Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the rock bottom worst Comic adaptations ever?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

^ Speaking of Clayton Moore, last week Svengoolie aired a Rocket Man (or something similar) serial chapter in which Moore played one of the heavies. I had seen him before without the mask, but it was neat to see him again.

I agree the production values were solid on Legend of the Lone Ranger, but Spillsbury just sank the project. How could a casting director or director go so wrong in putting an actor in the costume.

I couldn't make it through the WB movie. Dawson's Creek may work in Smallville, but not in the old west.

Comment

• Cosmicman
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 12, 2005

Vampirella was a classic. They have never been able to launch a decent series with her. The infamous "crotch bat" has taken on many forms but I don't think one realizes that shot that was originally posted is a "crotch bat" and with the pubes showing through the mesh screen and all. Must have been some kind of Showtime's attempt at an adult Vampirella look.
      Personally, I'm glad things have changed over the years. The whole Wookie thing never really was a major look on a gal for my tastes
      Thanks for sharing that pic Brian.

More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by madmarva
        ^ Speaking of Clayton Moore, last week Svengoolie aired a Rocket Man (or something similar) serial chapter in which Moore played one of the heavies. I had seen him before without the mask, but it was neat to see him again.

I agree the production values were solid on Legend of the Lone Ranger, but Spillsbury just sank the project. How could a casting director or director go so wrong in putting an actor in the costume.

I couldn't make it through the WB movie. Dawson's Creek may work in Smallville, but not in the old west.
        I guess Spillsbury fit the suit well....... Brady Bunch Johnny Bravo in joke....greg fit the suit....lol

Comment

• kingdom warrior
          OH JES!!
          • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Wrathdemon
          Vampirella was a classic. They have never been able to launch a decent series with her. The infamous "crotch bat" has taken on many forms but I don't think one realizes that shot that was originally posted is a "crotch bat" and with the pubes showing through the mesh screen and all. Must have been some kind of Showtime's attempt at an adult Vampirella look.
          Personally, I'm glad things have changed over the years. The whole Wookie thing never really was a major look on a gal for my tastes
          Thanks for sharing that pic Brian.

http://home.windstream.net/wbittle1/talisa.jpg
          I'm surprised with all the dumping of Costumes that Hollywood hasn't jumped on making Vampirella a hour long TV show......especially with all the Vampire craze these days......

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
            I agree. I used to watch it as a kid, sure... and I kind of liked it... but it just wasn't the true Hulk to me.
            The Hulk I knew was Bruce Banner. He talked and could throw tanks around and fought enemies like The Abomination and Zzzax.

It just didn't translate well to the small screen with its associated "scaling down" of concept and budget limitations, etc.

It bugs me that the most recent Hulk movie was kind of an updating of that show.

One day, I hope we'll get a Hulk movie that has Bruce being caught in a gamma bomb blast, and which will finally feature Rick Jones.
            I find this point of view very interesting. To me, "The Incredible Hulk" remains the greatest of all the comic adaptations simply because it surpassed the source material. The Hulk has had two quasi-flop movies already, and the reason is clear to me. On his own, the Hulk is simply not that interesting of a character. That is why his original book was cancelled after only six issues, and that is why they are constantly changing him from green to gray, smart to dumb, etc., etc. The other problem is Banner. The Bruce Banner of the comics is just not a likable guy.
            The TV series wisely dumped everything that didn't work. Making Banner a compassionate doctor rather than a bomb scientist was a huge improvement.
            So was scaling the Hulk's powers down to a believable level. In the TV pilot, the Hulk's rages are terrifying to watch. He is genuinely frightening, yet when he is calm, some of his tender scenes invloving children or animals remind us he's just a misunderstood gentle soul. I never got that from either the 2003 or the 2008 film. I like both the modern films for what they are, but the only Hulk for me remains Lou Ferrigno, and no one will ever be a better Banner than Bill Bixby. He made you CARE about what happened to him, and you wanted to see him cured.

Comment

• Figuremod73
              That 80's guy
              • Jul 27, 2011

Im a big fan of the tv show. I think of it as a elesworld type of thing. Ferrigno and Bixby did an amazing job and they did make you care about Hulk/Banner. The way it was written makes you WANT him to find a cure.

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

I agree with enyawd72. I think the show made the character more sympathetic than the movies or the comics (for the most part). I think Ang Lee was unfairly maligned for trying to make some kind of emotional story out of The Hulk, like the show had. I think his problem was that instead of going simple like the show his movie got too convoluted.

Of course, the main reason for The Hulk's reduction in strength was probably just budget related.

In Canada there was a show called "The Littlest Hobo" on around the same time, it was about a stray dog who traveled place to place helping people and then moving on when his work was done.

It's basically the exact same show as The incredible Hulk show, but with a dog:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGKSjiw0HQ

I enjoyed both shows though - and the "sad Hulk" theme from the end of the show has always stayed with me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUWgE0EVQ9c

Poor little Hulk...
                Last edited by Brazoo; Mar 17, '12, 2:50 PM.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                  OH JES!!
                  • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by enyawd72
                  I find this point of view very interesting. To me, "The Incredible Hulk" remains the greatest of all the comic adaptations simply because it surpassed the source material. The Hulk has had two quasi-flop movies already, and the reason is clear to me. On his own, the Hulk is simply not that interesting of a character. That is why his original book was cancelled after only six issues, and that is why they are constantly changing him from green to gray, smart to dumb, etc., etc. The other problem is Banner. The Bruce Banner of the comics is just not a likable guy.
                  The TV series wisely dumped everything that didn't work. Making Banner a compassionate doctor rather than a bomb scientist was a huge improvement.
                  So was scaling the Hulk's powers down to a believable level. In the TV pilot, the Hulk's rages are terrifying to watch. He is genuinely frightening, yet when he is calm, some of his tender scenes invloving children or animals remind us he's just a misunderstood gentle soul. I never got that from either the 2003 or the 2008 film. I like both the modern films for what they are, but the only Hulk for me remains Lou Ferrigno, and no one will ever be a better Banner than Bill Bixby. He made you CARE about what happened to him, and you wanted to see him cured.
                  Very well said, Lot's a Folks forget that it was Bill Bixby carried most of the show and he was an incredible actor. He was great doing comedy and heavy drama. He was such a likeable/ loveable actor that he was able to sell himself as Banner. because of the limitations of 70's tv, the show has a lot of cheesey effects that DON'T hold up well today. Ferrigno does make a cool Hulk but I never really dug the Beatle wig he wore always thought it was a bit silly. I do agree that in the pilot when he changed in the rain he was frightening.

Like so many TV shows it went a little too Long, the later stories for me were just so boring......I like the first three seasons, but found the later ones to have jumped the shark. The Death of the Incredible Hulk was actually pretty good......
                  Last edited by kingdom warrior; Mar 17, '12, 8:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎