Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

I think you're in line with Snyder's thinking. Another problem is money. Legendary might leave the WB deal, which is as close to earth-shaking as it gets. The loyalty and trust from Nolan, Snyder, Goyer, Bale, etc...all resides with Legendary.

But, supposedly SDCC is going to have massive announcements from the whole team.

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by madmarva
      They can say what they want, but from the clips I've seen, this film has far more of a sci-Fi/fantasy look to it than a majority of the superman material ever presented on film or TV. The opening scene of the second trailer looked like something out of Star Wars or Dune. In other scenes, there is at least one huge space ship attacking earth. The fortress of Solitude is evidently a space ship. There's crazy, fantastic and unrealistic stuff going on all of the screen. The color palate of the fiLm looks muted to me which is less realistic than the four Reeve films.

When the director, producers and actors of Man of Steel say grounded, I'm interpreting that as being more serious in tone rather than grounded in reality. You can't make a realistic Superman film. But you can make one that is serious in tone.

And for that matter, Nolan's Batman movies are no more realistic than the 66 Batman series, but they are more serious and particularly the Dark Knight had more serious themes.
      "Muted color palate" = "Safe" They are obsessed with leaving no room for a guffaw at the expense of the "cool-factor" of this movie.

That kinda keys into what you had to say about "grounded" being "serious toned" as opposed to "realistic".

However, your discerning brain doesn't really match up to the mainstream audience's... most moviegoers will perceive "serious" AS "realistic" (essentially interchangeable)---- and that's their goal here: Make Superman what Nolan made Batman: More palatable for a larger audience, many of which would run the opposite direction if they had to live with the rep of seeing "a silly superhero movie". And I don't have a problem with that ... 50 percent of the time
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

My point about grounded as code for serious tone rather than realistic goes back to the discussion about how Marvel's product being more relatable thus superior to DC's because Marvel uses a fictional New York as a setting rather than a fictional cities like DC.

Warner executives have used the word "grounded" in a slightly different context in speaking about Man of Steel. I think they are speaking about the tone of the film. The Sears sign that appears prominent in shots of a destroyed town has nothing to do with grounding the film in reality as Diane Neilson alleges in a promo or setting the tone. It's about branding pure and simple. Sears has a co-promotion with MOS.

My point about muted color was merely to make the point that the film was not truly striving to be grounded or realistic. I do think it's trying not to be labeled "comic bookish" hence the move away from true primary colors and the changes in the costume among other things.

I do like what I am hearing and seeing, but I do hope that in the attempt to be grounded, serious or Nolanesque that Snyder and the Warner execs didn't drain all the joy and wonder out of character. I find it fundamental to Superman's appeal.

I do like that the word "hope" has been so prominently used in the promotional material.
        Last edited by madmarva; Jun 1, '13, 1:25 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Oh, and someone screencapped a giant arriving with Zod. Some mo-capped Non. No we have Kal vs Goliath.

Check out this Target exclusive figure gift set. Apparently the giant is Namek, who is a Phantom Zone villain from the comics:

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

JLA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Avengers

sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hector

A movie that doesn't yet exist (and may never exist) trumps the Avengers?

I'm worried about you Hector.
              I think your case of Superman fever is becoming serious and may have possibly caused brain damage.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 20, 2011

Wouldn't it just be the ULTIMATE in geek moments, theatrically, if DC/WB can get a JLA movie series going and somewhere down the road, DISNEY and WB got together and decided to really go for broke and do a JLA/AVENGERS movie!?! Sure, it's only (very) wishful thinking, but can you imagine the excitement that such an event would spawn???
                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Right now, Hector, I'm of THIS mind, compadre...

MAN OF STEEL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THE AVENGERS

I'm really thinking that could be the case if all goes well...
                  sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Operation:Mego
                    I'm the Star Spangled Man
                    • May 21, 2011

Just one word: Wow.
                    sigpic
                    The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
                      A movie that doesn't yet exist (and may never exist) trumps the Avengers?

I'm worried about you Hector.
                      I think your case of Superman fever is becoming serious and may have possibly caused brain damage.
                      Yes, because I wasn't crazy about The Avengers, I found it overrated.

Saw it twice (theater/Blue ray), have no need on seeing it again for a long while...especially when it turned into a Transformers movie near the end, lol.

The best thing in the movie was Scarlett Johansson.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                        Right now, Hector, I'm of THIS mind, compadre...

MAN OF STEEL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THE AVENGERS

I'm really thinking that could be the case if all goes well...
                        Might not beat the Avengers' box office take, but it will EASILY be the superior film, you see, Superman trumps Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Hulk...not even a contest in my book.
                        sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

Might not beat the Avengers' box office take, but it will EASILY be the superior film, you see, Superman trumps Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Hulk...not even a contest in my book.
                          At this point, I don't even CARE whether MOS comes close to making the money THE AVENGERS made (though it would be great to see it make at least TDKR money), all I'm hoping for is a Superman film that REALLY knocks the audiences socks off and makes them say "Iron Who...?" I think this film has the serious potential to do that and reawaken the love of the character within a lot of people. I'm inclined to agree with all the other comments I've heard; Superman, as a character, should represent that there IS someone out there who is inherently good, can right wrongs and bring justice to those who require it all the while being a beacon of hope for the planet. I wasn't sure that THIS incarnation of Superman, with his muted colors and more somber tones, could do that, but now I think he definitely can. Henceforth, despite what the box office numbers say, MOS>>>>>>THE AVENGERS.

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

Looks like we're finally going to get a true superhero tight that takes advantage of all three axes of movement.
                            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by B-Lister
                              Looks like we're finally going to get a true superhero tight that takes advantage of all three axes of movement.
                              Most certainly!! That's the one thing I had confidence in regarding Zack Snyder from the get go: he will ensure that you'll get camera angles and fight scenes likely never seen in a super-hero movie before!

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

The only thing I'm worried about are those super fast fighting scenes, it might be too much for some movie audiences...hope they combine that with the more traditional slower paced fight scenes were you can see the action in a bit less hectic manner.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎