• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Yet Another Attempt at a Wonder Woman TV Show

From Newsarama:

It looks like Wonder Woman might be making a return to prime-time network television — again.

More than a year after NBC passed on a Wonder Woman pilot, Vulture reports that a new series starring the DC icon is in very early development at The CW, with the working title of "Amazon." It's said to be at the script development stage at this point, written by Allan Heinberg — a TV and comic book veteran, whose credits include The O.C. and Marvel's Young Avengers, plus a 2006 run on the Wonder Woman comic book.

The series is said to be a Smallville-esque take on the character, depicting Wonder Woman's early days. Wonder Woman became a household name with the Lynda Carter-starred series that ran on ABC and later CBS for three seasons, from 1976 to 1979; Ally McBeal creator David E. Kelley's 2011 Wonder Woman pilot starring Adrianne Palicki received a mix of abundant pre-release hype and persistent bad buzz, and was ultimately not picked up as a series.

The CW, and its predecessor The WB, has a long history with live-action adaptations of DC Comics properties. Young Superman series Smallville ran for 10 series between WB and CW before wrapping up in 2011, and the short-lived Birds of Prey aired on the WB in 2002. Arrow, based on Green Arrow, is set to debut on The CW on Oct. 10.
    Sounds like a little bit behind the curve...considering Heinberg wrote "Wonder Woman" 6 years ago...
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I don't think Wonder Woman is well-established enough in modern media to go the "untold story" route for a whole series like Smallville. Remember, Superman:The Animated series had only been off the air for about a year or so before Smallville began, and Lois and Clark had only been off for about 4 or so.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

^ I don't know. Why not start at the beginning? It would give room for a movie to delve more into the super heroics, if that ever happens. But if it takes place on Paradise Island, there won't be a male love interest unless she dates gods and demi-gods. As far as established, most of the Marvel characters weren't either before the films, other than Spider-man or X-Men.

I'd still like to see a TV series about Bruce Wayne training to be Batman even though Batman Begins touched on it.
      Or even a Dick Grayson TV series sort of like the one that fell through, but have him go back to the circus after retiring as Robin but before taking on the Nightwing persona. He could travel the country or even the world, fighting crime and chasing chicks. He could have a babe of the week.
      Last edited by madmarva; Sep 7, '12, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• jds1911a1
        Alan Scott is the best GL
        • Aug 8, 2007

Hasn't this been done with Xena? But seriously Smallville wasn't bad but do we really need more costumeless hero drama (and no I don't count hoodies and sunglasses as a costume unless it's Vibe

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

^If it's at or above the quality of Smallville, I'd watch it or at least try it. The big question is would it be accepted by a more general audience than a super hero nut like me. Considering what's in the theaters and the genre-type shows across the board on the networks and cable it might have a puncher's chance. I mean a quick 2-paragraph description of Buffy the Vampire Slayer sounds like an awful or at least very limited idea, but the character development, themes and ideas the show played with made it a standout series and had it rise above the teeny-bopper, horror genre into one of the most intelligent, thoughtful and funny shows of its time.

Yeah, I think Xena would probably be a starting template for the take on Wonder Woman as it's being described in the article Anthony posted, unless it's going to be her in the "man's world" before actually wearing the traditional or non-traditional Wonder Woman garb, but if it's that, it's stretching pretty far from the origin.

But, Wonder Woman hasn't been a tremendously successful property for DC since probably the 1940s or 50s. Maybe the comics got a bump from the TV series in the 1970s. If so, it certainly wasn't as popular as the Superman series in the 50s or Batman in the 60s. Perez did a great job re-imagining her 25 years ago, Rucka did some decent stuff and Azzerello's take has been very good — perhaps the best book of the New 52 — but if it is like anything, it's a more serious version of Xena.

So, maybe some TV writers could offer a more viable and entertaining take on the character than has been seen in the comics for some time? Probably not, but the optimist in me says maybe.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
            OH JES!!
            • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            I don't think Wonder Woman is well-established enough in modern media to go the "untold story" route for a whole series like Smallville. Remember, Superman:The Animated series had only been off the air for about a year or so before Smallville began, and Lois and Clark had only been off for about 4 or so.

Chris
            I think they're just feeding off the Lynda Carter series since most non comic book readers refer to that.......so I'm seeing that this will be like Xena. in which she may fight monsters,Demons,and Demi Gods. if so that's not a bad way to go rather than a Boring azz one hour show of drama with a few minutes of her in costume. here you may have her in a warriors costume close to her WW garb and maybe instead of a contest she has to complete a quest.....if they go that way I'm in.

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

I find it interesting that DC/WB tries to homogenize these characters and are afraid to really "comic book" it up for TV....I mean even the titles are generic, "Smallville", "Arrow" and now "Amazon". Cripes, even the aborted Aquaman pilot was "Mercy Reef"...I think that's part of DC/WB's problem...They've been afraid to embrace their roots for a long time. Like it's not cool to be a "comic book" company...

Is it wrong to long for the days of "Batman '66", albeit without the camp?
              Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Figuremod73
                That 80's guy
                • Jul 27, 2011

Well since Xena's been off the air going on ten years now and Legend of the Seeker seem to have ended prematurely, a "quest" style superhero show would work well IMO.

I really wish they would use the Perez version as the model for it though. I think i remember hearing a few times in the 90s using the Perez model in a TV show, but technology wasnt really at the point where it would be possible.

With all the talk of a live action Star Wars TV show, this would be a good chance to jump ahead of the competition.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                  Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                  • Mar 15, 2008

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                  I think they're just feeding off the Lynda Carter series since most non comic book readers refer to that.......so I'm seeing that this will be like Xena. in which she may fight monsters,Demons,and Demi Gods. if so that's not a bad way to go rather than a Boring azz one hour show of drama with a few minutes of her in costume. here you may have her in a warriors costume close to her WW garb and maybe instead of a contest she has to complete a quest.....if they go that way I'm in.
                  Going the "Xena" route should be a no-brainer. Ideally, it should be more Wonder Woman, less Diana Prince, and trash the "Smallville" formula. Do the origin as part of the intro to the show, and jump right into the present day with the action stuff.

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                  I find it interesting that DC/WB tries to homogenize these characters and are afraid to really "comic book" it up for TV....I mean even the titles are generic, "Smallville", "Arrow" and now "Amazon". Cripes, even the aborted Aquaman pilot was "Mercy Reef"...I think that's part of DC/WB's problem...They've been afraid to embrace their roots for a long time. Like it's not cool to be a "comic book" company...

Is it wrong to long for the days of "Batman '66", albeit without the camp?
                  Not wrong at all, and I concur. You've got WB and all their resources, and I find it amazing that instead of a proper Superman series, we got (and this is my opinion) a dull, pedestrian drama. WB should embrace the superhero drama, go all out with the costumes (and make 'em LOOK like the classic comic costumes - I swear, cosplayers can knock these outfits right out of the park, and WB can't get their acts together? Are you kidding me?), all out with the action, and I guarantee you'll get the numbers they want.

Besides, a beautiful woman in a star-spangled one-piece, showing a decent amount of skin? Fighting monsters? They'd OWN the male demographic for the time slot! To say nothing of the women who need a new role model to watch now that Xena's not on the air.

Plus, hey, Xena had Gabrielle, so why not throw Wonder Girl in, too?
                  Originally posted by Figuremod73
                  I really wish they would use the Perez version as the model for it though. I think i remember hearing a few times in the 90s using the Perez model in a TV show, but technology wasnt really at the point where it would be possible.

With all the talk of a live action Star Wars TV show, this would be a good chance to jump ahead of the competition.
                  THIS. Perez nailed it, and the tech is here now to put a reasonable facsimilie on the TV.
                  "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• Figuremod73
                    That 80's guy
                    • Jul 27, 2011

Oh btw, the part of Julia (think that was the name of the person who befriended Diana) should be played by Lynda Carter. Now THAT would really be a hit with alot of people.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                      OH JES!!
                      • Jul 21, 2005

^^^^^^ I would prefer if Lynda played WW mother. i think that would be a better role for her......

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                        From Newsarama

Sounds like a little bit behind the curve...considering Heinberg wrote "Wonder Woman" 6 years ago...
                        that's not the kind of Juice that counts in network TV... I'm sure his Grey's Anatomy and Gilmore Girls credits are much more important than his short WW comic run to the execs.

Also keep in mind what's been successful... Smallville, and what hasn't been when they try something more straight up comic book... Birds of Prey. I'm not saying a more comic book approach can't work for a Wonder Woman tv show, but they certainly can't replicate The Avengers, Dark Knight, or Spiderman on Tv with a limited budget for effects, stunts etc. Of course the networks will try to graft on previously successful formulas onto new shows. The success of Smallville came from the WB/CW's attempt to find a replacement for Buffy, and I think Smallville owes as much to Buffy's formula as it does to Superman.
                        Last edited by samurainoir; Sep 9, '12, 1:00 AM.
                        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Cosmicman
                          Permanent Member
                          • Jul 12, 2005

Sounds like an excuse to publish Wonder Womanesk type stories but not use the secret "Wonder Woman" name.

This will be like that hunk of **** Smallville and they will call her Diana for like 9 years and she will have powers and you won't see a Wonder Woman costume on "Diana", as long as they can run it without someone complaining. Pretty close?

They'll have this mad scientist woman turn up that turns into a Cheetah woman from splicing DNA. Diana has to stop once in awhile but they will never call her Wonder Woman. Diana will have to stop this mad Cheetah woman every so often.

Then we'll be visiting the Amazon island a lot. Lots of hot half naked, "sweaty wet" (sometimes horny) woman (as far as TV can push is without being dirty). There'll be some horn dog name Steve Trevor that shows up and he likes Diana but remember everybody, she won't be called Wonder Woman. This is Diana. TV is so predictable.

Oh sure, they'll probably give her the lasso and flying powers (maybe) because I'm sure this show that wants to stay family happy will avoid and invisible jet.

I've been thinking. They will run this **** show for 9 years. Even develop a fan base because of the half naked women and a love for this "Diana". No Wonder Woman name or costume will be used. She'll be wearing an outfit like this....remember she's just an "Amazon' LOL

Remember, half naked women make money and give men woodies......Diana will raise lots of money with stupid people. Just take away the "Childish Wonder Woman" theme like they did with Smallville and half America will be hooked on a lady that will look something like this....Sad but I'll bet they go this route.

[img]http://images.couplehalloweencostumes.com/sexy-warrior-babe-costume.jpg[/img]
                          Last edited by Cosmicman; Sep 9, '12, 7:58 AM.
                          More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• Mego Magyar
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jan 17, 2011

Originally posted by Wrathdemon
                            Lots of hot half naked, "sweaty wet" (sometimes horny) women (as far as TV can push is without being dirty).
                            I'M IN!

Comment

• Figuremod73
                              That 80's guy
                              • Jul 27, 2011

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                              ^^^^^^ I would prefer if Lynda played WW mother. i think that would be a better role for her......
                              I wouldnt mind that either. Has she even been given a chance to do voice work in any of the cartoons?

I've been thinking. They will run this **** show for 9 years. Even develop a fan base because of the half naked women and a love for this "Diana". No Wonder Woman name or costume will be used. She'll be wearing an outfit like this....remember she's just an "Amazon' LOL
                              I call this "how to make a successful show without really trying". No wonder WB/DC is losing all their readers (and probably viewers, as well)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎