "out n the wild" after the ships were destroyed.

There was too much of what Don (CTC) likes to refer to as the teeth-gritting "aarrgh, I'm acting" approach to the acting in the movie. Really, folks, you can smile sometimes and not mumble or shout lines so much.

The ending was tiring me out. I love action as much as any red-blooded movie fan from the 80s but yeesh, they were pushing TRANSFORMERS 3 levels of no rhythm to it but just gogogogo.

And the infamous fate of Zod. I don't want to see it play out in another movie, and I think it was the filmmakers giving themselves space to gauge reaction before any continuations. If audiences love a Superman who snaps villains' necks, they can go "yep, not your daddy's Superman, but a hard-edged Supes for the modern audience." If they react poorly, it's "well, it was a tough decision for him, and will shape his code in the next movie." I'm OK with it happening IF the circumstances and reaction were right, which they weren't. For example, I kept waiting for Superman to put his hand or arm over Zod's eyes to stop him. Let's say he did, agonizing from the blast, Zod twisting in his grip fo he can't fully block the beams. It gets more intense. Superman bevomein more desperate. Zod twists and clips the mom, and as she screams, Superman also cries out, jerks -- and Zod collapses dead. Superman lets out and anguished cry. Lois runs to him, holds him, tries to assure him as he weeps over wehat he just did that he had no choice. "Never again," Superman says, "I'll always find another choice." Show it in that moment actually shape that decision, and I'm OK with it. Leave it open, and he's just another action hero, how had to take out a bad guy. That's not Superman, not to me, and as I said in my review, I'm not sure how I'd have reacted to it as a kid or how my kids would have reacted to it when they were smaller. I think with that move, they made it an adult Superman not really appropriate for younger kids, and excluding kids from Superman seems not right.

Never got used to the texture on the suit. And I still miss the red trunks.

A few missteps, but yeah, they got it mostly right, and I had a good time taking my son and his friend to a Superman movie.
    Last edited by knight errant00; Jun 20, '13, 5:02 PM.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Check out this review. I absolutely love it. I about p*ssed my drawers. If this doesn't nail it, nothing will.

While Man of Steel has been a box office success, its interpretation of Superman has divided some critics and fans. In hopes of bridging this gap, I have decided write down Man of Steel’s most important scenes for further discussion. (Warning: My memory may be a tiny bit off, but I’m pretty sure this is how things…

Comment

• Operation:Mego
        I'm the Star Spangled Man
        • May 21, 2011

ABSOLUTELY FREAKING HILARIOUS!!!
        sigpic
        The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• spacecaps
          Second Mouse
          • Aug 24, 2011

That. Is. Dead. On. If anything, it's funny cause it's true.

“Dark and tortured” and “Superman” never belong in the same sentence, unless that sentence is “Superman met his dark and tortured friend Batman for coffee.”
          "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• torgospizza
            Theocrat of Pan Tang
            • Aug 19, 2010

I saw it today and liked it quite a bit. The huge amount of devastation of the battles was kind of numbing to the fact thousands died in those fights in Metropolis and Kansas. It also struck me that although Supes seemed like a good enough guy, he wasn't the guy I grew up admiring. F.ex., after he stole the clothes, I thought to myself, "Chris Reeve would pin some money back up on the clothesline before the movie's over." I also thought Zod was not so much evil as just a product of his society, quite literally--he was genetically engineered to do exactly what he was doing. I don't know how free will would even come into play for a guy like that. I'd have more luck growing hair on my bald patch through sheer concentration than he would easing up about Krypton's survival.

Comment

• B-Lister
              Eccentric Weirdo
              • Mar 19, 2010

SUPERMAN.
              KILLED.
              ZOD.
              IN.
              THE.
              COMIC.

It's in character. It's your daddy's Superman. It happened. It's not new, shocking, or out of character.
              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Operation:Mego
                I'm the Star Spangled Man
                • May 21, 2011

^^ Exactly!! I completely agree.
                sigpic
                The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• madmarva
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jul 7, 2007

^ When Byrne had Superman execute Zod and his cohorts, many Superman fans felt that story was out of character. Among Superman readers, it was a big controversy. The story was published prior to the world wid web going mainstream, but the fuss was played out in the letters pagesof the Comics Buyer's Guide at the time and perhaps in other fanzines.

But Superman's guilt over the action was handled by having him go on a self-imposed exile from Earth. once Superman returned from his exile, the pocket universe and PZ villains were kind of ignored and one could argue it was eventually lost from continuity all together with the various continuity fixes like Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis and the New 52.

There are important differences in the way the execution was handled in the comics and the killing of Zod was handled in the film.

First, the PZ villains in the comic were from another dimension, labeled a pocket universe, created by the Legion villain known as the Time Trapper. Those PZ villains not only invaded the pocket universe's Earth but killed everyone one on the planet and vowed they would do the same to the regular DCU Earth. Once rendering the, powerless, Superman acted as judge, jury and executioner by exposing them to green Kryptonite. It was a conscious, intentional, punitive and preventative action.

In the film, Superman's killing of Zod is a gut reaction or a snap decision in the heat of battle. It could be prosecuted as manslaughter or even second-degree murder. It could even be construed as a byproduct of war - Krypton was invading. Or from the Kryptonian point of view, treason and murder.

Superman could even claim it was an accident, that it wasn't his intention to kill Zod, just to make sure Zod didn't zap that family with his heat vision. Not fully realizing his strength, he snapped Zod's neck by mistake.

From a dramatic standpoint, I think it was a good choice by Snyder and Goyer, Nolan and Warner Bros., but the film takes a very different angle than the comics, although I'm guessing the eventual resolution might be the same-a no killing code. I do hope it's addressed in the sequel and not just left out there or ignored.

But I do understand why some fans think it was a poor choice and just plain out of character because for 40 or more years of Superman continuity, the execution and the purposeful killing of another were not a part of the Superman stories many knew and grew up with.
                  Last edited by madmarva; Jun 22, '13, 7:50 AM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^It's completely ignored by just about everyone, but in Superman Family #186-187, the Earth-One and Earth-Two Superman are forced to merge together to defeat an interdimensional alien invader who is destroying the Earth. They overload the guy with energy and he goes boom. They consciously killed him. It was written by Gerry Conway and drawn by Curt Swan. Now THAT is your daddy's Superman...or for most of us, OUR Superman!

I can't see where MOS' Superman killing Zod is any worse or more criminal than Byrne's Superman. If anything, I feel the Byrne incident was more out of character and suspect, since he literally acted as judge, jury and executioner. If I recall correctly, Byrne's Superman was aware of their reaction to Gold Kryptonite (which didn't affect him since it was the Pocket Universe/Earth-One type). He had time to consider options of depowering the Zoners and taking them into custody or imprisoning them somewhere. His choice of death by Green K was premeditated. MOS' Superman made a snap (pardon the pun) decision, much like a police officer or soldier would in a similar situation.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

I have no problem with Superman killing Zod or any villain.

The problem is scale and tactic.

The i09 piece nails it; Superman would not wage a war that devastates millions. He's "Super" or above the average person in every way, so he would think of a method that stops the villain and spares the populous.

But, for me, it's becoming apparent they started focusing on the DCU groundwork moreso during development, than they admit.

The logic behind the Codex and The Fortress does fall apart until you consider the larger implications for the human race.

Kryptonians knew about Earth, and at some point, a Kryptonian from the Fortress walked among early man, right when the last glacial period ended.

This means anyone from Adam and Eve forward, could be Kryptonian. Either way, it implies people have Kryptonian DNA buried somewhere inside.

Include the codex as a genetic key to unlock the matrix, and whammo, whoever has the code possesses the ability to be metahuman.

This makes every classical myth god to Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Shazam, direct desecendents. While metahumans like Flash have latent Kryptonian DNA which can be activated under certain circumstances.

Add tech deriving from alien races, such as Luthor's battlesuit, and perhaps Brainiac and Metallo, and you got the pieces to rationally explain almost any character or anything to occur in the DCU.

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

Okay, even if Superman killing Zod is out of continuity it still happened, and even if that doesn't count are we forgetting DOOMSDAY?

Superman killed him for the same reasons he killed Zod in MOS, and it also happened in downtown Metropolis. They didn't take the fight to some remote location to preserve life.
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• madmarva
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jul 7, 2007

Good point, Chris, about those issues of Superman Family. I don't recall that story, but it kinda goes to show that despite what is canon or not, we all pick and choose what Superman is or isn't to us based on our preferences and our knowledge of the character. I probably read those issues, but the story didn't stick with me.

I have less of a moral issue with Superman's killing of Zod in the movie than the circumstances Byrne set up in the comics, although the feared consequences were ultimately the same. I don't care for the judge, jury and executioner aspect in Byrne's setup. superman was acting more like a cop in the film, although no one had given him the authority to do so. Whatever a prosecutor might claim, he killed in an effort to save others, which isn't premeditated murder.

But I get why Superman killing Zod rubs folks like Mark Waid wrong, not that his view is any more important than any other fan's since he currently is on the outs with DC. He'd probably have issues with that Conway/Swan story from Superman Family, too. No doubt he's read them. And it's documented he did care much for Byrne's reboot.

In Waid's Birthright series, the fact he made Superman a vegetarian bugged me - I like meat - but it also points out how important the no killing code was to Waid because he expanded it beyond the scope of humans.

Hedrep, you hinted at the alien explanation for meta humans in a previous post and it certainly jibes with seeds Goyer and Snyder have coyly planted in interviews. I had briefly thought about the implications of Kryptonians on Earth in ancient times while at the movie but hadn't thought of it since or extrapolated it as far as you.

So all the super-natural or super-powered beings of myth/history were of Kryptonian descent with the more powerful ones being a purer breed than the more normal. Makes sense.

I liked the Sci-Fi vibe of the film but I hope they don't make the Kryptonian DNA a huge plot point in a Flash, Aquaman or Wonder Woman film, particularly if they make the individual films first. The connection could be exposed in JLA film as a revelation or just be left more as an undercurrent.

B-Lister, you're right on the Doomsday fight, too.

I think so many come to Superman from so many different sources and most of those sources weren't as dire or consequential as the ones set up in MOS, and some fans were uncomfortable with it or hated it or whatever.

But the box office, to this point, has shown many were at least interested in a Superman film of this tone and more than a few embraced it enough to want to see it again.
                          Last edited by madmarva; Jun 22, '13, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by MIB41
                            Check out this review. I absolutely love it. I about p*ssed my drawers. If this doesn't nail it, nothing will.

http://io9.com/the-most-important-sc...emem-516405346
                            Yep -that about sums it up.

Superman Live best to worst:

the best-
                            Superman 1 and 2

Adventures of Superman B&W and color
                            Lois and Clark first few seasons
                            Smallville (except freak of the week and Lana running the dinner episodes)

acceptable for portions-
                            Superman serials
                            Superman Returns
                            Man of Steel <<<<<< Yep, that's were I rank this
                            Superman 3

not so good but still fun-
                            L&C wedding crasher on
                            Superboy
                            Steel
                            Superman 4
                            Smallville FotW and Lana running the coffee shop

the bad-
                            supergirl

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

Cool. Here's how I rank live action Superman:

Man of Steel.

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

I love Supergirl because Helen Slater is just too adorable, yes, horrid movie, but she makes it very watchable for me, lol.

Smallville is the worst...simply because it's not Superman to me...never will.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎