X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • huedell
    Museum Ball Eater
    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by madmarva
    I guess the natural tension between Jor-el and Jonathan Kent is now " traditional" because it was a plot point in Smallville, lol.
    Ha. Never saw an episode. No wonder I was confused. I'm not a Smallville fan, but, indeed I concede ya haveta give 'em credit for their successes. Hopefully anything lingering will continue to help the franchise.
    "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by madmarva
      http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/mo...eid=auto&_r=2&

New York Times article on Man of Steel
      Great article! Between that and the latest trailer, my interest meter is now waaay up. I'm past curious. I'm teetering on becoming confident in what I'm hearing about the treatment. That article really put me in a good place with regards to thinking it's more focused on a true character study (like Dark Knight) rather than a reworked gimmick. We might actually get a person of substance behind this tale, instead of a misplaced and adopted God in a cape. That being said, we still have to see whether this film has any dues to pay for the short comings of 'Returns'. If it turns out as good as it's looking for MY tastes, I hope others will embrace it. But, like anything, all movies are not for everyone. I loved the Dark Knight series and it made crap loads at the box office. But I hated Iron Man III, yet it's making crap loads anyway. So, we'll see how this pans out. I'm hoping for the best, because it sounds like they're FINALLY bringing some fresh ideas to the Superman table. Fingers remain crossed with hopes for the best.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I think WB is marketing this movie very well. Lots of tie-ins to really show the general public "This is an EVENT. Go see this." I feel like there is a lot of anticipation for this movie, outside of our circles.

And I feel this will be a good film. I got to see the long trailer yesterday in a theater in front of Trek. I got that tingly goosebump feeling again, despite having watched it online several times.

I'm ready for June 13th!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• huedell
          Museum Ball Eater
          • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
          Great article! Between that and the latest trailer, my interest meter is now waaay up. I'm past curious. I'm teetering on becoming confident in what I'm hearing about the treatment. That article really put me in a good place with regards to thinking it's more focused on a true character study (like Dark Knight) rather than a reworked gimmick. We might actually get a person of substance behind this tale, instead of a misplaced and adopted God in a cape. That being said, we still have to see whether this film has any dues to pay for the short comings of 'Returns'. If it turns out as good as it's looking for MY tastes, I hope others will embrace it. But, like anything, all movies are not for everyone. I loved the Dark Knight series and it made crap loads at the box office. But I hated Iron Man III, yet it's making crap loads anyway. So, we'll see how this pans out. I'm hoping for the best, because it sounds like they're FINALLY bringing some fresh ideas to the Superman table. Fingers remain crossed with hopes for the best.
          My personal prediction is that this movie will be a homerun... or at least a "strong triple".

I thought Batman Begins was flat while Rises flat-out stunk. I give some credit to TDK, but that's more due to the inherent greatness of The Joker character and Nolan's/Ledger's spin on it. Characterwise, Superman is like The Joker. Too interesting to screw up... especially on a reboot opportunity....

.....which brings me to what you said about "Returns"... no one remembers Returns... not "really remembers", because it was FAR from an "offensive" addition to the Supes mythos. Confusing? Yeah. But embarrassing in ANY way other than "Is this a reboot or a sequel or a remake? And what's with the kid?" --nah. So, Returns' impact is not going to be an issue. There was more possibility back when Returns was released that Supes III and IV were gonna be an issue DESPITE the fact that much more time had passed. But "Returns" in the context of MOS?---nah.

The public is gonna get exactly what they want. "A thoughtful take on a superhero." And they're gonna love it.

Me? I don't swing that way..... buuuuut, like TDK, MOS may have enough cool ideas surrounding what I see as being one of the greatest fictional characters ever created (In TDK, that was The Joker, in MOS, Supes) to keep my interest... and MAYBE have me having chills or whatever greater emotion would be involved.

All that said, another personal thought is that (to me) they're gonna have a near IMPOSSIBLE chance at exceeding the incredibleness that was "Superman vs. The Elite". That movie is the best Superman movie ever made.

An a close second would be Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.... but, then again that's not really a fair entry cause that's more of a "DCU Holy Trinity plus Supergirl" movie than a Superman standalone.
          "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by MIB41
            yeah, hopefully Returns won't hurt this like Ang Lee's Hulk hurt Ed Norton's Hulk
            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• huedell
              Museum Ball Eater
              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              yeah, hopefully Returns won't hurt this like Ang Lee's Hulk hurt Ed Norton's Hulk
              Ugh. Lee's Hulk was horrible while Returns was watchable.... there's your tipping point.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Man of Steel is going to be the greatest film ever made...at least for me

And if not the greatest overall film ever, certainly the best superhero movie ever.

I just have that filling in my bones.

I get goosebumps everytime I see the trailer, especially at the theater, I can't friggin' wait for June 13th!!!
                sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by huedell
                  Ugh. Lee's Hulk was horrible while Returns was watchable.... there's your tipping point.
                  to you, maybe. Returns was bland at best, it couldn't be its own movie and tried too much to rely on the old ones for either nostalgia or whatever. It'd be like if Nolan made Batman Begins as a prequel to Burton's 89 movie. Lee's Hulk and Singer's Superman both failed to live up to the hype and led to reboots of the character instead of more sequels.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• huedell
                    Museum Ball Eater
                    • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    to you, maybe. Returns was bland at best, it couldn't be its own movie and tried too much to rely on the old ones for either nostalgia or whatever. It'd be like if Nolan made Batman Begins as a prequel to Burton's 89 movie. Lee's Hulk and Singer's Superman both failed to live up to the hype and led to reboots of the character instead of more sequels.
                    Even if I was to agree that Returns was "bland" ("Bland" actually makes sense if you fault SR for being a sequel instead of a true reboot)

STILL: To me, "bland" = "watchable".

And, yes, both Lee's and Singer's movie "failed" and led to reboots... but Lee's failed more spectacularly (compare the "rotten" reviews for both movies, comparatively Singer's seem like apologies for any negativity used by the reviewers).

Lee's was embarrassingly offpoint while Singer's was embarrassingly "on point" WITH the craziest twist an audience could fathom (Supes has a super-powered kid?).

That's why my theory is that if ANY flick was gonna have an effect on the reboot film, it'd be Lee's, while MOS, if it fails, will fail on it's on demerits because the mainstream looks back on Returns with ambivalence overall. Mainstream DESPISED Lee's Hulk on the whole... and for good reason.
                    Last edited by huedell; May 27, '13, 5:43 AM. Reason: Messed up the movie titles

Comment

• BlackKnight
                      The DarkSide Customizer
                      • Apr 16, 2005

Well I still Hate the Suit ...
                      But I saw some serious Caliber Fight Scene's I never saw Before with Zod ..., That have really peaked my Interests ,...that I am gonna give it a Shot in 2 weeks.
                      ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Toyroom
                        The Packaging King
                        • Dec 31, 2004

I know I'm going to see this but nothing I've seen so far has really got me excited. I'm going because it's Superman and I want it to be great. But as of yet I'm still not getting that "gotta see it!" feeling...
                        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

TV Spot 7

Interesting Kryptonian winged creature at around the 12 second mark...

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• huedell
                            Museum Ball Eater
                            • Dec 31, 2003

This is gonna make me look bad, but, I think:

"I just think he's kinda hot." > "You ARE my son."

(Around the 23 second mark)

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by huedell
                              This is gonna make me look bad, but, I think:

"I just think he's kinda hot." > "You ARE my son."

(Around the 23 second mark)
                              Actually, I think the statement made by the female soldier in the clip would probably echo the thoughts of a million other women on planet Earth if someone like Superman, who, aside from being tall, dark and handsome, is also noble, honest, bulletproof and can fly, actually became a public figure. Women worldwide would likely become a drooling mass of Superman worshippers!
                              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• huedell
                                Museum Ball Eater
                                • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                                Actually, I think the statement made by the female soldier in the clip would probably echo the thoughts of a million other women on planet Earth if someone like Superman, who, aside from being tall, dark and handsome, is also noble, honest, bulletproof and can fly, actually became a public figure. Women worldwide would likely become a drooling mass of Superman worshippers!
                                Meanwhile... I haven't seen the Kryptonian FEMALE villain in MOS, but I believe there IS one.

If she exists, like Supes old-school-flicks Ursa, she'd probably kill you for saying she's hot..... but she'd still have a worldwide fanclub of drooling guys anyways.

"Super-powered" plus "decent looking" equals "people throwing themselves at ya", good OR evil... that's just life

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎