That Carl Guy
    • Apr 24, 2002

Liefeld leaves DC Comics

Discuss
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Thank goodness. That's mean.
    I wasn't reading any of his titles. Never really have, except a couple of issues of the Hawk and Dove mini he did with karl Kesel way back 80s or early 90s.

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Not a fan but I do find it interesting that he's leaving because DC editorial is a disaster. Another one bites the dust. I think in the long run this recent DCnU reboot will prove to be an utter farce...
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Hmmmm, didn't realize Morrison is leaving as well...

Comment

• Random Axe
          The Voice of Reason
          • Apr 16, 2008

DC lost the worst artist in their history since I don't believe Al Milgrom ever worked there. I suppose Deathstroke's feet suddenly reappeared after a four month absence. This may be nothing to DC, but I see this as a damning sign since Perez expressed the same story. The sinking of the Titanic began with a small leak on the portside bow...could be a leak named Rob.
          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

When the trains leaving the tracks, best to just risk it and jump out.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Perez, Morrison and Liefeld all leaving or gone. Guess there is trouble in NuImage Didio,Johns, and Lee land. It not really like the Titanic, more like the Exxon tanker with an idiot or three at the wheel.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Random Axe
                The Voice of Reason
                • Apr 16, 2008

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                Perez, Morrison and Liefeld all leaving or gone. Guess there is trouble in NuImage Didio,Johns, and Lee land. It not really like the Titanic, more like the Exxon tanker with an idiot or three at the wheel.
                It's like a three-tiered tanker truck filled with plutonium, anthrax and jet fuel driven by Billy Joel.
                I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

A drunken Billy Joel.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

DiDio needs to go...period. His leadership has been hemorraging DC readers for years now. Jim Lee should be offered some type of "golden parachute" and cut loose. Or ship him off to some small cubicle in the video game development division. Besides his artistic abiliity, I never understood why he was given such positions of leadership at DC (he's not an Infantino or a Giordano after all). Geoff Johns I would think is still salvageable. He has shown in the past that he is capable of taking DC history and spinning it for a new audience. Although he seems to have more misses lately than hits....

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Love those three creators or not, those are some big losses for DC, not sure if the big wigs at Warner understand that or not. Maybe when Marvel's relaunch or whatever they call it kills DC this fall someone will get it.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

^ True...Perez, Morrison and even Liefeld are more high profile than Lobdell, Harras, DeFalco, Niceiza and all of the other clowns that are now working for DC

Comment

• madmarva
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jul 7, 2007

From what I've read, Morrison's reasons for leaving aren't the same as Liefelds. Morrison has said he wants to move away from super heroes and work on creator-owned material, one book that DC wil be publishing. Perez didn't leave. He dropped out of writing and breakdowns on Superman. He's still drawing half of World's Finest and is supposed to have another project he's working on for DC. Liefeld evidently did feel the same frustration with last minute editorial changes that prompted Perez to leave Superman. However, to my understanding, Liefeld was writing three books and penciling one of them. That's a lot of work for one guy in the modern age of comics, and hasn't he always been kind of flighty? Wasn't he one of the Image guys that always had material solicited that never was printed? I may be miss-remembering that.

Look, I'm not defending DC. I'm just not sure that all the lines being drawn necessarily connect, particularly with Morrison and Perez.

I don't like much of what's going on at DC, either. I didn't think Harras was much of a hire when they promoted him from being the collections editor. I don't mind cronyism, because that happens in most organizations, but the work of a lot of his cronies just doesn't light a fire under me. Why didn't Eddie Berganza get the job?

I'm with you guys on Didio. I like some of the things he did earlier in his tenure as editor of the DCU — allowing Jordan to be GL again, Wednesday Comics, 52 — but for every success there's probably 3 failures. He's chased off or let a lot of talents like Waid, Rucka, Brubaker, Busiek and others walk. He didn't get much out of the Kuberts while they were exclusive to DC and totally wasted Bagley on Trinity. Characters like Martian Manhunter, Hawkman, Atom, Wally West Flash and Teen Titans were damaged while he was editor.

As for Lee, most of the time I like his art. Did not care for his redesigns of the Big 3's costumes. What his influence is as publisher, I don't know. Haven't got a clue.

I think Johns is an excellent super hero writer. However, by blowing up most of DC's continuity, he lost one of his best tools. The best things he's done, to me, is to mine bits and pieces of continuity to spark new ideas and make connections where no one had before. I do think his scripting was better when he wasn't stretched as thin as he is now. He did a nice job of picking talent to move West to DC Burbank offices, but DC's comics product has been hurt by losing veteran editors like Mike Carlin.

While I'm mostly a super hero reader, I think the best thing DC's done with it new 52 is add variety to its lineup. I think it's good that there are some horror books and at least one war and one western in their lineup. But, I'm still wondering how Gotham is considered the west with the Jonah Hex strip?

I'm reading about 10 DC titles now, but Wonder Woman and Aquaman are the only ones that I think are better now than before the switch was thrown on the DCU.
                          Last edited by madmarva; Aug 23, '12, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                            That 80's guy
                            • Jul 27, 2011

At least he wasnt kicked out this time.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

Wow when a crappy artist doesn't want any part of you...you know things are starting to hit the fan.....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎