• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Plot Synopsis for SPIDERMAN!

Sounds cool to me.

The Official Amazing Spider-Man Movie Synopsis | Spider-Man | Movie TV News | News | Marvel.com
    sigpic
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

already pulled

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Hmmmm. So his Uncle Ben being killed will no longer be the twist of events that makes him realize that with great strength comes great responsibility? I'm sorry, but this rehash is getting old. The first film explained his origin. The third film made a poor miscalculation by going back to it and blaming the Sandman for Ben's death. How many times will audiences endure the need to reexamine WHY Parker is Spiderman? Three movies in and we're going back to examine that AGAIN in the fourth installment? Heaven help us. Perhaps in the fifth installment he can be admitted to celebrity rehab where Dr. Drew reveals he is Mysterio. Then he can drop another bomb on Parker's brain... "I am YOUR FATHER!" NOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOooooooo....

Comment

• Cosmicman
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 12, 2005

I know you can count me out when it comes to watching this new movie. I know how Spider-Man is supposed to be and watching some director's rehash is not going to happen for me.
        More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• torgospizza
          Theocrat of Pan Tang
          • Aug 19, 2010

My question is, why even reboot it? Just tell a new story. If someone's going to go see it, they probably already know how he became Spider-Man. It's not like they've had to re-tell Tarzan's origin every time a new actor has played him, or explained how 007 became a spy when Roger Moore took over from Connery.
          Last edited by torgospizza; Jan 26, '12, 11:40 PM.

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

"Nerdy high-school kid gains spider-like powers"...BAM! That's all you've got to say and then move on to the new story. Hollywood is so stupid....
            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

Or better yet..."Spider-Man, Spider-Man...does whatever a spider can. Spins a web, any size. Catches thieves just like flies. Look out, here comes the Spider-Man!"

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 20, 2011

For those of you who haven't seen/read this, here is the synopsis:

One of the world's most popular characters is back on the big screen as a new chapter in the Spider-Man legacy is revealed in "The Amazing Spider-Man." Focusing on an untold story that tells a different side of the Peter Parker story, the new film stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Campbell Scott, Irrfan Khan, with Martin Sheen and Sally Field. The film is directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay written by James Vanderbilt, based on the Marvel Comic Book by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Laura Ziskin, Avi Arad, and Matt Tolmach are producing the film in association with Marvel Entertainment for Columbia Pictures, which will open in theaters everywhere in 3D on July 3, 2012.

"The Amazing Spider-Man" is the story of Peter Parker (Garfield), an outcast high schooler who was abandoned by his parents as a boy, leaving him to be raised by his Uncle Ben (Sheen) and Aunt May (Field). Like most teenagers, Peter is trying to figure out who he is and how he got to be the person he is today. Peter is also finding his way with his first high school crush, Gwen Stacy (Stone), and together, they struggle with love, commitment, and secrets. As Peter discovers a mysterious briefcase that belonged to his father, he begins a quest to understand his parents' disappearance – leading him directly to Oscorp and the lab of Dr. Curt Connors (Ifans), his father's former partner. As Spider-Man is set on a collision course with Connors' alter-ego, The Lizard, Peter will make life-altering choices to use his powers and shape his destiny to become a hero.
                Now, whilst this synopsis does not address whether or not Uncle Ben actually dies in the movie at the hands of a criminal that Peter COULD have stopped, if this event, in fact, does NOT take place in the movie, then how can it even be considered a Spider-Man film? Peter's guilt over not stopping the hoodlum that shot his Uncle Ben when he had the chance is THE seminal point in the origin of Spider-Man, much as the killing of Bruce Wayne's parents is what spawned THE BATMAN (see below). Having the death of Uncle Ben NOT be the driving force behind Peter adopting the persona of Spider-Man as a crimefighter, instead of as a way to make some fast bucks, is like saying that Superman is not the last surviving Son of Krypton. Without that driving factor, it basically just becomes a story about a kid who gets the powers of a spider, basically, S-MINO (Spider-Man In Name Only). I have grave fears that THAT is what will be spilling out over movie screens in America come this summer.

I, for one, am sickened by it. Sickened that Sony would dump Raimi and Maguire (who had their own drawbacks as well to a Spider-Man purist such as myself), yet greenlight a "Spider-Man" movie with a story as weak as the synopsis above (I mean, Pete's parents never freakin' abandoned him, they died for the luvva Christ!).

As for tying the Lizard/Oscorp to Spidey's actual origin, I think you have to go back to 1989 and thank Tim Burton for coming up with that little instant method for creating emnity between characters. In BATMAN canon, Bruce's parents were gunned down by a pennyante thief (Joe Chill) in a random act of violence which is what set the wheels in motion for Bruce BECOMING The Batman---to stop that act from happening to anyone else if at all possible. Of course, in the '89 flick, Sam Hamm and whomever else wrote the movie took the liberty of making a young Jack Napier (a.k.a. The Joker) the killer of Bruce's parents thus bringing the movie "full circle" when the two confronted one another at the end of the film. THAT still sticks in my craw. But I digress...

My ranting about "THE AMAZING(LY BAD) S-MINO" will continue...
                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                  For those of you who haven't seen/read this, here is the synopsis:

Now, whilst this synopsis does not address whether or not Uncle Ben actually dies in the movie at the hands of a criminal that Peter COULD have stopped, if this event, in fact, does NOT take place in the movie, then how can it even be considered a Spider-Man film? Peter's guilt over not stopping the hoodlum that shot his Uncle Ben when he had the chance is THE seminal point in the origin of Spider-Man, much as the killing of Bruce Wayne's parents is what spawned THE BATMAN (see below). Having the death of Uncle Ben NOT be the driving force behind Peter adopting the persona of Spider-Man as a crimefighter, instead of as a way to make some fast bucks, is like saying that Superman is not the last surviving Son of Krypton. Without that driving factor, it basically just becomes a story about a kid who gets the powers of a spider, basically, S-MINO (Spider-Man In Name Only). I have grave fears that THAT is what will be spilling out over movie screens in America come this summer.

I, for one, am sickened by it. Sickened that Sony would dump Raimi and Maguire (who had their own drawbacks as well to a Spider-Man purist such as myself), yet greenlight a "Spider-Man" movie with a story as weak as the synopsis above (I mean, Pete's parents never freakin' abandoned him, they died for the luvva Christ!).

As for tying the Lizard/Oscorp to Spidey's actual origin, I think you have to go back to 1989 and thank Tim Burton for coming up with that little instant method for creating emnity between characters. In BATMAN canon, Bruce's parents were gunned down by a pennyante thief (Joe Chill) in a random act of violence which is what set the wheels in motion for Bruce BECOMING The Batman---to stop that act from happening to anyone else if at all possible. Of course, in the '89 flick, Sam Hamm and whomever else wrote the movie took the liberty of making a young Jack Napier (a.k.a. The Joker) the killer of Bruce's parents thus bringing the movie "full circle" when the two confronted one another at the end of the film. THAT still sticks in my craw. But I digress...

My ranting about "THE AMAZING(LY BAD) S-MINO" will continue...
                  PREACH IT BROTHA! PREACH IT! SPOT ON!

Comment

• BlackKnight
                    The DarkSide Customizer
                    • Apr 16, 2005

I can't wait for Hollywood to once again Show us How Bruce Became Batman. I am so Tired of the re-telling of Origin Taking up 60% of the Movie. But others Scream lets bring on the Not Needed Re-boots. Get Your Guy ..., Team , Chick or Whatever , Pay em So They Never Leave ..., and Bring it for atleast 5 Flicks , No More than a Year and a Half a Part , and make something cool .
                    Last edited by BlackKnight; Jan 27, '12, 3:09 AM.
                    ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

One thing I am glad about is that the new movie features Gwen as Pete's love interest.

I didn't like how Raimi's movies totally sidelined her in favour of MJ.

(Admittedly, after decades of their romance in the books, the world rightly thinks of MJ whenever they think of Pete's lady, and I love her, but the Raimi movies gave Gwen short shrift.)
                      Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jan 28, '12, 3:21 AM.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

I guarantee that Uncle Ben will die. That's not something I think they would change.
                        sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

It's worth pointing out that the Raimi/Maguire franchise held the top positions in comic adapted movies after Dark Knight. Both domestically and globally. Here are the worldwide figures:

Dark Knight - $1,001,921,825.00
                          Spider-man 3 - $890,871,626.00
                          Spider-man - $821,708,551.00
                          Spider-man 2 - $783,766,341.00

The next closest hero film? Iron Man 2 at $623,933,331.00. Nearly $160 million off the least performing Spider-man film. Collectively the Raimi films have grossed $2,496,346,518.00. That's quite a statement folks. Now there will always be debate about preference to which of those was the best. But money talks. And those figures clearly state that audiences liked that cast. Sony is banking it was nothing more than character appeal and that ANYONE can wear the costume.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

That synopsis sounds like they're playing up the angle where Peter Parker's parents were some sort of spies....I never really liked that storyline...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Now, if they could tie the spy angle into the Cap movie's Red Skull, I'd be more into it.

Not sure about the movie, but that synopsis is poorly written. It reuses the word "story" 3 times in one sentence.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎