Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

What the heck is going on with all of these creative changes already? The latest:

Newsarama has confirmed with multiple sources that George Pérez is off as writer and breakdown artist of Superman.

The new creative team as of Superman #7 will be writer Keith Giffen and Dan Jurgens on layouts and/or pencils. Pérez may remain on the title as finisher/inker.
    Boy, Giffen and Jurgens are cleaning up lately on assignments...
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

After one issue released, the meltdown has begun...
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Not a bit surprised. Once the gimmick cools off, your left with just the stories. And THAT is what keeps these going. DC could very well regret this move.

Comment

• ctc
          Fear the monkeybat!
          • Aug 16, 2001

>Once the gimmick cools off, your left with just the stories.

Hence the constant quest for new gimmicks.

Don C.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Jurgens and Giffen have worked consistently for DC for 30 years(!). They have gone to other companies, but always kept one toe in the DC pond. For some reason, they never really left.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
              The Packaging King
              • Dec 31, 2004

As it stands now Giffen and/or Jurgens will be having a hand in "Superman", "Justice League International", "Green Arrow", and "Omac"...

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Perez leaving a book after 6 (not 1) issue doesn't sound unusual to me. That's an arc. Who knows if DC is putting him on something else he'd rather do, or it could be associated with the tight deadlines DC instituting. Perez is a great creator, but since the 1980s he's never been considered fast. I mean really when I read Perez would be doing Superman, the first thing that popped in my head was "how long will that last."

Or it could be Perez was PO'ed about some of the changes made to the art in the Superman book, but he was only responsible for the breakdowns, so I doubt that is really it.

I like the fact Jurgens is going to be involved with Superman again and Giffen has done good work, too.

As for the creative shuffling, DC said it planned to keep a strict monthly deadline on the books, which is something folks have been complaining about for years. Unless the company does step in and shuffle on new talent when one of the creators drops the ball, how can DC be expected to keep the monthly schedule.

Some employees will only be disciplined when they are forced to be. That might cause some creators to flock to other companies, but on DC's part, it needs creators that can deliver on time.

I never had too much of a problem with late books until company continuity got so tied together that one late book started messing with the storyline or affected when another title that was on time could be published for the sake of the storyline.

But, I do like the fact DC is getting serious with their deadlines. Now, if it's true that Didio and other editors ask for so many changes or tweaks that deadlines can't be kept, then that might be a problem.

What I did think was funny is that the ad on the back of the Superman No. 1 is for Hotwheels and it features the traditional look of Superman, which I still feel is vastly superior to the crappy new costume.
                Last edited by madmarva; Oct 1, '11, 2:52 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

I imagine Lee will fall victim to deadlines eventually, but who will kick a VP off a book for incompetence?
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Jim Shooter is really ripping the DC reboot a new one in his blog.

His review of Red Hood and the Outlaws # 1 gets pretty scathing.

Jim Shooter
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

^ I love this line:

OPEN MESSAGE TO DC COMICS:

EVERY ISSUE SHOULD BE AN ENTRY POINT!

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>Jim Shooter is really ripping the DC reboot a new one in his blog.

Hmmmm.... a lot of his complaints sound like geezerisms.

>EVERY ISSUE SHOULD BE AN ENTRY POINT!

Like that. It's not an unmitigated statement, and it carries a lot of wisdom; but it's mired in the old way of thinking. For a traditional superhero book; yeah. Punctuated by the perpetual nature of said books, since you're not gonna see a lot of serious change during the run you can (and should) write it so anybody can jump in right away; or within an issue or two. But the problem with it is twofold, given the changing nature of comics:
                        -thanks to collections, graphic novels and online archives old books don't "go away" like they did. It's possible for a new reader to jump in at any point in the story.
                        -the kids today are used to comics with a progression, so having any issue a jumping in point seems repetitive to them. 'Course, they're not reading the superheroes (for now, anyhoo) partly because of the perpetual nature of the books, and the dreaded anual universal Mulligan.

Don C.

Comment

• aquatroy
                          Permanent Member
                          • Apr 28, 2002

"EVERY ISSUE SHOULD BE AN ENTRY POINT!"

I for one am very happy that this didn't happen. Selfish? Yes!
                          Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Still don't like a lot of the changes they've made.

But looking forward to the Justice Society title which is set on Earth 2.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

I'm enjoying the second issues of Animal Man and Swamp Thing... it's evident that they are somehow related given their explorations of "The Red" as related to "The Green". Really liking the art on Swamp Thing in particular.

The second issue cliffhanger reveal in Action was fun as well... Brainiac? We're definitely seeing a brash and headstrong Superman in training here. I'm actually quite surprised at how much I'm enjoying this ride... boots and jeans and all.

Green Lantern Corps, New Guardians and Red Lanterns are okay... although I think things really need to start to pick up soon to retain my interest.
                              My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

Here's a story on the first issue sales...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...4i-32g&cad=rja

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎